If a local law contradicts the Bible, what should we obey?

Does local laws have authority over the word of God?

• Yes. God established the authoirty. We must obey regardless of what scripture says.

• No. God commands are supreme.We are to obey local laws only if they dont contradict God.

• It depends.

• I don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The difference is that we believe that God's word tells us what is right and wrong and the Holy Spirit convicts us when we are wrong so that we will do the right thing. We don't arbitrarily decide what is right and wrong based on our subjective feeling. Otherwise, a psychopath would be right to murder innocent people because they don't think it is wrong to do so. You speak about local laws as if they were the highest authority. So let me walk you through this. There is no authority but which God has established. So tell me which has priority, local laws or county laws? County laws or state laws? State laws or federal laws? Federal laws or international laws? International laws or God who established all the authorities? BTW...have you looked at the poll results lately? Do the results tell you anything about your position?
My position comes from reading an unbiased source of scripture.
1 minute ago Post#80

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You say that like its a bad thing. Notice that people were not forced to worship God. Rather, because of their faithfulness, they were able to worship God freely without further persecution. Because of their faithfulness, everyone else were free to worship God without fear of persecution. I really think you have this all backwards.

True. But this is not how I would wish others to treat me if the rulers had a different religion, so for me, it's a fail. You can cut people into chunks in your ideal world. See how accommodating I am?

29 Therefore I decree that the people of any nation, or language, who say anything offensive against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego will be cut into pieces and their houses will be reduced to rubble. Daniel 6 BSB

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on how people define the word martyr. Is it always about religious beliefs and heresy or also a guy like MLK who ends up being murdered for what he did without expecting it?
It has both definitions. I'm not a fan of either kind of death.
I don't think anyone should be.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what does that mean if I disobey the laws of the local authority because I "think it is the right thing to do?" Lets say for example, I think it is right to disobey a law which commanded only the local ruler to be worshiped?

What is in your heart is how God will Judge you after your death.
That's all that matters. Not what others thought about you.

1 Thessalonians 2:4
But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To the contrary.

James 1:22-25 New King James Version (NKJV)
22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

I call on people to do what is right becasue God will judge their hearts.
What is the right thing to do, you are free to promote.
My point is, that it's not up to others to judge for me.
And scripture has recently shown me that local law is the priority
in a Christians life. At least Jesus thought so when He died claiming that
local authority was given to government by God above.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's not being honest!

the men who had falsely accused Daniel were brought and thrown into the den of lions—they and their children and wives. And before they had reached the bottom of the den, the lions overpowered them and crushed all their bones.

And what was the result God provided for that civil disobedience?

29 Therefore I decree that the people of any nation, or language, who say anything offensive against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego will be cut into pieces and their houses will be reduced to rubble.

Daniel was not falsely accused because he had broken the law. A better translation would be that he was maliciously accused because it was a plot to have him killed.

“Then these men came by agreement and found Daniel making petition and supplication before his God. Then they approached and spoke before the king about the king's injunction, "Did you not sign an injunction that any man who makes a petition to any god or man besides you, O king, for thirty days, is to be cast into the lions' den?" The king replied, "The statement is true, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which may not be revoked."”
‭‭DANIEL‬ ‭6:11-12‬ ‭NASB‬‬

“The king then gave orders, and they brought those men who had maliciously accused Daniel, and they cast them, their children and their wives into the lions' den; and they had not reached the bottom of the den before the lions overpowered them and crushed all their bones.”
‭‭DANIEL‬ ‭6:24‬ ‭NASB‬‬

It was Nebuchadnezzar who made that decree not God. The fact still remains that they broke the law of Nebuchadnezzar and obeyed God’s law and were delivered from harm. God protected them.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Daniel was not falsely accused because he had broken the law. A better translation would be that he was maliciously accused because it was a plot to have him killed.

