If God is Sovereign how can man be free?

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If God predetermined that a person do "x" then that person will do "x" and had no choice of his own in doing or not doing "x" for God decided for that person. That person is forced to do "x" for not doing "x" isn't an option. Therefore there is not free will for man is such a scenario.
You posted earlier that God has "predestined to happen everything which happens in His creation."
Therefore God did FORCE the man to overdose for the man had no other choice other than do what was forced upon him by God. If God predetermined he would overdoes, under what scenario could he have NOT overdosed? None for it was forced. You're having difficulty with logic on this issue. You cannot have it both ways in claiming God predetermined it to happen but the man had a choice in it.
You can use the straw man word "force" all you want. It is still just a straw man. It is not a teaching consistent with Calvinist doctrine.

WESTMINSTER CONFESSION OF FAITH:
"Although, in relation to the foreknowledge and decree of God, the first Cause, all things come to pass immutably, and infallibly; yet, by the same providence, He orders them to fall out, according to the nature of second causes (the free choices of men in many cases), either necessarily, freely, or contingently"
"God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass; yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established."

That is what Calvinists teach.

Your saying that God's decrees can not include the choices men make out of their own wills is only your teaching and it is a straw man.

God no more has to overrule the will of men in order to predestine their choices than He has to overrule the laws of nature in order to bring to past an earthquake which He has predestined to take place in the Tribulation period.

He no more has to force what our choices are in order to bring to past what He has predestined that we do than He had to force the the choices of Pilot and Caiaphas in order to bring to past what He predestined to happen to Christ at Calvary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can use the straw man word "force" all you want. It is still just a straw man. It is not a teaching consistent with Calvinist doctrine.

Force is not a straw man but exact depiction of what takes place in Calvinistic predestination.
Again, it is not logical on one had to say God predetermined all that happens but yet man is not forced to do what was predetermined for him. If man is not forced in this scenario, then what is he?

Marvin Knox said:
WESTMINSTER CONFESSION OF FAITH:
"Although, in relation to the foreknowledge and decree of God, the first Cause, all things come to pass immutably, and infallibly; yet, by the same providence, He orders them to fall out, according to the nature of second causes (the free choices of men in many cases), either necessarily, freely, or contingently"
"God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass; yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established."

That is what Calvinists teach.

Your saying that God's decrees can not include the choices men make out of their own wills is only your teaching and it is a straw man.

God no more has to overrule the will of men in order to predestine their choices than He has to overrule the laws of nature in order to bring to past an earthquake which He has predestined to take place in the Tribulation period.

He no more has to force what our choices are in order to bring to past what He has predestined that we do than He had to force the the choices of Pilot and Caiaphas in order to bring to past what He predestined to happen to Christ at Calvary.

This is why Calvinism is illogical.

Again, if God predetermines a man to do "x" then that man has no free will choice in the matter for all he can do is "x".

So where is man's free will in this when man did not decide for himself to even do "x" nor can this man decide not to do "x"?

Upvote 0

HighCherub

Jul 20, 2017
Richmond, VA
✟4,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mt 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!"

A verse that shows the free will of man where man chose against what Christ "would" but man "would not".

If these Jews were predestined by God to be saved, then why did they reject Christ?
If these Jews were predestined by God to be lost, then why was Jesus desire they be saved?

Obviously Calvinistic predestination does not fit the verse for the verse shows free will at work in those Jews denying what Christ desired of them.

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

This passage indicates that God is immutable and what you interpret from the passages you see isn't really man having free will.What is happening rather is man falling to the depraved agent of his will while nonetheless being moved by the sovereignty of God.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Force is not a straw man but exact depiction of what takes place in Calvinistic predestination.
Again, it is not logical on one had to say God predetermined all that happens but yet man is not forced to do what was predetermined for him. If man is not forced in this scenario, then what is he?

Again, if God predetermines a man to do "x" then that man has no free will choice in the matter for all he can do is "x".

So where is man's free will in this when man did not decide for himself to even do "x" nor can this man decide not to do "x"?
Man is regenerated with a new heart, then taught by the Holy Spirit, then they believe and are sealed for the day of redemption as a guarantee of their eternal inheritance.

