I thought we were in the best economy ever?

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
IMO, the best economy I ever witnessed was during the Reagan years up until the beginning of Obama's Presidency. And this includes a good economy during Clinton's 8 years.

Do you mean the last year of George Bush's presidency? I assume you know the stock market crashed in 2008, while Barack Obama was running for President.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
“Strangling the economy”...??

Wow. Perhaps you could show me a graph of ANY of the major economic indicators and show me the point where that ‘strangulation’ was eased...?
Below are a list of a few of the many regulations Trump cut; most of which were put in place by Obama that Trump claimed was strangling the economy.
*Trans-Pacific partnership
*Environmental regulations( like Clean power plan, Coal plan emission standards)
*Paris Climate accord
*Auto Emission standards as well as fuel efficiently standards requiring cars to get 54mpg by 2025
*North American free trade agreement; although he pretty much renegotiated it in a way he said is better for the US

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am still waiting for conservatives to prove all Americans with full-time jobs earn a living wage. Until that happens, the economy does not deserve to be called "the best ever."
In the history of this country, when have all Americans with a full-time job earned a living wage according to your standards?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Workers don't agree to low salaries because they want that little money. They want to be paid more but a living wage job does not exist. That is never the worker's fault. Workers can't bargain hourly pay. They're only able to accept what is given to them. .
No, lots of workers negotiate their pay upon hire.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In the history of this country, when have all Americans with a full-time job earned a living wage according to your standards?

I did not say that ever happened before. My point was calling it the "best economy ever" makes no sense if millions of American workers are still living from paycheck to paycheck because the minimum wage has not caught up with inflation.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
True of course there are a lot of government jobs, and jobs tied to the government via contract. I was talking about private sector jobs, not tied to the government, and I think that is what trump was talking about when he boasts of jobs created.

But you're still wrong. The government can and does help create private sector jobs all the time. The aerospace, computer, and interstate shipping industries exist in large part because of the federal government.

Was never ratified. Exiting it maintained the status quo, i.e. there could have been no visible impact from it on the economy.

*Environmental regulations( like Clean power plan, Coal plan emission standards)

Clean Power Plan was only unveiled in 2015 and never went into effect:
Clean Power Plan - Wikipedia

*Paris Climate accord

The US signed the accord in April 2016; it took effect in November 2016; and we withdrew in November 2019. You failed to demonstrate how, in 2.5 years, it was in effect long enough to "strangle the economy" and for Trump's reversal to have corrected that.

*Auto Emission standards as well as fuel efficiently standards requiring cars to get 54mpg by 2025

Trump hasn't even issued that rule yet.

*North American free trade agreement; although he pretty much renegotiated it in a way he said is better for the US

NAFTA wasn't Obama, obviously, and it hasn't been ratified yet, so it can't have unstrangled the economy. And most analysts predict it's going to make a modest improvement at best.

So, basically, you went 0-for-5, which, if it makes you feel any better, is about as good as most TrumpFans do when I ask this question. Your answers are nothing but lies fed to you by the propagandists for whom you unwittingly act as a mouthpiece. If you and your like-minded compadres did just a bit of homework for yourselves, you'd know that. Seriously, this stuff isn't hard. The information is all out there. All you guys have to do is look for it.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No, lots of workers negotiate their pay upon hire.

This is the kind of comment that screams ignorance and proves some conservatives never had entry level jobs.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are you thinking about Mississippi? Ugh, that state has terrible infrastructure, at least where my sister is, and no recycling. There is not much to do outside the very few relatively big cities. It is one thing to have a cheap house and low cost of living, but that does not help much if the state has a lot of problems and it is not solving them.
So YOU don't like Mississippi. What's your point?

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Below are a list of a few of the many regulations Trump cut; most of which were put in place by Obama that Trump claimed was strangling the economy.
*Paris Climate accord

“Claimed” and ‘the evidence of a graph’ are entirely different things. I repeat, please show me the graph of any major economic indicator and point out where the ‘strangulation’ of the economy ceased. This forum isn’t a Trump rally, wherein baseless claims are lapped up by the ignorant.

HINT: you won’t be able to find one. Your best case scenario will be to observe a continuation of a trend established during the Obama years. Your worst case is that several of those trends have deteriorated under Trump, as in the case of job creation, for example...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is the kind of comment that screams ignorance and proves some conservatives never had entry level jobs.
Like it or not, there are a lot of people who do negotiate their wages. For you to claim it doesn't happen shows ignorance on your part.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So YOU don't like Mississippi. What's your point?

My point is you can't base your residency choice on cost of living alone. If you want a good place to live it must be where the cost of living is higher. And I am far from the only one who has complaints about MS - it actually is rated the worst state in a variety of categories.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I did not say that ever happened before. My point was calling it the "best economy ever" makes no sense if millions of American workers are still living from paycheck to paycheck because the minimum wage has not caught up with inflation.
I disagree! "best economy ever" only means it has never been this good. That's it!

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Like it or not, there are a lot of people who do negotiate their wages. For you to claim it doesn't happen shows ignorance on your part.

It should be crystal clear I only talk about hourly pay entry level jobs here, not union and contract jobs. I complain about people being unable to take jobs that offer living wage salaries for a variety of reasons - no money for college, where they live, and more. Those people can't negotiate their salaries. You are making it seem like anyone can negotiate his/her salary and most people can get union jobs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
“Claimed” and ‘the evidence of a graph’ are entirely different things. I repeat, please show me the graph of any major economic indicator and point out where the ‘strangulation’ of the economy ceased. This forum isn’t a Trump rally, wherein baseless claims are lapped up by the ignorant.

HINT: you won’t be able to find one. Your best case scenario will be to observe a continuation of a trend established during the Obama years. Your worst case is that several of those trends have deteriorated under Trump, as in the case of job creation, for example...

When Obama got into office unemployment was around 5% when he left in 2016 it was 4.7%.
Since Trump got into office, it’s now down to 3.5%.
Compare Today's Unemployment with the Past

According to “factcheck.org” wages adjusted for inflation are the highest in nearly half a century.
Are Wages Rising or Flat?

So we have more jobs than we've had in a long time, with higher wages than we've had in a long time and the only thing Trump did to accomplish this was cut regulations and lower taxes.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,459.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
When Obama got into office unemployment was around 5% when he left in 2016 it was 4.7%.
Since Trump got into office, it’s now down to 3.5%.
Compare Today's Unemployment with the Past

According to “factcheck.org” wages adjusted for inflation are the highest in nearly half a century.
Are Wages Rising or Flat?

So we have more jobs than we've had in a long time, with higher wages than we've had in a long time and the only thing Trump did to accomplish this was cut regulations and lower taxes.
Unemployment was over 7% when Obama took office and spiked to 10$ by the end of his first year, which was the previous budget year. By the time he left it it was 4.7%. He cut it in half.

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It should be crystal clear I only talk about hourly pay entry level jobs here,
You did not make that clear.
I complain about people being unable to take jobs that offer living wage salaries for a variety of reasons - no money for college, where they live, and more. Those people can't negotiate their salaries. You are making it seem like anyone can negotiate his/her salary and most people can get union jobs.
The way I see it, if you have skills and are valuable to the employer, you will often be able to negotiate a wage, If you have no skills, nothing to offer to the employer except a desire to work, need training to do the job, you have to take what they offer you. Anybody who has a problem with that? My suggestion is; YOU hire them! If you aren't in a position to give anybody a job, then quit hating on those who are at least giving them something! Something is better than nothing.

Upvote 0