KirkPsalm

Mar 28, 2016
Texas
✟26,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a myriad of instances where idolatry is mentioned in the Bible, both Old and New Testaments. Are we to believe that all there was to idolatry was that people were worshiping a block of wood or a golden calf. The writers of the Bible explain how much greater is God (YHWH) than the gods of other nations but I could say that about my donkey (if i had one).
As the nations were divided up after Babel were there not territories then, ruled by other divine beings? How am i supposed to believe that people just built something to worship without there being something to it other than just the material it was made from? Please note i do believe there are other divine being but none equal God. I read thru the Bible and almost always see things about divine beings and counseling with the LORD. Were there spirits that made themselves known to people who could reward and punish depending on the people's faithfulness to them? Why do i never hear this preached on???!!!
I would love to hear what you think and know.

• Useful
Reactions: AllDayFaith

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟677,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I imagine there must have been an expectation that a pagan god would come and indwell the object of worship or that the object would be at least spiritually charged by that god. Is it possible for a demon to indwell an object? I would think yes.

• Prayers
Reactions: AllDayFaith
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @KirkPsalm, there is but one God (who exists from and to everlasting as three Divine Persons).

There are fallen angels/demons, powerful, spiritual creatures (who, granted, may be what is behind some of the idolatrous musings of men), but as powerful as they may seem to us, "creatures" they are nevertheless (not lessor "gods").

--David

Isaiah 43
10 “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD,
“And My servant whom I have chosen,
So that you may know and believe Me
And understand that I am He.
Before Me there was no God formed,
And there will be none after Me.
11 “I, even I, am the LORD,
And there is no Savior besides Me."

Upvote 0

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Were there spirits that made themselves known to people who could reward and punish depending on the people's faithfulness to them?
These spirits you speak of are demons, and they mislead the people into thinking there are many gods. There is only one true God, the Holy Trinity. Yes when you practice sorcery you will be rewarded with nasty things. Then God will destroy all practicers of idolatry.

Revelation 21:8 "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars-they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please note i do believe there are other divine being but none equal God.
God has His holy angels who can go out to do missions for Him.

But my understanding is that God will not have one of His angels take authority over a people and its land without people knowing they are being ruled by God.

But Satan's evil ones might try to take and rule a certain region. And they might have the people make some sort of a statue or other material form and consider it their god, or their structure outward which is connected with an invisible being they are subject to. But that would be what a demonic being would have people doing.

And people tend to live in sin, so they will not be ruled by a truly divine being.

Upvote 0

KirkPsalm

Mar 28, 2016
Texas
✟26,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ps. 82:1 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
Ps. 82:6 I said, "you are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you; (7) nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince.

The Bible clearly says these are gods (i know they are not equal to God). What are these in the divine council referred to here? Is the LORD in council with demons?

Ref. 1 Kings 22:19 and on...who were these host of heaven on the LORD's left and right on one spirit offering to put a lying spirit of the prophets tongues ...were these demons? I don't think so. Angels.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ps. 82:1 God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: Ps. 82:6 I said, "you are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you; (7) nevertheless, like men you shall die, and fall like any prince.
Hello again KirkPsalm, there are certain things in the Bible that help us understand what God is saying. For instance, can a "god" die like a man :scratch: If not, then perhaps you do not have a proper understanding of who/what this poetic narrative account is actually referring to, that these "gods" may be nothing more than the great leaders of men who "seem" like "gods" to the people they rule (or men who act as God's representatives as they rule over His people, for instance).
The Bible clearly says these are gods (i know they are not equal to God). What are these in the divine council referred to here? Is the LORD in council with demons?
The Bible also clearly tells us, "There is no God" .. Psalms 14:1. Do you believe that that is what the Bible actually means there, that God doesn't exist?

That said, to arrive at a proper exegesis of the Scriptures we, generally speaking, do not use a poetic narrative portion of the Scriptures (like Psalms 82) to interpret a didactic teaching (in this case of God the Father) like we find in Isaiah 43:10 (the reverse is true however, the didactic normally interprets the poetic and/or narrative when necessary).

