If I'm an Atheist and I am not a bad person, will I go to hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If God is so omnipresent, where is he?

God isn't hiding from you. You can find Him in the same place I found Him; in the Bible. He says in His Word, the Bible, that anyone who earnestly seeks or searches for Him will find Him. True born-again Christians were non-believers before they became Christians. Christians don't have all of the answers to atheists' questions. Christians found the truth of the Gospel message by hearing/reading the scriptures that proclaim the Gospel and through the convincing influence of the Holy Spirit.

Atheists can debate the truth of the Bible with Christians forever, but they, atheists, will NEVER be convinced of the truth of the Bible by debating Christians. Being convinced of that truth will come only by the working influence of the Holy Spirit as an unbeliever hears or reads scripture. Many people say they "believe in God" or they "believe in Jesus" but that isn't the same as believing the Gospel message. The Bible says that the devil and his angels believe in Jesus, but their eternal life will be in hell. Believing in Jesus is more that just believing that He existed or even that He died on the cross. Simply believing the facts about Jesus does not make one a Christian.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that must be another difference between you and other posters in this thread then. It appears other Christians feel they can, because they talk about "true Christians". If you talk about "true Christians", that must mean they know what a fake one is.
I cannot see how anyone could ever be able to tell. The Bible says that out of faith good works will come, but how could we differentiate the good works of a believer and an unbeliever? If someone tells me they are a Christian, I'm not going to question that because the relationship between them and God is a personal one, but even if their actions contradict this I still wouldn't assume they're not a true Christian. I don't think an unbeliever would give that Christian the same courtesy though.

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Where does he come in, what does he do?
I could go on and on about my beliefs, and what I understand about God but it truly that's His will to change a person. The apostle Paul's conversion is an example of this.

Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I could go on and on about my beliefs, and what I understand about God but it truly that's His will to change a person. The apostle Paul's conversion is an example of this.
If people only change based on God's intervention then how is it ethical to punish those that do not?

Upvote 0

GillDouglas

Reformed Christian
Dec 21, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟29,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If people only change based on God's intervention then how is it ethical to punish those that do not?
It's not only about God's intervention, but the choice to accept His forgiveness of your sins. This is the rejection of God that would result in damnation.

Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

Asyncritus

Asyncritus
Dec 31, 2010
UK
✟16,206.00
Country
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Seems clear enough, doesn't it?

Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where does he come in, what does he do?

Good question!

The Holy Spirit, God, will work only through the preaching/teaching/hearing/reading of scripture. The Holy Spirit, convinces the unbeliever of his/her need to have their sins forgiven and points him/her to the Gospel message. The unbeliever must be exposed to the scriptures by hearing or reading them. Then the Holy Spirit will began His influence as He draws the person to believe the Gospel message. The unbeliever will choose to either believe or reject that message.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
You missed my entire argument. I know 1+1=2 and I cannot believe otherwise until I am convinced otherwise.

I hope you get how belief works someday.
I'm glad to hear it. Don't even consider 1+1 =3, and the assertion that the existence of God is 1+1=3 to you means you, my friend, have missed it entirely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
It's not only about God's intervention, but the choice to accept His forgiveness of your sins. This is the rejection of God that would result in damnation.
I'm glad to hear it. Don't even consider 1+1 =3, and the assertion that the existence of God is 1+1=3 to you means you, my friend, have missed it entirely.
That was not my point. My point was that belief is not a choice. I do not believe in God and cannot until convinced that a God exists.

Upvote 0

spiritman

Jul 4, 2008
✟11,991.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I deny Jesus as a savior of mankind, but I do think historically speaking, he was a real person. I find it extremely unlikely there is a God of any kind, even more unlikely a god that actually "loves" his creation and for some reason cares so much if people love him back. And to make it clear too, I don't believe in the devil either. I'm an honest and caring person, I've never done an "evil" thing my entire life. With that all said, would I go to hell?

According to the Holy Bible anyone that doesn't believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior will die in their sins and end up in hell. The Word of God states that "all have sinned" and there is "none righteous". If interested I can explain in more detail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't kill or torture anyone. I don't have any idea why you are suggesting I would.
I didn't say you would personally. I asked if you'd kill if God asked you to and you very strongly said no. We know from your track record on this issue that you approve of God torturing non-Christians. You appear perfectly fine with the prospect of all Non-Christians suffering torment for eternity on God's orders but object to the prospect of killing for God.

Why is killing a red line but not torture?

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
I cannot see how anyone could ever be able to tell. The Bible says that out of faith good works will come, but how could we differentiate the good works of a believer and an unbeliever? If someone tells me they are a Christian, I'm not going to question that because the relationship between them and God is a personal one, but even if their actions contradict this I still wouldn't assume they're not a true Christian. I don't think an unbeliever would give that Christian the same courtesy though.
A true Christian is simply a Christian, not a Christian in name only. Apparently some wildly high percentage of people in America claim to be Christian. Considering the state of our nation, that isn't even possible. By their fruits...

Reactions: GillDouglas
Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
I didn't say you would personally. I asked if you'd kill if God asked you to and you very strongly said no. We know from your track record on this issue that you approve of God torturing non-Christians. You appear perfectly fine with the prospect of all Non-Christians suffering torment for eternity on God's orders but object to the prospect of killing for God.

Why is killing a red line but not torture?
Your statement that I approve of God torturing unrepentant sinners is not true and I never said so. Firstly, I don't believe what God does is torture. Secondly, I'm not at all at peace with people suffering in hell, separated from God forever. I have no idea what it would be like to be separated from God, nor do I wish to know. Personally, I believe the mere act of living for eternity away from God, KNOWING you rejected Him (because at that point you will know), would be torture. You may not find that torturous. I would. Apparently God believes you will as He states pretty clearly it will not be pleasant for you. If I had it my way, everyone would repent and enter the kingdom of heaven. What does someone have to convince you of to avoid that? What would convince you there is a God?
I don't understand why God set things up the way He did. I just know that He did. It's not for me to tell God what He does is right or wrong. How dare I? I am the creature. He is the creator. Personally, I don't think it is very wise to thumb your nose at God because you don't agree with His actions.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Last edited:
Reactions: ron4shua
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.