“Then these men came by agreement and found Daniel making petition and supplication before his God. Then they approached and spoke before the king about the king's injunction, "Did you not sign an injunction that any man who makes a petition to any god or man besides you, O king, for thirty days, is to be cast into the lions' den?" The king replied, "The statement is true, according to the law of the Medes and Persians, which may not be revoked."”

“The king then gave orders, and they brought those men who had maliciously accused Daniel, and they cast them, their children and their wives into the lions' den; and they had not reached the bottom of the den before the lions overpowered them and crushed all their bones.”

It was Nebuchadnezzar who made that decree not God. The fact still remains that they broke the law of Nebuchadnezzar and obeyed God’s law and were delivered from harm. God protected them.
It was actually cyrus the great wo made the law. But the point is that Daniel was guilty of breaking the law. Cyrus grieved because Daniel was guilty and was now forced to execute a man he respected.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me know what conflicts you find. I'm happy to help explain.
What Does the Bible Say About Obeying Authority? - OpenBible.info
100 Bible Verses about Obeying Authority
When asked if a parent told their child to murder someone if would it be a sin if the child murdered because they were obeying their parents, you responded with "it depends on what the child thinks is the right thing to do." So if the child thought it right to disobey their parents, would the child be sinning if he or she disobeyed? Then apply this to whether or not it is appropriate to disobey local laws if I felt "it is the right thing to do." Do you not see how your entire argument falls apart?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is in your heart is how God will Judge you after your death.
That's all that matters. Not what others thought about you.

1 Thessalonians 2:4
But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.
So it is then okay to disobey local laws because we think it is okay? Not because God's word is superior to local laws?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I call on people to do what is right becasue God will judge their hearts.
What is the right thing to do, you are free to promote.
My point is, that it's not up to others to judge for me.
And scripture has recently shown me that local law is the priority
in a Christians life. At least Jesus thought so when He died claiming that
local authority was given to government by God above.
So you decide which commands to obey?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So it is then okay to disobey local laws because we think it is okay? Not because God's word is superior to local laws?

Jesus said local law has authority over Him.
Then died to prove the point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When asked if a parent told their child to murder someone if would it be a sin if the child murdered because they were obeying their parents, you responded with "it depends on what the child thinks is the right thing to do." So if the child thought it right to disobey their parents, would the child be sinning if he or she disobeyed? Then apply this to whether or not it is appropriate to disobey local laws if I felt "it is the right thing to do." Do you not see how your entire argument falls apart?

I didn't make any argument not direct from scripture.
As read in Post#80

Ecclesiastes 8:2-9
2 I say, “Keep the command of the king because of the oath before God. 3“Do not be in a hurry to leave him. Do not join in an evil matter, for he will do whatever he pleases.” 4 Since the word of the king is authoritative, who will say to him, “What are you doing?”
5 He who keeps a royal command experiences no trouble, for a wise heart knows the proper time and procedure. 6 For there is a proper time and procedure for every delight, though a man’s trouble is heavy upon him. 7 If no one knows what will happen, who can tell him when it will happen? 8 No man has authority to restrain the wind with the wind, or authority over the day of death; and there is no discharge in the time of war, and evil will not deliver those who practice it. 9 All this I have seen and applied my mind to every deed that has been done under the sun wherein a man has exercised authority over another man to his hurt.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But as a consequence of breaking the law, innocent women and children were thrown to the lions to be eaten. Death comes from disobeying the will of God.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever used a commentary?

It's actually funny that commentaries take the same unsupported stand. But people believe what they are told on one level over what is written.

But in real life, Christians follow the legal code over scripture, most every time.
Even if they claim they don't.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But as a consequence of breaking the law, innocent women and children were thrown to the lions to be eaten. Death comes from disobeying the will of God.
But look who didn't die. The one who was faithful to God. Can you find one other person who agrees with you? Find one commentary or another theologian. Is there any way you can demonstrate that your position is not merely one you came up with one your own? The position which specifically says that local laws takes priority over the word of God? That you must obey the local laws even if it means to disobey the word of God?

Upvote 0