If I'm an Atheist and I am not a bad person, will I go to hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Atheism is not a religion.
Doesn't Atheism require a God for you not to believe in? There have been studies done that show humans are wired or biologically predisposed to believe in something. Whether one believes in God or not the brain does its best to understand the world and construct beliefs to understand it, and from an epistemological perspective there is no fundamental difference.

Upvote 0

GodBlessed777

May 18, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't.

I don't believe in gods, so how can I be my own gods?

Fox News? Seriously?

Anything that you give preeminence, first place, honor, authority, represents what you worship. Atheists worship their ideals, their god is their intellect. Therefore, you defy the truth of the only true God of the Universe. That is a grave position to be in.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Some just reach out to the only anchor they see or sense, right before going under, and in their desperation, they find that there was really an anchor, although unseen, that somehow yanked them from the jaws of destruction. And they seriously needed that anchor. And it was there. And still is.

Jesus never forced or debated anyone into believing that He is, or that He is Who He says He is, and neither will i.

We all have the right to believe (or not) as we wish.

I respect each viewpoint expressed. I only ask that the respect is reciprocated. And it is heartening to see that in many instances on this thread, it is.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

svdbygrace

Jan 2, 2014
✟15,147.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Cool_Hand_Luke

#TotallyAwesome
May 9, 2006
Visit site
✟7,907.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I deny Jesus as a savior of mankind, but I do think historically speaking, he was a real person. I find it extremely unlikely there is a God of any kind, even more unlikely a god that actually "loves" his creation and for some reason cares so much if people love him back. And to make it clear too, I don't believe in the devil either. I'm an honest and caring person, I've never done an "evil" thing my entire life. With that all said, would I go to hell?

Common question and viewpoint from Atheists.
Trying to look at this in a more logical fashion.

All those concepts are found in the Bible. Hell is a concept set forth by the Bible. You cannot set them apart.

It is like saying I don't believe in Star Wars, but when I die, will I be absorbed into the Force so I can talk to others.

The creator of a new concept has the right to set forth the rules governing that new concept. God used the Bible to set forth the concept of heaven and hell and He alone has the right to set forth the rules governing how one may enter heaven and hell.

It would be like if you think you have the right to tell George Lucas that space flight is impossible and because you think it is impossible, then he has the whole story wrong. George is the the author not you. He has the right to define his concept however way he wants, regardless of what you may think.

Look at it another way. If we say 2+2=4, but you don't like the 2+2 part even though you do like the resulting answer of 4. You do not get to choose another equation like 9+7 and think you can come up with the same results.

As they say in Vermont, "you can't get theya from heya". You can't get into heaven without meeting the requirements set forth in the Bible and failure to meet those requirements automatically places you into hell.

So, how can someone enter heaven and avoid hell? Accept the author's right to set the standards and apply them. Because He loves you so much, He makes it so easy.

Romans 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0

pingpongdan

Dec 13, 2014
✟7,738.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life....unless you believe that I am He you will die in your sin. He also said, he who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already because he has not believed in the only begotten Son of God...... If you read the word you will find the answers you seek

Reactions: GodBlessed777
Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't.

I don't believe in gods, so how can I be my own gods?

Fox News? Seriously?
When atheists rail against theists, they are using the same fervor the religious use when making their claims against a secular society. You still believe in something, and you're willing to defend that belief. The entire discourse about religion stems from those who think they know more than the other guy.

Upvote 0

svdbygrace

Jan 2, 2014
✟15,147.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Would we accept this behavior from a dictator? From a human dictator, mind you..
What does our acceptance have to do with anything? God doesn't need our permission. It is not of the man who wills but of God. Have you had the gospel shared with you? If not would you like to hear it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Doesn't Atheism require a God for you not to believe in? There have been studies done that show humans are wired or biologically predisposed to believe in something. Whether one believes in God or not the brain is does its best to understand the world and construct beliefs to understand it, and from an epistemological perspective there is no fundamental difference.
Yes, from an epistemological standpoint, there is a fundamental difference between endorsing explanations for which there is no good evidence, or even evidence to the contrary, and endorsing explanations that are well-substantiated. From an epistemological standpoint, there is a fundamental difference between demanding absolute and unquestioning certainty in a doctrine, regardless of whether there is reason sufficient to warrant that level of certainty, and allowing doubt and inquiry and demanding that beliefs be justified. From an epistemological standpoint, there is a fundamental difference between religion's attitude to doubt as a "sin" that must be vanquished, and science's attitude to doubt as a vital part of intellectual growth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Actually if you read Romans 1 we find that there is no such thing as atheism. All have no excuse as all have had God revealed to them.
Amen! He will reveal Himself to whom He has revealed Himself to, and He will chose whom He has chosen. Those whom He has revealed Himself can reject Him but those whom He has chosen cannot.