This idea of forcing the old man is not correct, you must believe being born again is being forced?
Men will not come to Christ to be saved unless regenerated first.

Example, v38, unbelievers do NOT have the Father's word abiding in them, so then they do NOT believe in Christ, so then they do not come to Christ to receive life.
Again in 42-44, Christ says He knows they do not have the love of God IN them so they can not believe, because they will not seek for God without having that love of God in their heart. So they are just natural man, not spiritual men.

John 5
36 But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish—the very works that I do—bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me. 37 And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. 38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

41 “I do not receive honor from men. 42 But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you. 43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive. 44 How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God? 45 Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No - what the WCF laid out for you is an exact depiction of what takes place in Calvinistic predestination.
Again, it is not logical on one had to say God predetermined all that happens but yet man is not forced to do what was predetermined for him.
Calvinists all teach that predestination of choices does not equate to God authoring and assigning those choices. That is an equation which only non-Calvinist insist on.
If man is not forced in this scenario, then what is he?
He is a creature created in the image of God and able to make choices for which he is held responsible. But he is not God.
Reformed theology is the most logical systematic construct concerning such things that can be arrived at if all scriptures are considered in a systematic as they are presented to us.
You are the only one who says that. God says otherwise.

Man does decide what he will do. The scripture is clear that if one chooses x then A will happen and if he chooses y than B will happen.

The teaching of scripture is that whatever choices are made and whatever the corresponding consequence is - that is what God predestined to take place.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The true doctrine of God's spiritual gift of "free will" to Man and andels is supported by copious Scriptures. It God's Sovreignty allowing Mankind a non-puppet CHOICE...From Eden until now...before and after Salvation.

It is the right answer to the false doctrines of Calvinistic "pre-destination" and T.U.L.I.P. And the Bible trumps St. Auggie, "tradition", and "magisterium"...>>"Scriptura Suprema"

It is discussed ad nauseum:

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...the-all-everything-attributes-of-god.8011130/

The true doctrine of "FREE WILL"??: Biblical examples??

Gods Grace vs Free Will

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No - what the WCF laid out for you is an exact depiction of what takes place in Calvinistic predestination.

Calvinists all teach that predestination of choices does not equate to God authoring and assigning those choices. That is an equation which only non-Calvinist insist on.

He is a creature created in the image of God and able to make choices for which he is held responsible. But he is not God.

Reformed theology is the most logical systematic construct concerning such things that can be arrived at if all scriptures are considered in a systematic as they are presented to us.

You are the only one who says that. God says otherwise.

Man does decide what he will do. The scripture is clear that if one chooses x then A will happen and if he chooses y than B will happen.

The teaching of scripture is that whatever choices are made and whatever the corresponding consequence is - that is what God predestined to take place.

You post "Man does decide what he will do." This cannot be if God has already predetermined everything that happens. There is no logic in telling me one one had God has predetermined everything that happens but man decides what he will do for such is an illogical contradiction.

You post "The scripture is clear that if one chooses x then A will happen and if he chooses y than B will happen." If God has predetermined everything that happens then man is not choosing "x" for "x" was forced/predetermined upon man by a choice God made, not man. So it cannot be argued that man chooses "x" when God has already predetermined what man will do.

You posts "Calvinists all teach that predestination of choices does not equate to God authoring and assigning those choices. " You say earlier that God as predetermined all things that happen which implies that God DOES author and assign choices. Yet if God allows man to make choices, then God did NOT predetermine all things that happen. You cannot have it both ways.
Predestination of choices IS authoring choices and you try and tell me Reformed theology "is the most logical systematic construct concerning such things"?? If God predestined a man to choose "x" then God authored=caused=forced "x" upon the man for the man cannot choose anything other than what was predestined upon him by God. You cannot tell me God predestined a man to choose "x" but man can still choose "y" for this is either totally illogical or God is unable to enforce upon man what He has predestined for that man. UNBELIEVABLE.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Man is regenerated with a new heart, then taught by the Holy Spirit, then they believe and are sealed for the day of redemption as a guarantee of their eternal inheritance.