The Divine council refers first and foremost to the Godhead/Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit .. e.g. Genesis 1:26, 3:22, 11:7. We also see that it can involve the heavenly host in attendance as well, including Satan .. Job 1:6-22.
Ref. 1 Kings 22:19 and on...who were these host of heaven on the LORD's left and right on one spirit offering to put a lying spirit of the prophets tongues ...were these demons? I don't think so. Angels.
There are holy/elect/chosen angels .. Mark 8:38; 1 Timothy 5:21, and there are fallen angels (demons) .. Deuteronomy 32:17; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6, but angels they all are. Satan is the leader of the fallen angels.

There is one God. Everything else was created by God (the Son) .. e.g. John 1:1-3, 14; Colossians 1:16.

--David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a myriad of instances where idolatry is mentioned in the Bible, both Old and New Testaments. Are we to believe that all there was to idolatry was that people were worshiping a block of wood or a golden calf. The writers of the Bible explain how much greater is God (YHWH) than the gods of other nations but I could say that about my donkey (if i had one).
As the nations were divided up after Babel were there not territories then, ruled by other divine beings? How am i supposed to believe that people just built something to worship without there being something to it other than just the material it was made from? Please note i do believe there are other divine being but none equal God. I read thru the Bible and almost always see things about divine beings and counseling with the LORD. Were there spirits that made themselves known to people who could reward and punish depending on the people's faithfulness to them? Why do i never hear this preached on???!!!
I would love to hear what you think and know.

There are about 14 books that were removed from the Bible. Maybe what you are seeking might be in one of those books. So try to dig it out from there. By the way, the Book of Enoch says a lot about angels, fallen angels complete with their names, the abominations they have done and what they taught mankind which they shouldn't have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KirkPsalm

Mar 28, 2016
Texas
✟26,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello again KirkPsalm, there are certain things in the Bible that help us understand what God is saying. For instance, can a "god" die like a man :scratch: If not, then perhaps you do not have a proper understanding of who/what this poetic narrative account is actually referring to, that these "gods" may be nothing more than the great leaders of men who "seem" like "gods" to the people they rule (or men who act as God's representatives as they rule over His people, for instance).

The Bible also clearly tells us, "There is no God" .. Psalms 14:1. Do you believe that that is what the Bible actually means there, that God doesn't exist?

That said, to arrive at a proper exegesis of the Scriptures we, generally speaking, do not use a poetic narrative portion of the Scriptures (like Psalms 82) to interpret a didactic teaching (in this case of God the Father) like we find in Isaiah 43:10 (the reverse is true however, the didactic normally interprets the poetic and/or narrative when necessary).

The Divine council refers first and foremost to the Godhead/Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit .. e.g. Genesis 1:26, 3:22, 11:7. We also see that it can involve the heavenly host in attendance as well, including Satan .. Job 1:6-22.

There are holy/elect/chosen angels .. Mark 8:38; 1 Timothy 5:21, and there are fallen angels (demons) .. Deuteronomy 32:17; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6, but angels they all are. Satan is the leader of the fallen angels.

There is one God. Everything else was created by God (the Son) .. e.g. John 1:1-3, 14; Colossians 1:16.

--David
he Bible also clearly tells us, "There is no God" .. Psalms 14:1. Do you believe that that is what the Bible actually means there, that God doesn't exist?
I cannot see how you arrived at that, it say "The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God". So, no, i don't believe the Bible actually means there is no God because it's not even remotely close to what the Bible is saying in Ps. 14:1.
Psalm 82 does clearly and explicitly say that elohiym, this is plural and means gods, and the Bible says "and all of you are sons of the Most High". The "sons of God" or the sons of the Most High, are throughout the Bible are divine, whether evil or good but indeed divine. I don't understand why most consider these (in Psalm 83) men or rulers. How does believing these are not divine being clash with the truth?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...the Bible says "and all of you are sons of the Most High". The "sons of God" or the sons of the Most High, are throughout the Bible are divine, whether evil or good but indeed divine. I don't understand why most consider these (in Psalm 83) men or rulers. How does believing these are not divine being clash with the truth?
Hello again KirkPsalm, for clarity's sake (and before I comment further), when you say that, "the sons of God/sons of the Most High ... are "divine", what do you mean by that, exactly?

Thanks! I appreciate the help :)

--David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums