Indianapolis
✟12,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I want to hear from Christians what some of the important things to know about God are, Just explain to me the properties and some stuff about God, because I am Interested I have a view of God that maybe different from others but I want to hear you talk about God and What you think is important stuff to know about your deity.

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Core of Christianity 1.jpg

Core of Christianity 2.jpg

Core of Christianity 3.jpg

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟129,265.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He has a thing against bricks. God thinks of people like stones, everybody unequal. Man thinks of people like bricks, everybody equal.

Exodus 20:25 And if you make Me an altar of stone, you shall not build it of hewn stone [brick]; for if you use your tool on it, you have profaned it.

God was forced to step in at the Tower of Babel because of the bricks. This is about the transformation of stones (everybody unequal) into bricks (everybody equal.) The path at the time would have wiped out everybody in war.

Transforming stones into bricks: The Tower of Babel:
Bricks or Stones? - YouTube

Today we are back at the Tower of Babel.

• Useful
Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟176,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to hear from Christians what some of the important things to know about God are, Just explain to me the properties and some stuff about God, because I am Interested I have a view of God that maybe different from others but I want to hear you talk about God and What you think is important stuff to know about your deity.
Great question!

I'd boil it down to three things

There is one God who created everything.

This God sent Jesus to Earth, or came to Earth as Jesus.

This God really wants us to love other people.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟40,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God is the creator of all things. That is the most important thing that a scientist needs to know.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,186,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Here is my statement of faith involving God and His Word if you are interested:

My Statement of Faith

Anyways, the best way to know about GOD is to experience a personal relationship with Him by accepting Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. If your not sure how to do that, check out this mini comic tract here:

full

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

• Informative
Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟745,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Here is a list of things I think everyone needs to know about God.

1) God is sovereign.

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together (Colossians 1:16-17)

2) God is omnipotent.

Ah, Lord God! It is you who have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you (Jeremiah 32:17)

3) God is omnipresent.

Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. (Psalms 139:7-10)

4) God is omniscient.

He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure (Psalms 147:4-5).

5) God is holy

“I am the high and holy God, who lives forever. I live in a high and holy place, but I also live with people who are humble and repentant, so that I can restore their confidence and hope. (Isaiah 57:15).

6) God is just.

Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord. (Jeremiah 9:23-24)

7) God is love.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

8) God is merciful

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-23).

9) God is our Father

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. (Luke 15:20).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟889,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God revealed Himself to the Jews.
Jesus Christ of Nazareth is God in the flesh.
God walked among us, Jesus Christ of Nazareth and revealed His Kingdom.
God wishes that all will be saved from the second death.
God wishes a relationship with us through His Holy Spirit.
Anyone can know Him if they belive and love Him.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟742,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In many churches, God is understood as confessed to in the Nicene Creed:

The Nicene Creed - Personal and Devotional Prayers - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

In the Old Testament, before Christ, God gave commandments to Moses. Primary areas these are found in Deuteronomy 5, Deuteronomy 6, Leviticus 19. Even to those who did not specifically know God, commandments of right & wrong were given to man’s conscience ( see Genesis 9, Ezekiel 18:4-9, Psalms 15 etc.). Many detailed commandments were given specific to the Jews other than these ( for ex. Leviticus 16). While some people were doing human sacrifice, the Jews offered animals.

I think the book of Ecclesiastes ( Ecclesiastes 1 etc.) is a good bridge between the Testaments.

As others have said, the Gospel of John is the best to know Jesus Christ as the Son of God the Father & yet also God. ( John 1 etc.). The best Gospel chapters on the ministry of Jesus Christ are Matthew 5, Matthew 6, Matthew 7 ( sermon on the Mount). The commandments of Jesus are focused on in Matthew 22:36-40, Matthew 7:1-12 with focus on Matthew 7:12, Matthew 19:16-19, Mark 10:1-15 etc.

A good summation of Christianity is given in Colossians 1. One major way St. Paul shows us how to receive Jesus as our savior can be found in Romans 10:9-13.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,186,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Dear Victor:

I made a more personal reply to you based off my Statement of Faith.
The first two points (from My Statement of Faith) are the same, but the other points (I added below) are different or new.