The bible does not teach this. Those in Acts 2 and Acts 7 were spiritually lost. The gospel was preached to both groups and they were able to understand what was preached to them without any "regeneration" first by the Holy Spirit. Such an idea cannot be found in either context.

It is the GROUP Christian that is sealed whom Paul is addressing. There is not a single example of any individual who was unconditionally sealed apart from the group. Therefore one must conditionally be in and faithfully remain in the group Christian if he desires to remain sealed. One can become unfaithful and fall from the group, yet the group remains sealed but not this individual apart from the group.

sdowney717 said:
This idea of forcing the old man is not correct, you must believe being born again is being forced?
Men will not come to Christ to be saved unless regenerated first.

Again, no such thing in the bible as Calvinistic 'regeneration' for there are examples in Acts 2 and 7 that show lost unsaved men hearing and understanding the gospel preached to them with some choosing to believe what they heard while other rejected it. Furthermore such an idea makes God culpable for the lost in that one cannot be saved unless God first "regenerates" him when the bible shows God has put the responsibility upon man by commanding man to believe and obey the gospel to be saved. Calvinism trues to take that responsibility in being saved off of man and put it upon God while man just sits passively by. All the commands in the bible God has

sdowney717 said:
Example, v38, unbelievers do NOT have the Father's word abiding in them, so then they do NOT believe in Christ, so then they do not come to Christ to receive life.
Again in 42-44, Christ says He knows they do not have the love of God IN them so they can not believe, because they will not seek for God without having that love of God in their heart. So they are just natural man, not spiritual men.

John 5
36 But I have a greater witness than John’s; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish—the very works that I do—bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me. 37 And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. 38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

41 “I do not receive honor from men. 42 But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you. 43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive. 44 How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God? 45 Do not think that I shall accuse you to the Father; there is one who accuses you—Moses, in whom you trust. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

The natural man and spiritual man Paul speaks about in 1 Cor 2 is showing the difference between those that were not inspired men (natural man) and those inspired bible writers that were spiritual men. Therefore the natural man is not an "unregenerated" person who is unable to understand the gospel. Again, all those in acts 2 and 7 were unsaved,lost but able to understand what was preached to them. The Calvinistic MIS-interpretation of the passage makes God culpable for those who are never able to access the things of God.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Predestination of choices IS authoring choices and you try and tell me Reformed theology "is the most logical systematic construct concerning such things"?? If God predestined a man to choose "x" then God authored=caused=forced "x" upon the man for the man cannot choose anything other than what was predestined upon him by God. You cannot tell me God predestined a man to choose "x" but man can still choose "y" for this is either totally illogical or God is unable to enforce upon man what He has predestined for that man. UNBELIEVABLE.
You are subtly inserting the words "predestined a man to choose" instead of the Reformed way of saying it - namely - "predestined that a man would choose". There is a world of difference.

Of course predestining a man "to" choose would seem to be equivalent to forcing a certain choice on the man.

But predestining that a man "will" choose is not forcing a certain choice on the man but merely decreeing that that man will make the choice he wishes to make and that that choice will be X rather than Y.

If God knew before the foundation of the world that a person would choose x in a certain set of circumstances then there is no chance at all that that is exactly what will happen - assuming that that certain set of circumstances existed at the time of choosing. That choice is predestined to happen.

If the man were to choose y, then God would have known beforehand that he would choose y and therefore y would be the predestined choice.

Since God is involved in any particular set of circumstances in innumerable ways and He has complete freedom to do as He wishes - and different circumstances would perhaps end in a different free choice by the man - God is the one who is said to have predestined the choice just as He did the circumstances which resulted in that choice.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. There is, in fact, no such thing as a vacuum. God is omnipresent.

We have freedom to act and choose only within the framework of having our being in God. That's just the way it is.

We are created in God's image. But we are not in fact God.

For man to have complete and utter freedom outside of what is predestined, it would be necessary for man to be God and he will never be God.

