IDD will be reopened - the posts will be back - but with more moderators and rules

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟89,485.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ken said:
I am looking forward to the reopening, especially since any serious question posted in the GA section is immediately ridiculed by atheists, see, for instance,
http://www.christianforums.com/t86444
Was that question intended to be serious?

Michelle

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ken said:
I am looking forward to the reopening, especially since any serious question posted in the GA section is immediately ridiculed by atheists, see, for instance,
http://www.christianforums.com/t86444
I don't see why that would have gone into IDD anyways.

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it that people want to debate in IDD, but not in Formal Debates. I don't if I care about IDD anymore. Accept maybe for fellowship. It is like PRE in that it will be hetergenous. There are alot of debates in PRE too.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Since the shock of IDD's closure has subsided, it appears, at least to me, that the tension levels at CF have reduced significantly. Things are, at least from my perspective, peaceful in the Congregation Fora. Why we would want to re-open IDD, and potentially allow the tension to build once again is beyond me. Heavily moderated or not heavily moderated, the fact that tensions have subsided without the presence of IDD (and I'd be willing tobet the number of reports have decreased as well) is a good enough indicator that IDD simply isn't needed here at Christian Forums.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nyj said:
Since the shock of IDD's closure has subsided, it appears, at least to me, that the tension levels at CF have reduced significantly. Things are, at least from my perspective, peaceful in the Congregation Fora. Why we would want to re-open IDD, and potentially allow the tension to build once again is beyond me. Heavily moderated or not heavily moderated, the fact that tensions have subsided without the presence of IDD (and I'd be willing tobet the number of reports have decreased as well) is a good enough indicator that IDD simply isn't needed here at Christian Forums.

Well, I'm gonna have to think about this a bit, because I rarely disagree with you on these matters, but I'm just not quite convinced by that.

It seems clear to me that, if we banned discussion of religion entirely, we would see a LOT fewer heated debates; religion is an issue about which people feel strongly. That doesn't mean that the calmer tone and lack of reports would indicate a better environment for accomplishing CF's mission.

I think there is some good to be had from debate, and from learning about what other people believe. I think that some of the valuable functions of IDD are spilling over into other fora, and turning into fights there... I think it's clear that IDD as it was wasn't working for us, but I don't think that means there's no benefit to be had from something addressing those needs.

Upvote 0

MattMMMan17

Nov 10, 2003
Los Angeles
✟17,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm thinking. . .a lot more discussion has transpired in the true spirit of Christian fellowship now that IDD is gone. I first wanted it reopened to share, but now that the congregation forums have stopped being so heated, it's nice. I think we should leave it as is for a while, because it gives people more times to wander around the congregation forums asking questions and getting complete answers. This helps clear up untruths and misconceptions. Then, after a while, I think everyone will have enough knowledge to be able to carry Interdominational Dialogue in civilized manner.

Upvote 0

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
lambslove said:
I think that no matter what is done to moderate the IDD forum, there will always be fights because the theology and doctrine of the catholic-based denominations is so different from the non-catholic-based denoms that the two can NEVER be reconciled. It's like expecting people who only eat liver to sit down to a nice meal with vegans. The two cannot be reconciled, and as the vegans and the liver-eaters get hungrier and hungrier for something that nourishes either of them, they will fight, no matter what they have in common and no matter how committed they are to keeping the peace.

Likewise, IDD nourishes neither group, it only acts as a torture device to remind them both how hungry they are for the spiritual nourishment of a good discussion and fellowship with like-minded Believers, and no matter what there is in common between the two groups, since neither is being satisfied spiritually, the hunger and anger will flare up again and again.