Upvote 0

ccmission

Aug 20, 2011
Chandigarh NORTH INDIA
✟16,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I deny Jesus as a savior of mankind, but I do think historically speaking, he was a real person. I find it extremely unlikely there is a God of any kind, even more unlikely a god that actually "loves" his creation and for some reason cares so much if people love him back. And to make it clear too, I don't believe in the devil either. I'm an honest and caring person, I've never done an "evil" thing my entire life. With that all said, would I go to hell?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, from an epistemological standpoint there is a fundamental difference between endorsing explanations for which there is no good evidence, or even evidence to the contrary, and endorsing explanations that are well-substantiated. From an epistemological standpoint, there is a fundamental difference between demanding absolute and unquestioning certainty in a doctrine, regardless of whether there is reason sufficient to warrant that level of certainty, and allowing doubt and inquiry and demanding that beliefs be justified. From an epistemological standpoint, there is a fundamental difference between religion's attitude to doubt as a "sin" that must be vanquished, and science's attitude to doubt as a vital part of intellectual growth.
A system of thought adhered to by a group of people about the nonexistence of a God is still a religion. Check out the Church of American Secular Humanism.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When atheists rail against theists, they are using the same fervor the religious use when making their claims against a secular society. You still believe in something, and you're willing to defend that belief. The entire discourse about religion stems from those who think they know more than the other guy.
What does any of that have to do with atheism being a religion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Which testifies to the fact that atheism is a religion. It's just a religion that doesn't posit the existence of a supreme being, but it's still a religion. It has its sacred texts, its saints, and its dogmas. It defines ultimate reality for the devotees. There even are its heretics, as we can witness whenever atheists get in to spats about exactly how "atheism" is to be defined.

Upvote 0

ccmission

Aug 20, 2011
Chandigarh NORTH INDIA
✟16,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I understand of what you believe what not you believe as well But my answer is JESUS SAID I AM THE WAY, TRUTH AND LIFE NONE CAN GO TO THE FATHER WITHOUT ME EITHER GOOD PERSON OR BAD PERSON BUT HE LOVES ALL REGARDLESS THAT IS WHY HE DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY ONE PERISH TO CHOICE WRONG WAY AND HE CAME TO SAVE ALL IN ORDER TO TAKE TO HEAVEN WHERE HE DWELLS AND WAITING FOR HIS CHILDREN WHO ARE OBEDIENT AND WILLING TO ACCEPT HIM AS SAVIOR AND THE LORD IN THEIR LIFE.

Upvote 0

ilovethelordJesus

Feb 2, 2015
✟216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To nonbeliever314 - You - or I or any human - are not in any position to judge what is evil. The Creator is. He says that we have ALL sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. The Bible says to lean not on our own understanding. It also says that our hearts are desperately wicked.

Denying Jesus as savior is evil in itself.

Ask God to open your spiritual eyes. He is only pleased with us when we have FAITH. Believe and you will begin to see!

Fear the Lord - Psalm 111:10 - "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise."
Romans 9:20 - "On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, 'Why did you make me like this,' will it?"

Confess - Say your sins to God and tell Him that you're sorry (if, in fact, you are).

Repent - Which means to turn from your sin.

Be Baptized - By full immersion.

Read the Word.

Pray. Talk to God. Ask Him to help you. Ask Him to help others. Tell Him if you feel lost. You can even tell Him that you don't know what to say to Him!

May you find the peace in Him which surpasses all understanding. Philippians 4:7 - "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

To All - I am not very familiar with this website, but going by the name, "Christian Forums," I am surprised and disappointed to see what many of the replies on this thread say. It seems that there is hardly anyone who wants to advise and help this lost person according to God's Word.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.