I know that you and others who argue against the sovereignty of God will likely take offense at me charging you with formulating your theology as if you had the God like attribute of aseity. But the truth is IMO that you almost have to believe in a completely different kind of God and a different kind of man than the scriptures portray for us to believe in the independence of our choices from what was predestined to happen in the mind of God before there was a creation at all.

Whether we are talking about Calvin himself or the WCF which is supposedly "Calvinistic" - they did not have the luxury of only considering certain scriptures and not considering others which were difficult for them.

It would take a long time to consider all of the scriptures which must be considered when formulating a good systematic theology of soteriology. I just can't take years with you concerning these doctrines the way that Calvin or the WCF formulators did.

I know you can understand these thing if you want to think them through. If you will not think them through and you continue to argue rather than ask others who have thought these things through what they believe and why - you can continue to attack straw men yourself and I will give up on you here.

If you are really seeking to understand why Reformed theologians believe and teach as they do - I will of course gladly continue.

P.S.
Note the brief post below which I addressed to Ron. Note what he said and what I said.

He, no doubt, meant to say that Calvinists deny what he stated concerning man being allowed to choose. But the Westminster Confession of Fait for instance teaches clearly exactly what the truth is and it is just as he himself believes and teaches.

It is exactly as I have always said. There is no conflict between the sovereign decrees of God and the (so called) free will of men.

But, like so many here, he simply will not properly present what Calvinists believe and teach and then argue against that. He insists on setting up straw men instead.

In addition, he won't address his comments to any individual by way of civil discussion. Instead he simply snipes away from the sidelines.

What he would likely say about what the WCF teaches is something like "that is illogical and it cannot be".

He is not willing to discuss the doctrine in a civil manor and learn why so many theologians believe that it isn't illogical in the least.

He wouldn't have be convinced of course. Neither do you.

But at least he would no longer be guilty of misrepresenting what Calvinists teach (and thus sinning against his brothers and sisters of the Calvinist persuasion).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The true doctrine of God's spiritual gift of "free will" to Man and andels is supported by copious Scriptures. It God's Sovreignty allowing Mankind a non-puppet CHOICE...From Eden until now...before and after Salvation.
Exactly so.

I'm happy to see that you agree with the Westminster Confession of Faith on this very important doctrine. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are subtly inserting the words "predestined a man to choose" instead of the Reformed way of saying it - namely - "predestined that a man would choose". There is a world of difference.

Of course predestining a man "to" choose would seem to be equivalent to forcing a certain choice on the man.

But predestining that a man "will" choose is not forcing a certain choice on the man but merely decreeing that that man will make the choice he wishes to make and that that choice will be X rather than Y.

If God knew before the foundation of the world that a person would choose x in a certain set of circumstances then there is no chance at all that that is exactly what will happen - assuming that that certain set of circumstances existed at the time of choosing. That choice is predestined to happen.

If the man were to choose y, then God would have known beforehand that he would choose y and therefore y would be the predestined choice.

Since God is involved in any particular set of circumstances in innumerable ways and He has complete freedom to do as He wishes - and different circumstances would perhaps end in a different free choice by the man - God is the one who is said to have predestined the choice just as He did the circumstances which resulted in that choice.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. There is, in fact, no such thing as a vacuum. God is omnipresent.

We have freedom to act and choose only within the framework of having our being in God. That's just the way it is.

We are created in God's image. But we are not in fact God.

For man to have complete and utter freedom outside of what is predestined, it would be necessary for man to be God and he will never be God.

I know that you and others who argue against the sovereignty of God will likely take offense at me charging you with formulating your theology as if you had the God like attribute of aseity. But the truth is IMO that you almost have to believe in a completely different kind of God and a different kind of man than the scriptures portray for us to believe in the independence of our choices from what was predestined to happen in the mind of God before there was a creation at all.

Whether we are talking about Calvin himself or the WCF which is supposedly "Calvinistic" - they did not have the luxury of only considering certain scriptures and not considering others which were difficult for them.

It would take a long time to consider all of the scriptures which must be considered when formulating a good systematic theology of soteriology. I just can't take years with you concerning these doctrines the way that Calvin or the WCF formulators did.

