• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

If I commit suicide...

If I commit suicide, I will...

• go to heaven

• go to hell

• ...unsure...

Results are only viewable after voting.

ghoti

...hopeless...
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
✟7,744.00
Blanton, that sounds interesting, but it kinda reminds me of people who cut themselves. Do they do that to feel alive?

tina, I've heard things like that as well, but it doesn't make any sense to me. For example, what about someone who gets shot and dies before they even realize it? They don't have time to repent of their sins; would they go to hell? I would think not. (Once again, assuming they were a christian and saved.)

Like I said, I tend to lean towards they'd go to heaven. I don't understand why they would go to hell. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it. I wish someone would explain it...

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
i don't know why people cut themselves. there is some imbalance somewhere that makes them self injurers. that is not the same to say that God allows pain just to watch us struggle. He doesn't want us to hurt. His heart breaks when ours does.

Upvote 0

Rosebud

ReAdY tO rUn
Oct 10, 2002
Washington/Oregon
✟377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think it all depends on the whys.

As someone said, if a person is this desperate it's more then likely a mental problem...something that is beyond their control. Speaking from personal expierance wtih depression....I think it's definetly possible.

But if it is looked to as an easy way to get out of something-which it is once in a while- definetly not.

Upvote 0

singonly4him

Jun 25, 2003
seattle
Visit site
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
ghoti said:
Just kinda curious on what you guys think after reading the suicide thread. Assuming one was saved and a Christian while they were alive, if they commited suicide would they go to heaven or hell? Elaborate if you wish.
It's maybe the most tragic thing ever when someone takes their life, but if they HAVE accepted the Lord into their heart prior to that, they will go to be with Him in Heaven.

Upvote 0

Sleepyd

Jun 24, 2003
London
✟1,101.00
Faith
Protestant
Ok then, would you say it's the most humain thing to do that we kill new born children, and we all give in because life sucks and kill ourselves at the next available depression? What sort of body of Christ would we be then - a very weak one.

We all have a cross to bear - we recognise that as Christians, it's not going to be easy. Did Christ back out of dying for us? - no he didnt, and thats 100x worse than anything we have to encounter. Suicide is a sin that is final, we cease to exist it's one defining action that says 'I deny God's power to get me through'. I question whether that person has truly trusted God's soverignty and his plan for us, and it clearly says that we will not be tested beyond what our faith can withstand. Job didn't committ suicide and he lost everything. Anyway, for those who have had friends that have committed this action I would hope for them that God's merci extends to this grave deed. However, as Christians we must believe that it is a hell bound action, otherwise why would we try at all to cope in the way that God has ordained for his people?

Upvote 0
JeffreyLloyd said:
I believe it is possible to go to heaven. Someone who commits suicide is obviously deeply depressed and maybe even some metal problems. Who are we to judge where they will go.

Once they are gone, only thing we can do is pray for their soul !

Well I disagree, not because it is my opinion, but once the soul has departed the body, there is no prayer on earth or in heaven that will deter what GOD's judgment will bring. There is no repentance after death, so we can not repent for something we intend to do, because repentance is not just being sorrowful, but to turn from our wicked ways. For someone to go to GOD and say Lord, I ask you to forgive me of my sins and then after that we kill ourself, once we are dead there is no other chance for repentance, and repentance is making confession from our mouths to GOD that we realize we have sinned and TURN from that sin. You can't repent for something in the future and then go and do it. That is not total repentance; turning from that sin. There is but one lawgiver and one judge. Man doesn't have the right to decide when we want to leave this place. GOD has predestined our lives before we were born, and he never designed for us to kill ourselves. GOD is Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. We are saying to GOD that we are our own GOD when we put our lives into our own hands and make an eternal decision like that. Depression and suicide or tactics and demonic forces of the enemy to destroy us. The enemy comes to kill, steal, and destroy, but Jesus has come that we might have life and have it more abundantly.

So I say all that to say this, GOD doesn't "understand" when we kill ourself when we are his. Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Lord? It doesn't even belong to us. We are to present our "bodies" as a "LIVING" sacrifice, holy and acceptable, which is our REASONABLE service. It is just and it is required.

