• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

If I commit suicide...

If I commit suicide, I will...

• go to heaven

• go to hell

• ...unsure...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
I find it really interesting that there are people in here discussing on suicide, even though they've never experienced it.

Depression is one cause of suicide, but when you get to the state of suicide, your whole character changes.

People who have gone through suicide are a long way off, or very different to those who are depressed, depression is about feeling helpless, suicide is about ending it all.

The steps between depression and suicide isn't one step, it's a down slope hill, once you slip, you keep going down and it's a far way down the hill.

For the people who did suicide, all I can do is pray for them, and hope Jesus will find some peace within them, after all they had gone through.

Suicide isn't about the person being too stupid, and hence killing themselves, it's a psycology factor that makes them find the simplest way of getting rid of the pain.

Most suicides are caused by the people around them, and if you ask me, I think those inconsiderate a-holes who cause and oppress people to suicide ought to be dealt with and hope Jesus could fill their hearts with compassion to others.

Back when I was planning to suicide, I know that cutting myself felt good, but what saved me at the end of the day, was prayer.

So for the inconsiderate people in this forum, who keep telling people who want to suicide, to get over it else go to hell...I think you need to get over yourself and understand the real problem at stake here!

Cause God isn't stupid!

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Icystwolf said:
Cause God isn't stupid!
I agree. Some people seem to think God is some kind of sorting machine, so they think suicide=murder=hell, but I don't think it's as simple as that. I think God has compassion and understands these things and doesn't just drop people into hell like an unfeeling machine.

Upvote 0

Cherberrie

running to stand still
Jul 30, 2003
Florida
✟582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sp0ck said:
What were you taking that stopped working after 14 yrs(not to get too far off topic)? Thanks.

I took Prozac for about 10 years, then it just didn't seem to work anymore. So then I was on Wellbutrin till the current switch to Paxil CR.

Upvote 0

Cherberrie

running to stand still
Jul 30, 2003
Florida
✟582.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sp0ck said:
Ok, just curious thanks. Also, I have taken paxil for 5+ yrs but took CR top be less tired and it didn't work for me. Strange I know.
You're very welcome! :)

It's not at all strange. Everyone has different chemistry, I know Paxil has not worked for some of my friends. The Paxil CR didn't help me on the initial dose I was on, so my doc upped my dose a bit and it has worked. I take it at night because it does make me tired, but I actually can get up in the morning as opposed to sleeping in extremely late.

If you want to talk more about it let me know.

Upvote 0

Wypadek

Just call me Pad
Mar 10, 2002
Take a left at the milky way and you'll run right
✟1,194.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would just like to say that there is only one unforigvable sin, and it is NOT suicide.

"Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness but is subject to eternal condemnation" Mark 3:28-29

Okay, with that said, I have NOT read any other posts, so I don't know if this has been stated, if it has, sorry for the redundency! :sorry:

For those of you who don't understand what that verse said, the way I understand it is, if you say the work of the Spirit is the work of the devil, that is blasphamy against the Holy Spirit.

Okay, that is my two cents, I don't know if I am gonna come back to check what people say, I may, I may not, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Oh, the quote is the NKJV

Upvote 0

suzie

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,406.00
Faith
Christian
This seems like such a simple question but it is really very complex.

We cannot get into the minds of those who suffer from depression or mental illness. Most of them have physical properties to their mental condition. Even though they may be seeking the right treatment, doing the right things and having a relationship with God, they could also have changes in medication needs, as some of you pointed out, medications can for whatever reason become ineffective after a time (this is not only seen with psychotropic meds, but in all realms of medication usage), etc. To automatically believe that this leads to eternal condemnation is not my belief or opinion. Someone may have just accepted Christ while going through crisis. Or after taking an OD may be remorseful and repent....there are many scenerios.

God is the final judge and thank goodness it isnt in our hands!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

water_ripple

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟1,561.00
Faith
Christian
I think suicides go to hell because this is a sin you cannot ask for forgiveness. And believe me, I DO NOT intend this as a way of offending anyone or causing anyperson pain with this thought. This comes VERY close to home for me because my cousin who was like a brother committed suicide. This has caused great and terrible amounts of pain and anguish for me. Trying to imagine what he was going through, and feeling guilty for not knowing. Trying to imagine his hurt and dispair... O it is an awful state that has left me with a great residual furnace of anger inside me. I pray to God to help me with. With His strength I grow quieted every day. I would beg anyone who would consider this as an option to think for 10 seconds before they do it. Someone loves you no matter if they understand you or not. Only God really understands any of us.

Upvote 0

DoomMoose

I have Head Pigeons
Aug 19, 2003
A Cardboard Box
✟8,057.00
Faith
Agnostic
Sometimes its just better to die.I discourage suicide but sometimes
its the better way. Im refering to euthenasia for terminal or painfull
illness.Suicide for depression is a touchy subject.If there is a god
i dont think he would send them to hell for ending the emotional pain.

