Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a very introverted person joined the Church, would they be looked down on if they didn't want to 'serve' in any capacity. Suppose they attend the Liturgy regularly and are faithful with receiving the sacraments (confession, eucharist, etc) but when it came to being a reader or something they just did not want to do it. Would there be any recourse for that or admonishment?

It seems like sometimes people get hustled into it and it becomes more of a burden and a distraction than joyful service.

Just a question, I don't mean to antagonize. :)

AKBlessings

Mar 5, 2015
Alaska
✟21,720.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it really depends on the parish. I have been in some where it is assumed that everyone truly wants to help with everything, some where it is expected that you should be doing XYZ, and resent you not doing it, and some where no one asks people to do anything they are not volunteering for.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not in our parish. There are a number of people who come very faithfully and don't serve in any capacity like that. Now, when it comes to the festival, most of them do SOMEthing, but still, not all do. And I have never heard anyone say anything bad or point anyone out.

We have a few who speak only Russian, etc. They may smile and nod, but they never talk to anyone, never come to coffee hour, and never serve. We are fine with that, and love them.

Father does say once or twice a year that we all ought to look at what we COULD be doing, and do it. But it's a brief mention, and no one is given a hard time at all.

Upvote 0

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People know that not everyone is called to participate in the same way. For an introverted person, this might mean being the one who privately prays for their fellow humans and the whole world. They may be the one who comes in quietly and cleans the altar/church alone during the week. They may not be called to do anything other than to serve as a good example of how to come and worship regularly. The Church is not a place to compete to see who is the "best" Christian. It is a place of healing and conciliation of our relationship with God. No scorecard is kept and no roster of who is doing what is being kept. I would encourage you to "come and see"! Take it slowly and don't feel pressured or rushed to do anything. Just take everything in. My time from my first visit at an EO church to my baptism/chrismation was about five years, and spanned at least four different parishes due to my having to move for work. At no time was I told I was in any way deficient or not keeping up with any schedule or program.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nope, you do what you feel called to do. if you feel called to pray and be still during the services, then that is your calling. the Church uses folks like that as well. I am sure most of us know faithful members of the Church whose ministry is prayer during the services.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My parish is odd. Some people come and just participate and never do a dang thing, others are expected to do something. I didn't go to a few events, never go to "Serb Fest" and VBS (driving our kids 50 miles a day for five days is a touch tiring on a summer vacation!), and initially when asked I balked at being a Reader. I became 'branded' so to speak for a while. But our deacon is STILL GONE and thankfully the climate is changing....

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It all depends upon one's abilities and the needs of the parish. If you show up for a service and the only ones there are the priest and yourself, you will probably be asked to try doing some things. This is usually not the case, so you can hopefully simply pray.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't serve in any capacity. I just like to pray and leave. I generally don't even do social hour after. I have no idea if people look down on me or not.

Probably they do not look down on you at all. As long as you're not one of the ones that shows up 5 minutes before communion and leaves before the prayers of thanks after. We shouldn't look down on those people either if we don't know their circumstances ... but that's definitely bad form.

(And no, I don't think you are one of those - otherwise I wouldn't have said it so bluntly - it's meant as a general commentary, not a personal comment.) :)

Half of our parish - perhaps - often don't go to coffee hour. Or they may from time to time. But nobody seems to think badly of anyone for just attending liturgy and then leaving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums