If Darwin created "Evolution" *again*, all he would do is change the name (to begin with)?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm entitled to put it where it belongs - in the garbage.
I have a feeling that garbage bag has a little more than just my speculations in it.

I have a feeling it contains a few of our basic doctrines in there as well.

Like Original Sin, Pretrib Rapture, and Eternal Security.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a feeling that garbage bag has a little more than just my speculations in it.

That second one might be in there, as I can't find any scriptural support for it. But I don't completely rule it out.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That second one might be in there, as I can't find any scriptural support for it. But I don't completely rule it out.
Zephaniah 1:15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Day of Wrath = the Tribulation Period

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And Paul calls evolution ...

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

And what he says about it ministering questions, rather than godly edifying is so true!

Seems like Timothy has a serious problem with large portions of the old scripture.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Zephaniah 1:15 That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Day of Wrath = the Tribulation Period

Instead of mixing together verses from the OT and NT, and having to use multiple definitions for the same term, why not just read what it says simply in Matthew?

Matthew 24:29-31 said:
Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Pretrib Rapture and Eternal Security are not basic Christian doctrines.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pretrib Rapture and Eternal Security are not basic Christian doctrines.
Yes, they are.

They aren't any of our six fundamentals of our faith, but they are basic doctrine.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they are.

They aren't any of our six fundamentals of our faith, but they are basic doctrine.
Traditional Christians generally--and I believe many Protestant groups as well--don't hold with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, they are.

My religious education wasn't *that* bad that I'd miss a bit of *basic doctrine*, but I don't recognize either of them as doctrine. (or even what "eternal security" even is. "rapture" is, I think some sort of Am. Prot. theology, but certainly not one I ever learned about before adulthood.)

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My religious education wasn't *that* bad that I'd miss a bit of *basic doctrine*, but I don't recognize either of them as doctrine. (or even what "eternal security" even is. "rapture" is, I think some sort of Am. Prot. theology, but certainly not one I ever learned about before adulthood.)

The belief that once someone is saved they are always saved.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The belief that once someone is saved they are always saved.

We'll that clearly wasn't taught in our church. (Or even something I'd even heard prior to adulthood. Back then people had the decency to keep their religions to themselves.)

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
True.

Darwin didn't "create" evolution.

According to Solomon, it is an invention, not a discovery.

Ecclesiastes 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.
I've corrected you on that assertion before. You really need to stop making these knowingly dishonest claims.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've corrected you on that assertion before. You really need to stop making these knowingly dishonest claims.
You mean this Thomas Wilson?

Thomas Wilson (1524–1581)

What's he have to do with the AV1611 King James Bible?

And I doubt he ever heard of Jacobean English.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You mean this Thomas Wilson?

Thomas Wilson (1524–1581)
Yep, that's the person.

What's he have to do with the AV1611 King James Bible?
Directly? Nothing, but then that has nothing to do with what we're talking about. The important part is that he used the word "invention" with the meaning common to that period - the meaning the translators of KJV would have used. Guess what? 500 years ago the word "invention" had a different meaning to the one we use today. I explained this already, as you well know. So your continued misuse of the word is deliberately dishonest.

And I doubt he ever heard of Jacobean English.
That's for sure as he died before James came to the throne. However, that's irrelevant. If you want to argue that the word "invention" had changed meaning during those 50 years then have at it. You seem to be very sure of yourself, so please educate us all.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Guess what?
Um ... the King James Bible is a Living Bible?

Hebrews 4:12a For the word of God is quick,

Meaning It goes with the flow?

• Haha
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Um ... the King James Bible is a Living Bible?

Hebrews 4:12a For the word of God is quick,

Meaning It goes with the flow?
Good example - did the word "quick" mean something different back then, or does it actually mean the bible is a fast runner?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Good example - did the word "quick" mean something different back then, or does it actually mean the bible is a fast runner?

Hmmmmm...

Let's see, what about the "quick and the dead"?

the quick and the dead | Common Errors in English Usage and More | Washington State University

It even has a KJV misunderstanding.

Would we then read that verselet as "The word of god is alive." Could be. Seems to make sense (within Christian theology at least).

Perhaps it would be a good idea to use a translation that post-dates the motor car.

Upvote 0