I know you can understand these thing if you want to think them through. If you will not think them through and you continue to argue rather than ask others who have thought these things through what they believe and why - you can continue to attack straw men yourself and I will give up on you here.

If you are really seeking to understand why Reformed theologians believe and teach as they do - I will of course gladly continue.

P.S.
Note the brief post below which I addressed to Ron. Note what he said and what I said.

He, no doubt, meant to say that Calvinists deny what he stated concerning man being allowed to choose. But the Westminster Confession of Fait for instance teaches clearly exactly what the truth is and it is just as he himself believes and teaches.

It is exactly as I have always said. There is no conflict between the sovereign decrees of God and the (so called) free will of men.

But, like so many here, he simply will not properly present what Calvinists believe and teach and then argue against that. He insists on setting up straw men instead.

In addition, he won't address his comments to any individual by way of civil discussion. Instead he simply snipes away from the sidelines.

What he would likely say about what the WCF teaches is something like "that is illogical and it cannot be".

He is not willing to discuss the doctrine in a civil manor and learn why so many theologians believe that it isn't illogical in the least.

He wouldn't have be convinced of course. Neither do you.

But at least he would no longer be guilty of misrepresenting what Calvinists teach (and thus sinning against his brothers and sisters of the Calvinist persuasion).

Calvinism Soteriology Topics
From the above Calvinist link it says (my emp) "Salvation is accomplished by the almighty power of the triune God. The Father chose a people, the Son died for them, the Holy Spirit makes Christ's death effective by bringing the elect to faith and repentance, thereby causing them to willingly obey the Gospel. The entire process (election, redemption, regeneration) is the work of God and is by grace alone. Thus God, not man, determines who will be the recipients of the gift of salvation."

Either a person does some thing of their own will or they are caused to do it with that person having no choice in the matter. A person is not willingly doing some thing if he was caused, made, forced to do it.

You post "If the man were to choose y, then God would have known beforehand that he would choose y and therefore y would be the predestined choice."

You wrongly assume foreknowledge demands predestination when it does not.

In Jonah 3, God thru Jonah told Nineveh Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown.

Jeremiah 18:8-10 tells us God's predetermined course of action in dealing with nations.

Jonah 3:8-9 Nineveh repented.

Jonah 3:10 "And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

A free will choice to repent changes a future event of being overthrown to one of being shown mercy. Nothing here was predetermined by God for God actually CHANGED His course of action in response to Nineveh repenting. To claim this was all predetermined makes God out to be illogical, contradictory within His own nature.

Nineveh therefore was not "caused to willingly obey" against their will by predestination for such is the illogic of Calvinism and not of God's nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
thereby causing them to willingly obey the Gospel. The entire process (election, redemption, regeneration) is the work of God and is by grace alone. Thus God, not man, determines who will be the recipients of the gift of salvation."
"Willingly obey". Exactly so.

You have been informed many times what the Calvinist position is on this.

The one who is willingly obeying the gospel is a new creature, one taught by the Holy Spirit of God, not the old man who, in and of himself, would not obey the gospel according to Romans.

You may disagree about the order of salvation and the literal interpretation of the Romans teaching about fallen man. But please don't misrepresent what Calvinists believe about them. That is a straw man of your own making. It proves nothing to kick him around.
Either a person does some thing of their own will or they are caused to do it with that person having no choice in the matter. A person is not willingly doing some thing if he was caused, made, forced to do it.
Everyone agrees that the decision to obey the gospel is done out of the will of men. To say that Calvinists teach something different is a misrepresentation to put it charitably.

Jesus Christ willingly obeyed His Father out of His own will. He obeyed because of His nature which gave Him the ability and willingness to listen to His Father and obey.

I rather like having the nature of the Son of man and I thank God for making me a new creation. I didn't much like the old one - cursed as he was.

If you insist on saying that God "caused" Him (and us) to obey - you are in good company and, if you want me to use that term I will. It is just as I have humored you by using the term "work" for the act of believing - even though it requires some nuance - which I have provided for you.

