Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Saved, ... saved from what?

The Lords wrath! :preach:

The Christian god seems to be a fan of a stupid game me and some friends used to play when we were kids. While walking down a sidewalk you grab the person nearest the road and push them so that they are about to fall off/over, then you pull them back and shout "Saved you!".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Lords wrath! :preach:

The Christian god seems to be a fan of a stupid game me and some friends used to play when we were kids. While walking down a sidewalk you grab the person nearest the road and push them so that they are about to fall off/over, then you pull them back and shout "Saved you!".
You did that in wrath, did you?

If not, you might want to come up with a better analogy.

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

No, the analogy fits fine except according to the theology God sometimes lets people fall into traffic.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Right, he apparently did it because he loves us so much - which just makes such behaviour all the more unconscionable.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, the analogy fits fine except according to the theology God sometimes lets people fall into traffic.
More like they stand in the traffic and deny the existence of drivers.

But it's your analogy -- ;)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I see where the theory of Intelligent Design holds that certain features of the universe and living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, and are not the result of an undirected, chance-based process such as Darwinian evolution.

Why do you continue to post this falsehood over and over after you have been corrected on it? One more time: Evolution is not "chance -based." Read up on Natural Selection!

Here is a pretty good definition from Biology Online:
Natural selection
Definition

noun

A process in nature in which organisms possessing certain genotypic characteristics that make them better adjusted to an environment tend to survive, reproduce, increase in number or frequency, and therefore, are able to transmit and perpetuate their essential genotypic qualities to succeeding generations.

Supplement

It is the process by which heritable traits that increase an organism’s chances of survival and reproduction are favoured than less beneficial traits. Originally proposed by Charles Darwin, natural selection is the process that results in the evolution of organism.
Natural selection - definition from Biology-Online.org

Here is one based on Darwin's original book, which breaks it down a bit better:

Darwin's theory of evolution is based on key facts and the inferences drawn from them, which biologist Ernst Mayr summarised as follows:[3]

Every species is fertile enough that if all offspring survived to reproduce the population would grow (fact).
Despite periodic fluctuations, populations remain roughly the same size (fact).
Resources such as food are limited and are relatively stable over time (fact).
A struggle for survival ensues (inference).
Individuals in a population vary significantly from one another (fact).
Much of this variation is inheritable (fact).
Individuals less suited to the environment are less likely to survive and less likely to reproduce; individuals more suited to the environment are more likely to survive and more likely to reproduce and leave their inheritable traits to future generations, which produces the process of natural selection (inference).
This slowly effected process results in populations changing to adapt to their environments, and ultimately, these variations accumulate over time to form new species (inference).
On the Origin of Species - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Why do you continue to post this falsehood over and over after you have been corrected on it? One more time: Evolution is not "chance -based." Read up on Natural Selection!
a

I think i asked him elsewhere why he does not learn from his mistakes.

It would be ever-so-refreshing to find a creationist who would do that.

id think a Christian would be very concerned about avoiding falsehoods.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
id think a Christian would be very concerned about avoiding falsehoods.

You should know better by now. Some Christians are concerned only with promoting their religion and their god. Evidence, facts, and truth are the farthest things from their concerns, it seems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
You should know better by now. Some Christians are concerned only with promoting their religion and their god. Evidence, facts, and truth are the farthest things from their concerns, it seems.

i am very puzzled by this behaviour and I wonder if they realize they are doing it, and if they would change it if they did.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
i am very puzzled by this behaviour and I wonder if they realize they are doing it, and if they would change it if they did.

Too often creationists here latch onto a false paradigm and then they are very reluctant to let go of it.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Too often creationists here latch onto a false paradigm and then they are very reluctant to let go of it.

Those are tough maybe for any of us to change.

i think just plain attitude is more it than a 'paradigm" which I find to be an annoyingly hard word to define, sort of like 'funky'.

Anyhow, you know, you will get people with something like the "Paluxy man tracks' that they think are evidence of dino /people coexistence.

Now, if they were real, then that would be sensational in the extreme!

If they are fake, then, its just that one thing thats fake it in no way disproves creationism that they are fake tracks.

