If I'm an Atheist and I am not a bad person, will I go to hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why create beings that, by their nature, will never satisfy your standards, only to punish them for constantly falling short of standards they could never hope to achieve?

Yeah, it's like giving a class an examination where the passing score is 100, but there are only 99 points worth of questions on the test.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's deeply circuitous.

Well, that's what having a little familiarity with Christian theology will get you! In a way, it's like any other subject; the general idea often is misleading and it takes a deeper study in order to see how everything fits together.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, it's like giving a class an examination where the passing score is 100, but there are only 99 points worth of questions on the test.

eudaimonia,

Mark

If that were the case, absolutely no one could be saved. Is that what you are saying Christianity teaches on the subject??

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What if the last question is written on your heart, and the answer is in your conscience?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, that's what having a little familiarity with Christian theology will get you! In a way, it's like any other subject; the general idea often is misleading and it takes a deeper study in order to see how everything fits together.
It's like releasing a virus that infects countless people, only to later saunter onto the scene with the alleged cure. "I made you sick, but I can also make you well. This is what you must do..."

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Myself not unlike others, the more I studied Christianity, the less believable it became.

What it really requires is; psychological gymnastics to reconcile the story and some just can't bend that way.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's like releasing a virus that infects countless people, only to later saunter onto the scene with the alleged cure. "I made you sick, but I can also make you well. This is what you must do..."

If God had "made" Men sick, you might have a point there. But you don't. Is this a good example of having "a little familiarity?" ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Myself not unlike others, the more I studied Christianity, the less believable it became.

What it really requires is; psychological gymnastics to reconcile the story and some just can't bend that way.

Perhaps that's where you fell short, sometimes a pretense of understanding hinders progress.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
If God had "made" Men sick, you might have a point there. But you don't. Is this a good example of having "a little familiarity?" ;)
God either made men sick directly or watched as it happened. Either way he endorsed the affliction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God either made men sick directly or watched as it happened. Either way he endorsed the affliction.

Well, THAT makes no sense. It wouldn't even pass muster in one of our courts. "Well sir, you knew that murders were going on in Baltimore, didn't you? Yet you didn't prevent any of them from happening. (gavel) I sentence you to....."

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps that's where you fell short, sometimes a pretense of understanding hinders progress.

Not in my case.

I was a Christian for 40 years and where I fell short, was in not taking the time to thoroughly examining Christianity and the NT from a historical the scholarly standpoint and I just assumed the story was valid.

So, I was open to acquiring new knowledge and oh boy, does a good objective review of the NT bring new knowledge. My goal was to not hinder reality and to be honest with what I discovered.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Well, THAT makes no sense. It wouldn't even pass muster in one of our courts. "Well sir, you knew that murders were going on in Baltimore, didn't you? Yet you didn't prevent any of them from happening. (gavel) I sentence you to....."
I wasn't saying it to suggest God ought to be sentenced. I was making the point that God allowed or caused humanity to fall into sickness. God then continued to watch as hell became the default place for everyone who has ever been born and then decided that the only way people can avoid this fate would be to believe a certain way.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
He did make them sick. He created the standards he expected human beings to satisfy, and he created human beings knowing that they would fail to satisfy those standards. I suspect you will try to pin this all on Adam and Eve, but the blame lays with their designer. He bears ultimate responsibility for his creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

The more I studied, the more I found it to be an eloquent metaphor, or allegory. "The Word" is the eternal law of good entailing good, and vice entailing suffering etc. Man may believe in the good, but flawed humanity can only really access it through faith, for he is only a contingently good player in the moral game. As Abelard argues IIRC, man may be judged by what he deeply believes in - but he must act according to his weaknesses. So Christ represents the crucified ideal, crucified because our weaknesses are real even if our hearts, through faith, can be 'bound up with his eternal blessedness' as an ideal to beleive in.

Maybe this is basic bible class stuff, but ar sunday school IIRC my mind was boggles by Noah and the ark.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The more I studied, the more I found it to be an eloquent metaphor, or allegory. "The Word" is the eternal law of good entailing good, and vice entailing suffering etc. Man may believe in the good, but flawed humanity can only really access it through faith, for he is only a contingently good player in the moral game. As Abelard argues IIRC, man may be judged by what he deeply believes in - but he must act according to his weaknesses. So Christ represents the crucified ideal, crucified because our weaknesses are real even if our hearts, through faith, can be 'bound up with his eternal blessedness' as an ideal to beleive in.

Maybe this is basic bible class stuff, but ar sunday school IIRC my mind was boggles by Noah and the ark.

As many biblical historians will state; the book is an excellent work of theology, it is not a work of reliable history. If one has faith in that particular theology, then good for them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.