The Westminster Confession of Faith says the same thing. God is the "first cause" of all that happens. How could He be otherwise? But He works through "second causes" to bring to past what He has predestined to occur.

God was the first cause of Joseph being sold into slavery just as He was the first cause of Caiaphas' prophecy and the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. But He used the natural inclination of fallen men to bring to past what He intended to come to past.

These things aren't hard to understand unless you simply want to argue to be arguing.
.........Nineveh therefore was not "caused to willingly obey" against their will by predestination for such is the illogic of Calvinism and not of God's nature.
No one including Calvinists have said that anyone is caused to obey "against their will".

You insist on using the word "force". The WCF clearly excludes that kind of thinking from the formula. I won't even humor you by using the word "force" because it simply is not true and no Calvinist would use such a word.

No Calvinist would say that they were caused to obey "against their will". That's another of your straw men.

No Calvinist would say that the Ninevites did not have a will of their own and that they were not able to obey God at all. Calvinists only say that no natural man is willing and able in his own self to obey things related to the gospel. No one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

Calvinists agree with Romans that Nineveh did not in and of themselves seek and understand God's will without intervention by the Holy Spirit.

They certainly were "caused" to obey in the way the WCF lays out for us. But not in the way you lay out in your "straw man" argument against Calvinist's teachings.

God was the first cause of their decision and He worked through a second cause to bring them into a repentant state. That second cause was their own will - influenced no doubt by their own fear of judgment and perhaps by the inscrutable working of the Holy Spirit of God.

By the way - you have no idea if the Ninevites who repented were among the elect of God or not. They may well have been and perhaps we'll see them in Heaven. You have no idea what God was doing in them internally.

You and I have no idea if their obedience was credited to them as righteousness as was Abraham's faith.

Of course we, hopefully, agree that if they make it to Heaven it is ultimately because of the work of Christ at Calvary.

Regarding God saying something will happen when something else entirely happens - He laid that principle out clearly for us by teaching us that He knows all possibilities as clearly as He knows what will actually happen.

He does have foreknowledge and He does know what He has been predestined to happen.

God is omniscient. He did know what Nineveh would ultimately do and He was not wrong in what He knew about it.

It is clear that it was His way of emphatically stating what would happen if they did not repent. The very fact that He sent a prophet to warn them of their assured destruction proves that He was presenting them with an alternate destination.

Anyone would have to wrestle with how to look at the fact that He said one thing would happen and another thing happened.

That dilemma is not unique to Calvinists and both Calvinists and non-Calvinists explain it the same way.

You obviously believe that God's working through the will of others is the same as "forcing" them to do things they do not want to do. Calvinists disagree and say that it is not.

They use the examples of the will of Joseph's brothers, the prophecy of Caiaphas, the decision of Gog to come against Israel, the perfect obedience of the Son of Man, the choice of evil men to crucify Jesus and any number of other situations to illustrate that this is not so.

Men will be rightly judged for their evil. Men will be rightly judged for the obedience. That is true whether God predestined the attendant events in history to happen or not.

God has predestined everything which happens in His creation. He works through second causes to bring to past His decrees. The second causes (whether good or bad choices in this case) will be judged by God and God will be found righteous in His judgments when all is said and done. That will be true whether the events surrounding those choices turn out to be predestined to happen or not.

If you believe all of the Bible you must believe that.

If you chafe at the idea that you are not completely independent of God you are not alone. It is the story of the root of sin from the very beginning. You simply cannot and will not be completely independent of God. In Him you live and move and have your being as does all of creation.

All things were created by and for His Word and in His Word all things consist.

Reformed theologian have done their best to include everything the scriptures teach into a cohesive and systematic theology. For the most past they have done well IMO, even though I disagree with them in some places.

There is good reason why almost all good complete systematic theological works come down on more or less the Reformed side of things. The only way one can avoid doing so IMO is to appeal to emotion and human logic in their deliberations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God sovereignly decrees that your will should be free from His, even to the point of opposing His if we so desire. Otherwise sin would be impossible; Adam could not have disobeyed and no man could ever be called blameworthy. Did God want Adam to eat of the fruit when He told Adam not to eat of the fruit?