What i find interesting is that the "PMT" (paluxy man tracks) fan will jsut not accept it that they are, or even could be fake, and will go off talking how scientists refuse to excavate in that area for fear they will find more, etc etc.

Worse, they will have some fallacy like that ToE is about abiogenisis, or that a theory needs to be proven and wont even give those up.

i find that mentality very hard to understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
At the same time evolutionists always want to argue that evolution is not about the “origins” of life. I wonder what the Evolutionists starting point is.

Life. That's the starting point, i.e. after life had originated. It's the same way that the theory of gravity has the starting point of matter. It doesn't explain how matter first originated, it simply explains how matter behaves when it exists.

All scientific theories have specific limits, and it's absurd to ask them to explain phenonema outside of their scope.

That said, many evolutionists think that the separate study of abiogenesis holds some promise.

What are your thoughts on ID or ToE?

ID is like saying "God did it" and it primarily uses God-of-the-gaps reasoning to justify itself. It is itself untestable, so it can survive only as a parasite on real scientific and testable theories, primarily the ToE, using designer-of-the-gaps wherever knowledge is currently found lacking. Keep in mind that scientific theories doesn't make us omniscient, and all theories consequently have gaps.

ID is also a piece of propaganda invented to get religion into science class, applying less obviously religious terms to the same old tired creationist arguments to make them appear scientific to the layman.

Peter :)

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Life. That's the starting point, i.e. after life had originated. It's the same way that the theory of gravity has the starting point of matter. It doesn't explain how matter first originated, it simply explains how matter behaves when it exists.

All scientific theories have specific limits, and it's absurd to ask them to explain phenonema outside of their scope.

That said, many evolutionists think that the separate study of abiogenesis holds some promise.

ID is like saying "God did it" and it primarily uses God-of-the-gaps reasoning to justify itself. It is itself untestable, so it can survive only as a parasite on real scientific and testable theories, primarily the ToE, using designer-of-the-gaps wherever knowledge is currently found lacking. Keep in mind that scientific theories doesn't make us omniscient, and all theories consequently have gaps.

ID is also a piece of propaganda invented to get religion into science class, applying less obviously religious terms to the same old tired creationist arguments to make them appear scientific to the layman.

alchemy.gif

Reactions: plindboe
Upvote 0

Greg1234

In the beginning was El
May 14, 2010
✟11,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ID is like saying "God did it" and it primarily uses God-of-the-gaps reasoning to justify itself.
Unfortunately, molecular biology, is a "gap" in astronomy. The very core tenets of Darwinism have even refuted.
It is itself untestable,
Except when "it has been falsified."

so it can survive only as a parasite on real scientific and testable theories, primarily the ToE, using designer-of-the-gaps wherever knowledge is currently found lacking.

Keep in mind that scientific theories doesn't make us omniscient, and all theories consequently have gaps.

The very "scientific knowledge" upon which Darwinism is based has been refuted.

ID is also a piece of propaganda invented to get religion into science class,
Nope, just Science.

applying less obviously religious terms to the same old tired creationist arguments to make them appear scientific to the layman.

Actually, ID does not recognize the designer (in secret).

Upvote 0

Psudopod

Godspeed, Spacebat
Apr 11, 2006
Bath
✟11,638.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unfortunately, molecular biology, is a "gap" in astronomy.

Whut?

The very core tenets of Darwinism have even refuted.

Go on, what are the core tenents of Darwinish and how has each one been refuted?

It is itself untestable,
Except when "it has been falsified."

Those aspects of creationism that can be falsified have been - young earth, global flood, irreducable complexity etc.

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

Toss in my two cents...

Its fine by me if someone wants to say god started life, no evidence one way or the other. I dont happen to think that is true but who is to say.

That evolution happened after life started tho is true beyond any reasonable argument. leaving unreasonable ones.

as for this that i said earlier...

Worse, they will have some fallacy like that ToE is about abiogenisis, or that a theory needs to be proven and wont even give those up.

So Deaver, can we have a concession from you that abio is not in any way about or part of the ToE, and is in no way an argument against it?

Upvote 0