• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

If I commit suicide...

If I commit suicide, I will...

• go to heaven

• go to hell

• ...unsure...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, well this can be a touchy subject, but if we are saved, then we are saved of all sin, past present and future, so I do not think that if a Christian commited suicide that he/she would go to hell. Suicide is a sin, but still we all sin, and does not mean that you are no longer God's.

Upvote 0

sparrow

God loves the sparrows
Mar 29, 2002
Oxfordshire, England
✟16,829.00
Faith
Christian
I put go to heaven, although I haven't looked for any kind of scriptural backup.
I just thought that God is a forgiving God, and he understands us. I think it's a terrible thing to do, and it would hurt God considerably. But ultimately, he would understand and forgive you for doing it.

Committing suicide is terrible though, it affects so many and causes so much pain... It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Upvote 0
Sorry, folks; I am skeptical that anyone'll go to heaven after committing suicide.

That is an interesting thought, Mr.Cheese ;).

And who will ever REALLY understand why you did it, ghoti? In my opinion, by starting this thread, you're looking for reasons NOT to kill yourself.

Here's an example of the apostle Paul discouraging suicide:

Acts 16:25-28
25 But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. 26 Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were loosed. 27 And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself. 28 But Paul called with a loud voice, saying, "Do yourself no harm, for we are all here."

And see: http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=802067#post802067

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is possible to go to heaven. Someone who commits suicide is obviously deeply depressed and maybe even some metal problems. Who are we to judge where they will go.

Once they are gone, only thing we can do is pray for their soul !

Upvote 0

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i put unsure...cuz i am battling this myself lately...

i'd like to think if/when i do it, i'll go to heaven. cuz its nice to think when u die u go to a better place. and ppl who consider suicide, are all ready living hell on earth, they ya kill urself, just to retur to a another hell, if not worser...

i;d hope, God is a forgiving God, and will understand, sumone who commits suicide isn't in their right mind..how can we ask for forgiveness....unless can do so b4, or during...(if possible)

my last suicide attempt, God and hell, and heaven was furthest from my mind. i was in like, a thick fog, all i could see was my "problems" i couldnt see nething else...it was unreal. if i woulda scceeded, i really don't see how God would condemn me to eternity in hell...

but...maybe God is mean? *shrugs*

i mean..afterall...he does allow pain and misery in ur life. sumtimes i wonder if he enjoys the 'show'...

if thats the truth, then...maybe he wont forgive, like he promises he will. and...u will go to hell, should u act on ur suicidal thoughts and succeed...

decisions, decisions, decisions....*sigh*

:hug: i hope ur not seriously considering suicide..if so get u sum help out there, k.

Upvote 0

ghoti

...hopeless...
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
✟7,744.00
Mr.Cheese said:
I wouldn't want to have to answer to God regarding why I felt I needed to do it.

What?

psyc, don't say sorry, just explain what you think and why. What does it matter if people don't understand why you did it? Once, you're gone, you're gone. People who commit suicide don't feel like people understand them to begin with. That's why they can't share their pain. Because others often just dimiss it and don't understand why one might feel pain so great and desperate that they just want to end life all together.

Anywayz, I think Paul was discouraging the jailor from killing himself because he had no reason to. His anxiety and terror could be relieved in an instant simply by knowing all the prisoners were there. But for someone who has depression, they struggle with life everyday. It doesn't end for them. It's not a temporary problem; it's their life.

I don't think suicide is the answer. I think God put us here on earth and gave us life because there's something beautiful and amazing about it. But discovering what that is, is the hard part.

I'm just curious as to what people think and why. Personally, I tend to lend towards they'll be allowed into heaven, but I don't know. I never understood why others think they'll go to hell, though. Is that just some reason to discourage people from killing themselves, or is there actually biblical scripture behind that?

So... why are you so skeptical?

Upvote 0

Vollkommen Warrior

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟917.00
Faith
Christian
I sometimes wonder if hell is having your soul putinto the body of a fly or other insignificant insects and required to live out an eternity as such. In regards to your question though, I would forgive you if I were God. Only those that haven't experienced where you are would not understand this. If you were my child, I would hold you until you were better, where are your parents?

p.s. The fact that you can even type in this condition amazes me, you must be another strong one.. I will pray for you friend!:pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I really don't have the answer. Only God has the answer, but why play Russian roulette with His mercy? Why take one of the most precious gifts there is, life, and just throw it back as if you don't want it?

Life is precious, no matter how you feel, there's always hope, there's always help.

Killing oneself is never the solution.

Before you think I'm a dogmatist or just someone with her head in the clouds preaching a bunch of worthless garbage, I've been there myself. Never attempted really, came very close several times though. Nevertheless, I came through it, and I'm telling you that you can as well.

:pray:ing for anyone here who feels that way.

Upvote 0

Sleepyd

Jun 24, 2003
London
✟1,101.00
Faith
Protestant
The bible says that no-one is tested beyond what they can handle. If they have accepted and taken Jesus as their guide, Lord and saviour the they should trust God being all powerful in their lives, and His power to help them through. Suicide shows a lack of trust and an ultimate turning away from God's creation, the plan for each of us here on Earth, and a rejection of his control. Jesus and Job are two examples of people that endured some of the the hardest suffering that anyone could ever cope with. However, they still stood firm and trusted that it was within God's plan. - Because of these reasons I put hell.

If you put heaven I think thats err-ing towards the idea that we should kill all children at birth, and that everyone should just do what they feel like to cope with problems, rather than taking a righteous, and commanded way to deal with these things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
i think they would go to heaven, but it would cause much grieving in the heart of God and others. suicide is also illegal and we are supposed to follow the laws of our land...

That being said, I know life is difficult and there are obstacles that are not fun to deal with at all. I am currently on antidepressants, so if anyone feels they need to talk to someone, I am here for you.

God can use ALL things for his Glory and Good will, no matter how bad they are. To think of why God allows pain... I read a book once, "Where is God When it Hurts". It did a great job of putting a more tangible description to pain. Think of those with the disease of leprosy, it is a skin disease which is also mentioned in the Bible several times. Anyway many people think the disease is something that causes the skin to rot off. That is faulty. The disease is one where the person cannot feel pain. So if they were to step on a sharp object they would not feel it. This allows bacteria to infest the cut and cause the skin to rot and thus the cycle of leprosy.

Anyway, pain is a warning sign, but it is also a blessing. It is a sign that you are alive, that you are human, that you are normal. God loves you all very much and wants you to lead wonderful lives. But He also wants you to know when something is wrong, so he allows us to feel pain.

I know the thing that has kept me somewhat sane the past six months is knowing that one day God will use me with my painful experiences to help someone else. And if I am able to help one person, then I count my pain worth it (not that I would ever wish it happened, but my pain is nothing compared to helping someone else). I am praying for all of you and that God does wonderful things with your lives.

Upvote 0

GodOwnsMe

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
✟2,433.00
Faith
Christian
well (to ghoti not seeing how life can be good...)
there's something cool Jesus said ..like
all the burdened an weary people should come to Him and He'd give them peace and rest and they should take His yoke, which is light and not unbearable....

So He give us peace, I think there's also verses on joy... & there's love. I think thats one major thing making it so worth living. Being loved by God and loving, thats just awesome :)

as for having stuff getting you way down-like depression, remembering this was way cool & helpful to me recently: Don't tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big God is!
Well I think its way important to run to God with all our stuff ....... I can get pretty negative sometimes its like an escape...... but no matter how bad this stuff we suffer from is, God is above that & it can't divide us from His love..................
as 4 the question I'm not sure...

Upvote 0

LadyBird

Dance Me to the End of Love
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have no idea. but there was this girl in my care group and she asked this question and someone said that the person would go to hell because killing yourself is murder, and obviously murder is a sin and since it is a sin, the person cannot repent because they are dead thus they go to hell. i dont know if that is right or wrong...thats just what i heard but not neccessarily believe.

Upvote 0