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"Willingly obey". Exactly so.

You have been informed many times what the Calvinist position is on this.

The one who is willingly obeying the gospel is a new creature, one taught by the Holy Spirit of God, not the old man who, in and of himself, would not obey the gospel according to Romans.

You may disagree about the order of salvation and the literal interpretation of the Romans teaching about fallen man. But please don't misrepresent what Calvinists believe about them. That is a straw man of your own making. It proves nothing to kick him around.

Everyone agrees that the decision to obey the gospel is done out of the will of men. To say that Calvinists teach something different is a misrepresentation to put it charitably.

Jesus Christ willingly obeyed His Father out of His own will. He obeyed because of His nature which gave Him the ability and willingness to listen to His Father and obey.

I rather like having the nature of the Son of man and I thank God for making me a new creation. I didn't much like the old one - cursed as he was.

If you insist on saying that God "caused" Him (and us) to obey - you are in good company and, if you want me to use that term I will. It is just as I have humored you by using the term "work" for the act of believing - even though it requires some nuance - which I have provided for you.

The Westminster Confession of Faith says the same thing. God is the "first cause" of all that happens. How could He be otherwise? But He works through "second causes" to bring to past what He has predestined to occur.

God was the first cause of Joseph being sold into slavery just as He was the first cause of Caiaphas' prophecy and the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. But He used the natural inclination of fallen men to bring to past what He intended to come to past.

These things aren't hard to understand unless you simply want to argue to be arguing.

No one including Calvinists have said that anyone is caused to obey "against their will".

You insist on using the word "force". The WCF clearly excludes that kind of thinking from the formula. I won't even humor you by using the word "force" because it simply is not true and no Calvinist would use such a word.

No Calvinist would say that they were caused to obey "against their will". That's another of your straw men.

No Calvinist would say that the Ninevites did not have a will of their own and that they were not able to obey God at all. Calvinists only say that no natural man is willing and able in his own self to obey things related to the gospel. No one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

Calvinists agree with Romans that Nineveh did not in and of themselves seek and understand God's will without intervention by the Holy Spirit.

They certainly were "caused" to obey in the way the WCF lays out for us. But not in the way you lay out in your "straw man" argument against Calvinist's teachings.

God was the first cause of their decision and He worked through a second cause to bring them into a repentant state. That second cause was their own will - influenced no doubt by their own fear of judgment and perhaps by the inscrutable working of the Holy Spirit of God.

By the way - you have no idea if the Ninevites who repented were among the elect of God or not. They may well have been and perhaps we'll see them in Heaven. You have no idea what God was doing in them internally.

You and I have no idea if their obedience was credited to them as righteousness as was Abraham's faith.

Of course we, hopefully, agree that if they make it to Heaven it is ultimately because of the work of Christ at Calvary.

Regarding God saying something will happen when something else entirely happens - He laid that principle out clearly for us by teaching us that He knows all possibilities as clearly as He knows what will actually happen.

He does have foreknowledge and He does know what He has been predestined to happen.

God is omniscient. He did know what Nineveh would ultimately do and He was not wrong in what He knew about it.

It is clear that it was His way of emphatically stating what would happen if they did not repent. The very fact that He sent a prophet to warn them of their assured destruction proves that He was presenting them with an alternate destination.

Anyone would have to wrestle with how to look at the fact that He said one thing would happen and another thing happened.

That dilemma is not unique to Calvinists and both Calvinists and non-Calvinists explain it the same way.

You obviously believe that God's working through the will of others is the same as "forcing" them to do things they do not want to do. Calvinists disagree and say that it is not.

They use the examples of the will of Joseph's brothers, the prophecy of Caiaphas, the decision of Gog to come against Israel, the perfect obedience of the Son of Man, the choice of evil men to crucify Jesus and any number of other situations to illustrate that this is not so.

Men will be rightly judged for their evil. Men will be rightly judged for the obedience. That is true whether God predestined the attendant events in history to happen or not.

God has predestined everything which happens in His creation. He works through second causes to bring to past His decrees. The second causes (whether good or bad choices in this case) will be judged by God and God will be found righteous in His judgments when all is said and done. That will be true whether the events surrounding those choices turn out to be predestined to happen or not.