1. God:

(a) God is Triune
(The Lord our God is one God who exists as three persons: The Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Ghost; This also known as the Trinity or the Godhead) (Note: You can check out my defense of the Trinity in this CF thread here.).
(b) God is spirit
(Meaning at the core of God's essence: God is a spirit being: God is transcendent and beyond the physical universe).
(c) God is Holy
(God is Holy and divine; This means He is perfect, pure, without spot, blameless, and sacred).
(d) God is Omni-Righteous (or God is Love).
(For God is always loving, Good, Morally upright always; Even in His anger He loves).
(e) God is Omniscient (All knowing).
(f) God is Omnipotent
(Sovereign and all powerful; Doctrine of Immanence is implied in this).
(g) God is Omni-Present
(Capable of Being Present in all locations).
(h) God is Self Sufficient
(Aseity; Eternally: God does not need anything or anyone to survive or to be happy or complete).
(i) God is Immutable
(Unchanging; God's Spirit in essence and being will never change, nor will His good character).
(j) God is Light
(God can put forth actual physical light from His being) (In addition, God is a beacon of Light in a moral sense, too; For there is none good but God. Meaning, we are to let Christ's light shine thru us, and not our own light).
(k). God is Infinite
(As in relation to essence of His divine being or Spirit: God is not subject to physical limitations (like man)). (For with God, nothing is impossible).​

2. Jesus Christ:

(a) Christ is God Almighty (Second person of the Godhead (the Living Word); To check out 160 reasons in Scripture on this point, see this post in the following CF thread here).
(b) Christ is Eternal and uncreated.
(d) Christ is Typified many times in the Old Testament.
(e) Christ makes many pre-incarnate appearances in the Old Testament.
(f) Christ entered the flesh of Adam by way of a virgin named Mary.
(g) Christ suppressed His Omniscience
(h) Christ relied on the Holy Spirit to teach him the Scriptures as a child.
(i) Christ did many miracles by the Father.
(j) Christ also had divine power of His own during His Earthly ministry.
(k) Christ is worshiped as God.
(l) Christ Jesus is the name above all names
(m) Christ still has his physical body now and forever (this body is sort of like a temple or shell).
(n) Christ had risen from the grave whereby we will one day rise from the dead like Him, too.
(o) After Jesus told Mary to touch him not, Christ had then shortly ascended to the Heavenly Temple so as to be our mediator between God the Father and man (i.e. for Jesus is our Heavenly high priest).
(p) Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life (Everything in our lives must be in done by him and through Him; For I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me).​

3. God's Plan of Salvation for Us:

Initial Salvation:
(God's Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ):
(The “Belief” Aspect of Faith):
(See: Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, Titus 3:5; Then see “Side Note” below):

(a) Believe the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).
This is believing that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, He was risen three days later on our behalf for salvation.
(b) Admit that you have sinned against God (Luke 18:9-14) (Romans 3:23).
(c) Repent: This means to call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 10:13) and seek forgiveness of your sins with Him (Luke 18:9-14). For whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ shall be saved.
(d) Invite Jesus Christ to come into your life and to save you. For John 1:12 says, “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:” Jeremiah said to God, “Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” (Jeremiah 17:14).​

Continued Salvation:
(Sanctification of the Spirit to Live a Holy Life):
(The “Work of Faith” Aspect of Faith):
(See: James 2:17, James 2:19, James 2:24, 1 Thessalonians 1:3, 2 Thessalonians 1:11):

(a) Continue to trust in the gospel (the good news). For 1 Corinthians 15:1 (NKJV) says, “Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand,”; However, this continued trust in the gospel of grace is not the kind that turns God's grace into a license for immorality (See: Jude 1:4) (Romans 6:1-2). For the gospel call (like a phone ringing) is... God has chosen us to salvation through “Sanctification of the Spirit” and a “belief of the truth.” (See: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14). For God's grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).
(b) “Sin not” (1 John 2:1), but if we do happen to stumble or fall into sin on rare occasion (without intending to sin), we repent or we go to our advocate Jesus Christ and confess our sins to Him in order to maintain forgiveness (1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:9). For if we live after the flesh, we will die (die spiritually), but if we put to death the misdeeds of the body (sin) by the Holy Spirit, we will live (live eternally) (Romans 8:13).
(c) Do good works (i.e. the work of faith): Meaning, bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Luke 3:9 says, “And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.” Jesus said: “And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30). The apostle Paul says that one of the marks of vain deceivers is that they can deny God by a lack of works (i.e. they are every good reprobate) (Titus 1:16) (cf. Titus 1:10).
(d) Live a holy life according to commands given to us by Jesus and His followers in the New Testament. Believers do not seek to be justified by the Old Law given to Israel (i.e. the 613 Laws of Moses) as a whole or package deal. So Christians today do not have to keep the ceremonial Old Testament Laws like the Saturday Sabbath, the Passover, circumcision, and dietary laws, etc. (See: Colossians 2:14-17); Christians keep the Moral Law (laws that man knows to do good without having the Law - Romans 2:14). These are laws like: Do not murder, do not covet, do not steal, do not commit adultery, etc.; Christians cannot have the mindset that they can justify sin with the thinking they will be saved. Note: However, we are living in the last days according to 2 Timothy 3:1-9 and many have a form of godliness and they deny the power thereof. They are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. Hebrews 12:14 says to follow after holiness without which no man shall see the Lord.​

By doing these things above in this life, you will have escaped the place of torments (hell), and escape the Lake of Fire (Which is the final punishment and destruction of the wicked). By being saved, you will have a relationship with God and know His love, joy, and peace that far surpasses anything that this sinful world can offer you. You will have the promise of being in His eternal kingdom where there is no more pain, suffering, death, or sorrow anymore.

However, Christianity at it's heart is about knowing God or the Lord Jesus Christ and the goodness He brings to our lives if we trust in His Word by faith.

Now, the way a person can truly have an assurance that they know the Lord is if they find they are keeping His commandments (1 John 2:3). For the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commandments, they are a liar, and the truth is not in them (1 John 2:4). What truth is not in them? Jesus. For Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). For 1 John 5:12 says he that has the Son has life and he that does not have the Son does not have life.

4. The Bible:

(a) We first receive our faith by hearing the words of the Holy Bible.
For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (i.e. the Bible) (Romans 10:17).
(b) The Bible is inspired by God, and it is essential to the Christian life for doctrine, and instruction in righteousness. For 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” It is useful to take note that the Bible (Scripture) is profitable so that the man of God may be perfect unto all good works. This means nothing else (like church traditions, or another holy book besides the Bible) is needed because Scripture is sufficient to accomplish the goal in our being throughly furnished unto all good works.
(c) The Holy Bible is backed up by tons of evidences showing that it is of divine origin. Check out my blogger article here to learn more.​

5. Love:

(a) God is love (1 John 4:8) (Note: This is not a lustful love like that of a woman, but it is the kind of love that one can feel emotional about involving good feelings that lead to happiness, joy, and peace; But most importantly, the love of God is always the kind of love that is followed by loving actions; For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
(b) The two greatest commandments of God is based on love.
The 1st commandment is:
(1) “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” (Mark 12:29-30) (Note: Christians can be inward or spiritual Israelites - See: Romans 2:29).
The 2nd command is:
(2) “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ (Mark 12:31).​
(c) Christians are given a new command by Jesus that is unique from the commands in the Old Testament. Christians are told by the Lord Jesus Christ: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-25).​

I hope this helps, and may GOD bless you.

Side Note:

In Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, and Titus 3:5, Paul referred to “Works ALONE Salvationism” (without God's grace); But this is not to be confused with the necessity of the “work of faith” that follows after being saved by God's grace.

Ephesians 2:8-9 is referring to Initial Salvation and or Foundational Salvation and it is not referring to the second work of God, or second phase in the salvation Process (Which is the Sanctification of the Spirit through a believer's life).

Ephesians 2:9 is referring to “Man Directed Works Alone Salvationism” without God's grace. For they are the kind of works that a man would boast in himself in doing.

Ephesians 2:10 mentions a completely different kind of work than the work in Ephesians 2:9. Ephesians 2:10 is referring to “God Directed Works Done Through the Believer.” It is the Work of God done through the believer AFTER they are saved by God's grace because these kind of works are the kind that a believer is created unto Christ Jesus to do and they are told that they should walk in them. There is no boasting in one's own work in this kind of work because it is the Work of God done through the believer. So all praise, glory, and thanks go unto the Lord for these kind of works done in a believer's life.

Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, and Titus 3:5, were written to combat the heresy of what I call, “Circumcision Salvationism.” This was the false belief that was going around during that time that said that you had to first be initially saved by being circumcised (Instead of being saved by faith in Jesus Christ and His grace). This heresy is described to us in detail at the Jerusalem council in Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24. Paul also attacked this heresy or false belief in Galatians 5:2. He also alluded to the problem of this belief in Galatians 2:3, Romans 3:1, and Romans 4:9-12, etc.; Unfortunately, most Christians do not appear to understand or accept this truth in Scripture, and they think that when Paul says that we are saved by God's grace through faith and not of works, they believe Paul is referring to all forms of works (even the works after one is saved by God's grace) when this is not the case. For Paul says that one of the marks of deceivers is that they can deny God by a lack of works (Titus 1:16). For to know God is eternal life (John 17:3).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The most important thing to know is: GOD IS LOVE

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟726,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The Christian answer to the question of God, "What is God like? How can I know God?" is Jesus Christ.

There is no way to "explain God", that is--what God is, or anything like that. The Divine Essence--what God is--is fundamentally unknowable and ineffable. And so the only thing we can say is that God is God. It's not an answer, it's an affirmation and confession of our own inability to adequately talk about God.

Our confession of faith in the Creeds is not our attempting to explain God, but affirming and confessing God.

Thus God can only be known by revelation; the encounter with God. And according to the Christian religion the encounter with God happens in the Incarnation, God become man, Jesus Christ.

This is why Jesus says that if we have seen Him we have seen the Father who sent Him; that if we know Him, we know the Father who sent Him.

To know Jesus is to know God. And, indeed, God cannot be truly known at all apart from Jesus, that is what it means when Jesus says, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one comes to the Father except by Me" He means that meeting God, encountering God, that happens in Him, through Him. He is the meeting place between God and man.

Therefore, to speak truthfully about God, is to speak of God present in the weakness, humility, and suffering of the cross.

The only-begotten Son of the Father has become human.

This is our God, revealed in the humble clothes of human weakness--as He truly is.

images

Thus, if one wants to know God, and to know about God; He is here giving Himself to you--to all--through Jesus. And that is why Christians gather together for worship, to where Christ is present in His Word and Sacraments.

Here is Christ our God, He who was born of Mary, suffered under Pilate, was crucified, dead, buried, rose from the dead, ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father.

Eucharist.jpg

And so we invite all, great and small, to in the words of Jesus Himself, "Come and see". That they might also gather at His Table.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Among the most important things to understand about God, in my view, is that He is not a mere human creation. The God revealed in Scripture is not just a reflection of the thinking and preferences of human beings but The Objective Reality, governing, and ordering, and sustaining all of the material and immaterial universe. Consequently, He regularly exceeds our ability to fully comprehend Him.

God has revealed Himself in Creation (natural theology), our conscience, and the special revelation of Scripture. No one, then, can say, "I never knew God existed!" All will give an account to Him one day of the manner of their living, being judged by Him and received into His kingdom, or forever cast out from it.

God is relational, desiring that we know Him and enjoy daily, intimate communion with Him. He has made this possible through the life, death and resurrection of Christ and our faith in him as Savior and Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟730,075.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The bible says "God is Love", not a sensual love, but a "brotherly love". A love that tells us to try to "treat others as we would have them treat us". The bible says:

Gal 5:13-14 Because you, brothers, were marked out to be free; only do not make use of your free condition to give the flesh its chance, but through love be servants one to another. For all the law is made complete in one word, even in this, Have love for your neighbour as for yourself.

God draws all people to this knowledge, but many people choose to ignore God's commands, to love one another, preferring hatred and sin.

This is where God makes a distinction, He saves those who will show goodness and kindness to one another (following obediently after His word), and He separates those who persistently and unrepentantly would rather take advantage of one another (disobeying His commands), and sends them to punishment in hell.

Those who follow righteousness, He shows the cross and its salvation. But those who follow after evil, He blinds to the truth, so they are not saved.

As a Christian, we must act in line with God's nature to be saved. Salvation comes to us in the form of the cross, the one who puts their faith in the death, and resurrection of Christ will be saved. Which was a sacrifice for sins, giving the Christain forgiveness. Not by their perfect obedience, but by His free gift, and our aligning our thinking to His.

Upvote 0