Upvote 0

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i don't believe suicide is just a lack of trust in God.
sometimes, it's like i'm stuck in this state, where everything is caving in on me. i can't think, and i'm just in a state of panic. it's like i'm this horrible thing that has to be removed from this world. i feel like i've let everyone down. and it's like i'm hurting other people by all the things i do. ...that i've let God down way too many times. i feel like i'll never get better, because of ME. not because God can't help me; but because i'm so stubborn and messed up. and there are a lot of real personal issues tied to that, that's been going on fo a long time (won't expain it though).

i can't even fully remember how i feel. but i wish that maybe, i'll just disapper after i die. i'm afraid to see God's face, and the anger He might have towards me, if i commit suicide. i don't know. it's totally freaky...

Upvote 0

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
wblastyn said:
When you become suicidal you just don't care anymore, it doesn't matter how many Bible verses you quote, the person just won't care.

wow, so i finally read the previous quotes. i think someone disagreed with that? but i, on the other hand, totally agree with you.

people are always quoting bible verses to me, telling me to have faith, to read the bible, to pray...
it doesn't work. people might as well tell me that i'm hopeless, because it just doesn't help. ...nor do i want to do all that. and people can also say "you know it's satan, so just read anyways" or "fight against those thoughts"...but truth is, I CAN'T. i don't know. it's maybe because i'm too tired of fighting. i honestly don't know why i can't do all that. leaves me confused and feeling like a worse heathen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cutes4Jesus said:
I voted hell cos i guess its almost cheatin in Hebrews 12 1-12 it says'let u run the race and never give up' so you giving up and thinking you are going to heaven is like trying to get to that reward in heaven by illegtimate means.God is supposed to choose when we've ran our race,and our ready to join him.Im no stranger to depression,I get so low but im overcoming and yes ive felt suicidal but since becoming a christian ive realised how selfish it is...how wonderful when 'i' die and let Christ live in me,lets put to death our old sinful selves with all our insecurities and doubts and useless thinkin which leads to depression not our bodies. the Bible talks about brothers and sisters falling away from the faith,yeh backsliders can repent and come back into the fold but those who have murderd themselves cannot,we can only be forgiven for our sins if we repent...on this earth.

that just tears me up on the inside.
i never think of suicide and think of heaven at the same time. and suicide = selfish? i feel like me being alive is being selfish. that people have to deal with me. that my very existence brings people pain. that is what i believe to be the most selfish part about me. and you can say "it's all in my head". but when i'm that low, it's impossible to believe otherwise.

i'm normally depressed every second of the day. i've even been at a point where i was extremely depressed. but suicide is a different feeling. i'm not saying you haven't felt suicidal before...but it's impossible to say that those that commit suicide are being selfish. for all i know, i doubt that they're thinking about themselves and what they will receive from it, before they do it. they just want the pain to end.

Upvote 0

Gladiator

Jul 12, 2004
✟113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ!

What happens to a Christian if he commits suicide? Does he go to heaven or hell? Does he go to be with Christ (2 Cor. 5:7), which is far better than this life (Phil. 1:23), or is he thrown into the lake which burns with fire and brimstone (Rev. 21:8)?

The Bible clearly affirms that true believers have eternal life and will not come into judgment since they have passed from death into life (John 5:24). There is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:1). Consequently, when believers die they go to be with Christ in paradise (Luke 23:43).

On the basis of the preceding paragraph, we should conclude beyond the shadow of a doubt that all true believers who may have committed suicide are in heaven right now. However, some have suggested that there are other reasons that could lead us to draw the opposite conclusion. Let us examine them to see if they are cogent and compelling.

1. The Bible teaches that no murderer is saved. 1 John 3:15 says, “Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him” (see also Rev. 21:8; 22:15). Since suicide is a form of murder, the person that commits suicide is a murderer and thus does not have eternal life.

It is important to note that the Bible also says that all liars will go to hell (Rev. 21:8). And without a doubt all Christians lie from time to time. Does this imply that all Christians are lost? Not at all! The point is that if ones life is characterized by lying, hating or murdering then that person is not a Christian and will not inherit eternal life.

A Christian, who in a weak moment, falls into the sin of self-murder cannot be characterized as a habitual murderer. Furthermore, King David fell into the sin of murder, yet he was saved. The argument from 1 John 3:15 and similar passages is not very persuasive.

2. No true Christian would ever commit such a heinous sin like suicide. This argument is simply incompatible with the biblical record of the sins of the saints. David engaged in adultery and murder. Peter publicly denied the Lord three times to a servant girl and a believer in Corinth was guilty of incest.

The Westminster Confession of Faith states, correctly I believe, that true believers “may, through the temptations of Satan and of the world, the prevalency of corruption remaining in them, and the neglect of the means of their preservation, fall into grievous sins; and, for a time, continue therein: whereby they incur God's displeasure, and grieve his Holy Spirit, come to be deprived of some measure of their graces and comforts, have their hearts hardened, and their consciences wounded; hurt and scandalize others, and bring temporal judgments upon themselves.”

3. Suicide is unforgivable. According to Jesus there is only one unforgivable sin and that is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Matt. 12:21). Suicide is not blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

4. If you die with unrepentant sins you will go to hell. If this argument were true then no one would go to heaven. None of us is perfect in this life and we all have sins that we are unaware of. As a result we will all die with unrepentant sins. If you are lying to your spouse at the moment Christ comes back, will you go to hell? If in a burst of sinful anger you yell at your children and storm out of the house only to be hit by a car and die, will you go to hell?