If you believe all of the Bible you must believe that.

If you chafe at the idea that you are not completely independent of God you are not alone. It is the story of the root of sin from the very beginning. You simply cannot and will not be completely independent of God. In Him you live and move and have your being as does all of creation.

All things were created by and for His Word and in His Word all things consist.

Reformed theologian have done their best to include everything the scriptures teach into a cohesive and systematic theology. For the most past they have done well IMO, even though I disagree with them in some places.

There is good reason why almost all good complete systematic theological works come down on more or less the Reformed side of things. The only way one can avoid doing so IMO is to appeal to emotion and human logic in their deliberations.

Your accusations of straw man arguments against Calvinism is growing old. You have yet to point out one single so called straw man I have used against Calvinism. You problem rests on the fact Calvinism operates on unlogically, unbiblical principles and when it's flaw are shown you cannot simply yell "straw man".

It is not logical nor possible for God to predetermine all that happens yet at the same time claim man has free will choice in what happens. You have not yet to untangle this tangles ball of illogical mess. The illustration of Nineveh proves that God has NOT predetermined all things for if He did there would never be any need for God to "repent". God foreknew what Nineveh would do but foreknowledge does not necessitate predetermination. God did not predetermine Himself to say He will destroy Nineveh, then predetermine Nineveh to repent to only have God predetermine Himself to change the destruction he had already predetermined. Such a ball of illogical confusion is Calvinism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's simple. Sovereign means supreme ruler. It doesn't mean controls everything.
...and God is able to control what happens without having to predetermine all that happens which would make God culpable for all the evil that occurs.

God has foreknowledge and knows what choices men will make, thereby God can control what happens by using the free will choices men make and at the same time God is not culpable what man does as Calvinism makes God culpable.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Your accusations of straw man arguments against Calvinism is growing old. You have yet to point out one single so called straw man I have used against Calvinism.
Your oft repeated charge that Calvinists teach against the free will of men is a straw man. They do not do that as I have shown from the writings in their most respected confession of faith.
The illustration of Nineveh proves that God has NOT predetermined all things for if He did there would never be any need for God to "repent".
God predestined that Nineveh would repent and He predestined that He would "repent" as a result of their repenting.

God has made it clear that His decrees include interaction with His creation.
God foreknew what Nineveh would do but foreknowledge does not necessitate predetermination.
If what Nineveh did was instigated by God choosing beforehand certain things which He would do - in this case send the prophet to them - it does indeed necessitate predestination.
God did not predetermine Himself to say He will destroy Nineveh, then predetermine Nineveh to repent to only have God predetermine Himself to change the destruction he had already predetermined. Such a ball of illogical confusion is Calvinism.
It is only a ball of illogical confusion when put the way you put it.

God could very well predestine that He would threaten to destroy Nineveh, predestine that He would send them a prophet, predestine that they would repent leading to deliverance from what would surely have been destruction had they not repented.

One reason for His doing all that is to show us that He interacts with the choices we make and rewards or punishes us accordingly.

Another is to show that no one is beyond redemption and that we should proceed in evangelism as if those we are sent to may well be redeemed in the end because of our obedience to the great commission.

Christ was predestined before the foundation of the world to live a sinless life and make only good and sinless choices and yet those choices were actually made by the man Jesus and He was judged and rewarded based on the choices He made out of His own will.

Christ was predestined before the foundation of the world to be crucified and yet those who crucified Him made choices out of the own will and will be held responsible for the choices they made.

Assuming that you are what you claim to be (a child of God) - you were predestined before the foundation of the world to be conformed to the image of God's Son. That predestined conformation included your choice to believe on Him as your Savior.

I dare say that you would be the last to say that that choice to believe on Him was not your own choice. No one "forced" you do believe. (All Calvinists would agree with you on that and their most cherished confession says as much.)

Those examples alone make your objection that predestination negates free choices a non scriptural position.

No only that - but it is a non-Calvinist position. To claim otherwise is a straw man plain and simple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0