Depression is a spirit that wants to rob us of our livelyhood. The joy of the Lord is our strength. If we have the joy of the Lord, we would be strong enough to say "No devil, you want to rob me of my life, but Jesus has come that I might have life and have it more abundantly." I'm not saying there aren't times when we get tired and just want to go on to be with the Lord, but for us to take our lives into our own hands is a travesty. In essence to GOD when we take our life we are saying that we are our own GOD, because GOD gives life and he takes it away. When we overstep our boundaries and make decisions for ourselves, we are none of his. The word says "If you have not his spirit, you are none of his." The holy spirit is a teacher, a comforter, a guide and a counselor. The holy spirit would let you know that it isn't profitable for you to take your life. So when you commit suicide, you are already condemned. Your eyes will be opened in hell. The phrase "once saved always saved" is a lie straight from the pit, because the enemy wants to deceive believers that they can do whatever they want to do, and then go to heaven. Well, we can if we want, but I know when it is all said and done, if we choose to do contrary to GOD's will and die, we will be in hell and hear the enemy say "Thou fool!"

If there is anyone reading this, I implore you to believe GOD and his word. Please don't think for a hot second that you can kill yourself and reign in heaven. If it were so, there would be a much higher suicide rate of the saints of GOD. I mean, who doesn't want to go to heaven and kiss this wicked world good riddance? That is what we are striving for daily. But that is the point, we are striving daily to fulfill our kingdom requirements so that "when he calls our name", we will be ready to enter the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that are persecuted for his namesake. Should Jesus bear the cross alone and all the world go free? Not so! If Jesus had to endure the pain of OUR sins, what about us? Suicide is an insult to GOD that makes Jesus' death on the cross futile. Jesus paid it all, so when suicide is committed we are telling GOD that it wasn't good enough, and in essence deny Jesus. Just because you believe in him doesn't mean you can't deny him; Peter did and he walked with him! Even the devil and his demons believe who he is. So we could have been in every church service, spoken in tongues, possessed the fruits of the spirit and the indwelling of the holy spirit, but if we commit suicide we are condemned to hell. I pray someone has been touched by this and that some life shall be spared. Our souls are precious, and we can't play with our salvation. We must work it out daily with fear and trembling. Be blessed in the name of Jesus our Lord, the soon coming king. Just hold on saints, because it won't be much longer and we will see him face to face!

Upvote 0
Blanton911 said:
i don't know why people cut themselves. there is some imbalance somewhere that makes them self injurers. that is not the same to say that God allows pain just to watch us struggle. He doesn't want us to hurt. His heart breaks when ours does.

It is not the people that are hurting themselves or wanting to kill themselves. These are demonic forces that are straight from hell to kill us in our bodies, steal our souls from GOD, and destroy us in hell. We must remember Ephesians 6:10-20

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth and having on the breastplate of righteousness; and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; and for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in bonds; that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

So, to be driven by the enemy and his demonic forces and yield to them and not the all powerful hands of GOD, we don't belong to GOD and have no part of the Kingdom of Heaven. A lot of people try to put GOD in a box and don't realize the big picture. Our small minds can't comprehend just how great GOD is. People try to make sense out of GOD's ways naturally, but he is sovereign and a spirit. I have heard a lot of people say it doesn't make sense for a person that is saved to go to hell. But they do every single day. We have to modify the deeds in our body. He will hold us accountable, and suicide is eternal. No man can make a decision for GOD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tina, I've heard things like that as well, but it doesn't make any sense to me. For example, what about someone who gets shot and dies before they even realize it? They don't have time to repent of their sins; would they go to hell? I would think not. (Once again, assuming they were a christian and saved.)

So here is what I think of the whole suicide issue. I voted that you would go to Hell. Why would you take something from God, if HE wasn't done with you yet? Meaning if you had been to a church, know of Jesus Christ, but in committing suicide to me, your letting the devil win, and you might have just won your spot in Hell.
If you are a Christian and are saved but then something horrible happens like get shot or get into an accident, and were living a life without repentance surely you would have to face some kind of consiquence.
Otherwise why wouldnt everybody get saved just to be saved and live in a life full of sin..
"they dont have time to repent of their sins"~~That's not exactly God's fault that you didnt take the time to repent of your sins.. If you consider gambling a sin, and you went to Vegas for the weekend, sure thats not necessarily a good thing, but how long would it take for you to pray and ask God's forgiveness for that.. 2 seconds?
I believe if your a Christian and you sin, you repent right away or obviously when you realize you sinned..BUT you dont keep doing it over and over again, just because you were "once saved"

Upvote 0

Vollkommen Warrior

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟917.00
Faith
Christian
"Our small minds can't comprehend just how great GOD is. People try to make sense out of GOD's ways naturally, but he is sovereign and a spirit. I have heard a lot of people say it doesn't make sense for a person that is saved to go to hell. But they do every single day. We have to modify the deeds in our body. He will hold us accountable, and suicide is eternal. No man can make a decision for GOD."