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law (Gal. 3:13). Our sins do not put us as believers back under the curse. There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ!

5. A combination of arguments #2 and #4. We can die with ‘small’ unrepentant sins and still be saved but it is not possible to be assured of salvation if we die with heinous ones. One minister has written, “Unfortunately, if we take our last breath and our life ends with unrepentant sin, we cannot go to God’s holy Heaven. It is impossible for one to ask God’s forgiveness for the heinous sin of suicide after they have died. A murderer can repent and be saved (King David did), but suicide victims have no time to repent to find forgiveness. We must not be deceived. Without exception, all unforgiven murderers will end up in the lake of fire.”

This argument cannot be sustained because all sins, great and small, are worthy of hell. Also, combining two bad arguments does not make one good argument. Two leaky buckets will not accomplish the goal of holding water! If it is possible for a Christian to commit heinous sins and if it is possible to be saved with unrepentant sin, then it is conceivable for a Christian to commit suicide and go to heaven.

None of the reasons offered to argue that Christians who commit suicide go to hell are biblically convincing. It is the clear and unequivocal testimony of Scripture that all “true” believers who commit suicide are now with the Lord, for “where sin abounded, grace abounds much more” (Rom. 5:20).
============

Upvote 0

Gladiator

Jul 12, 2004
✟113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Judeo-Christian tradition holds that God alone has the right to give and to take human life. The willful taking of human life is a sin against the divine image inborn in God's highest creation. (Gen.1:26; 2:7; 9:6) God is sovereign, appointing both the end and the beginning of our days. (Job 14:5; Psalm 139:16)

Murder is condemned in Scripture. (Ex.20:39) Suicide is self-murder. A Christian, with the help of the Holy Spirit, should be able to cope with the stresses that sometimes lead to suicide. A wholesome fear of God and hell provide a strong deterrent to the act of suicide.

The specific instances of suicide recorded in Scripture -- Saul and his armour bearer (1 Samuel 31:4,5) Ahithophel, (2 Sam. 17:23), Zimri, (1 Kings 16:18,19), and Judas Iscariot -- all seem to have sad spiritual, as well as physical, ends. We do know that Satan is the deceiver who comes to kill, steal and destroy. The promotion/glorification of suicide in the rock music and drug culture, combined with the reincarnation teachings of the New Age philosophy, are contributing to the increase and acceptance of suicide in our society, all of which are inspired of Satan. We do not fully understand the causes of major mental illness and must therefore exercise some caution in declaring that ALL persons (Christians) who commit suicide are eternally lost. God alone knows the thoughts, intent of the heart, and mental condition of these persons at the time of suicide. It is sufficient to know the Judge of all the earth will do right. Genesis 18:25

Upvote 0

bnkessler

Jul 7, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟274.00
Faith
Christian
This post really interests me. I have been wondering the same thing. I have attempted suicide once before, I have suicidal thoughts frequently. I agree, that I do not think suicide is the answer, but when I feel suicidal I don't see things as clearly as I do when I am not. If you've never felt suicidal then I think it's hard to understand why someone would ever consider this an option and this is a really tough question to think about for me.

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
bnkessler said:
This post really interests me. I have been wondering the same thing. I have attempted suicide once before, I have suicidal thoughts frequently. I agree, that I do not think suicide is the answer, but when I feel suicidal I don't see things as clearly as I do when I am not. If you've never felt suicidal then I think it's hard to understand why someone would ever consider this an option and this is a really tough question to think about for me.
I guess i totally agree here. Not only do I think that people who have never experienced this should not dare to open their mouths, I think that it is hard to believe that there are people who have not considered this.

I am Pentecostal Christian, so I claim...it is a sin to commit suicide and I guess I have been to teh point I just dont care. I dont think you go to hell...

I KNOW IT

So I guess now people are going to criticize me for saying I know somethign without proof..yeah well I cannot prove that God is real..I can give examples and say i know it is in my heart, but all i can do is say I am alive and hope people leave me alone after that.

I have been there...well havent really left. I have tried to commit suicide about 6 times...2 were half hearted and didnt really matter. I am 18, barely legal, never institutionalized and already tryign to end it all...wow...depressing in that alone!
I guess I can say that my fear of hell hasnt stopped me..it was when i was passing out from the pills that I took and realizing : I am going to die..[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] I was wrong..! And praying that stopped me. SO why do I still consider such a horrid thing? I guess that sometimes pain comes and bites you liek a chinese finger trap. sorry for the spelling here, its like 3am in Oregon and this forum is really one of the brightest spots in my life...and what i do when i cannot sleep.

Dont get me wrong...I am not going to waste myself anytime soon, but if i were ever going to try again I would make darn sure I wouldnt be coming back. It's not that i want this for others, I dont, but I dont really like..me...

I know that God says He wont give us more than we can handle..but I am only going to college this year as a freshman adn already so much has happened...

Upvote 0