As CF tries harder and harder to accomodate everyone, it nourishes no one, like a restaurant that tries to serve all eaters without offending any other groups sensibilities. You can't have a vegan/Atkins/South Beach/kosher/Chinese/low fat restaurant. CF is trying to have a Protestant/Catholic/Orthodox/pagan/seeker/atheist/non-demoninational/agnostic website, and THAT'S what is causing all the problems, not the posters. We're all just trying to be true to our faiths, which are mutally incompatible, like the vegan and the carnivore.
Maybe you should try to remember why we have Christian Forums :pray:

Then I'm sure you'd say the opposite... or something more along the lines of Miss Shelb's and Dawn Marie's thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Dawn Marie said:
I think you're wrong. It's nothing like that. At least, it shouldn't be...

We're not that different. You're making it sound like Catholics and Protestants have nothing in common - they do. Christianity.

If you can't handle talking to people who don't believe exactly as you do, then ...:scratch:
Dawn Marie,

It's more a case of being sick of being attacked for holding "salvation by faith" to be a truth, and not a heresy. No one has to believe exactly what I do, but Christians should at least be respectful of others, and that doesn't happen in IDD or a lot of the other forums. When I stopped posting in the forums where I got attacked, I realized the only ones left were the the non-religious threads.

And one would think from reading CF that catholics and non-catholics DON'T have anything in common. It was the fighting that drove me away, and really, I'm getting much more done in my ministries and in my REAL relationships since I left.

I only came back to post a prayer request about my dad dying, but I'm sure even that will somehow deteriorate into a fight...:sigh:

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
ej said:
Maybe you should try to remember why we have Christian Forums :pray:

Then I'm sure you'd say the opposite... or something more along the lines of Miss Shelb's and Dawn Marie's thoughts.
I think we have CF so Christians can talk to each other, not so they can emotionally rape each other. But that doesn't happen around here. That's why they had to close IDD, remember? And that happened long AFTER I stopped posting at CF, so don't blame me alone... The catholics would do as well to remember it as the non-catholics.

Upvote 0

ej

hopeless romantic
Apr 1, 2003
✟16,563.00
Faith
Catholic
lambslove said:
I think we have CF so Christians can talk to each other, not so they can emotionally rape each other. But that doesn't happen around here. That's why they had to close IDD, remember? And that happened long AFTER I stopped posting at CF, so don't blame me alone... The catholics would do as well to remember it as the non-catholics.

I totally agree, Lambslove :)
Christian Forums is a free, non-profit and non-denominational Christian forum community uniting all Christians as one body.
That's why I started posting here in the first place - it's a place where we remember what we have in common.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well, originally the two things we were working on were the rules...trying to make them stricter so as not to allow the types of debates that were going on in there before, but to still allow the freedom for some discussion between the different sides.

Another was getting the number of mods in there that we want. Erwin wanted at least 20 active moderators in there. While we might have the number of moderators on staff to accomplish that, not everyone would be interested in moderating there, and we might lose coverage in our other areas. You can only stretch a moderator out so far.

The most recent discussion we've been following is the request by some to leave IDD closed. (nyj started a thread on this in the Suggestions forum.)

I'm not sure what's going on in Erwin's mind about all this. I suspect in his "downtime" while he's away from the computer that he's praying about this as well.

I hope this answers your question (and anyone else's for that matter). :)

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
Then enemy is attacking us piece meal , and we respond in kind .... can no longer afford to do so .... " a house divided , cannot stand ".

When the media [ satan ] attacks Catholics , we all should respond [ part of the family , part of the church ....

knowing , that we ( methodist , baptist , wof , ag , episcopal , christian , lutheran ) are next ..... " we should hang together , or surely we will hang separately "

1 Corinthians 12 ... many parts , one body , same church , same head ( Jesus ) , same source ( God ) , same destination ( heaven ) , analagous ministries .... different priorities .

When one part is attacked , all suffer ;
When one part is afflicted , all are deminished ;
When one part is villified , all should react .....

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0

good4u

<font color="darkblue"><font size="3"><b><i><font
Apr 4, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟1,875.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As much as I enjoy a lively convo, MORE rules will KILL it instantly. Something to think about...please remember living in the Spirit vs. Legalism....it is difficult enough on this site.

Upvote 0