Only part of this makes sense. People who are saved are saved, that's why they call it that, how do you know they go to hell? You don't. Secondly, have you ever suffered from severe depression to the point of feeling suicidal? Sounds like not. Let's suck all the seretonin out of your brain and see how well you hang on. I admire your faith and conviction, but you are putting God in a box with several of your own statements. Maybe be not so quick to judge and learn from others. I basically agree with a lot that you say here, for example not using suicide as a way out and who knows the consequences, but be careful being so judgemental of others. For the other who was making a character judgement that people are giving into satan or demons and therefore should be eternally punished or don't have enough "time" to repent?? That's the most outrageously rediculous comment. I agree that demonas can attempt possession but saying your at fault for giving in?? That's totally judgemental too. Let's take the mote out of our own eyes before doing all this judging. Truth is, only God has the answer and makes the judgement call. As to the argument of not enough time to repent? that's rediculous, like saying the buzzer rang and the ball went into the hoop too late (not you personally - but your statement seems a bit rediculous). The only thing we are required to do is be as close to perfect in following Jesus teaching as we possibly can. This is what I attempt to follow and fail miserable half the time but I am not giving up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
First and foremost Sp0ck, I want to respond to your comment about me judging. Please believe I am in no ways judging anyone on this forum. I am not attempting to take the mote out of anyone's eye. I am telling others what I know, and because I have been there. You can't discern what I have not been through by reading a couple of posts, because you said it sounds like I have never been in severe depression. I can write a book on all the things I have been through, and wanted GOD to take me home, but I never allowed the thoughts the enemy put in my mind like "kill yourself, no one cares anyway, GOD isn't real", and etc. I had my husband leave me and my son, I had him beat me up and threaten to kill me with a knife to my throat. I have been laid off, dead broke, had car repossessed, being in five figure debt with no one to help me, but I continued to call on the name of the Lord. I have been raped, but you know what? I thank GOD for all that I did go through (and I'm still going through) because I can let others know that they can make like I did through Christ Jesus! Even though I'm going through some awful things right now, I can still praise the Lord because he loves me and there are so many promises in his word that will come to pass if I obey.

Matthew 13:12-13 Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

This scripture tells us right here, that it's not just repeating the sinner's prayer that makes us get to heaven. It's what we go through in this life while still trusting in the Lord. We must endure until the end. It's not only that, but there is so much required of us. We know the word, so I don't have to give a bunch of scriptures to prove GOD's point. I'm not here to pass judgment, GOD is the judge. But he has mandated all of us to do a work. I didn't come here to share so that someone might agree. Many didn't agree with Jesus, but he continued to teach. I will just continue to pray.

If it wasn't for the Lord Jesus in my life and his holy spirit abiding in me, I might have taken offense to your comment about seeing how well I hang on if someone sucked all the serotonin out of my brain. How crude, but that's fine. In my weakness, GOD moves and makes me strong. That's why the word says let the weak say "I am strong!" No, I could not hang on of my own strength. It was all the Lord's doing, so I give him all the glory. So, it sounds like more to me that you are passing judgment on me, and you had no clue of all the things I have been through in my life. I have been through much more than I have shared, but I thank GOD because in my 24 years on this Earth, he has shown me awesome things. I will never put GOD in a box. He is too expansive for my mind to imagine. I am not all that I should be, but I am striving to get there. I just try to give unto others through the spirit of what I have received.

Upvote 0

urbanfaerie

Veteran
Apr 17, 2003
gargamel's castle
Visit site
✟1,392.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Actually, everyday it takes great strength for me not to kill myself.

i hear ya. hell of a way to live...:sigh: ...but thats life, eh'..

ur a strong chicklet...u can keep fighting it. as will i, as will i...

sides, ur one the few ppl on here thats real. i'd miss seeing ur post if u was gone...

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
oneiric said:
Actually, everyday it takes great strength for me not to kill myself.

I know those struggles well, or at least, i did. I had chronic depression in my younger life and attempted suicide, self harmed etc. I woke up in the morning just wondering how i could kill myself if things got too hard for me as the day progressed. The days progressed. 14 years later, i'm still here, by the grace of God alone.

I wish there was some format to follow, but all you can do is LIVE and trust completely that God will help you through this time. If you don't happen to believe that, then trust in the fact that you're still here at this moment in time, so despite your suffering you CAN cope with it, because you have been coping. Maybe you haven't been coping brilliantly, but you managed to stay alive today, despite everything, therefore you are a survivor, just as we all are, in various ways.

Those of us who know what it is to walk along that knife edge of contemplating suicide, know only too well our weaknesses, rarely do we commend ourselves for our success in simply staying alive for another day. We should. For every extra day we live we are overcoming the desires for an end to our lives. Even if it doesn't feel like it.

Upvote 0