• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

I thought we were in the best economy ever?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by RocksInMyHead, Feb 12, 2020.

1. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+1,978
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+7,757
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Can’t seem to find a link that supports the slate article.

3. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+7,757
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh look! Here is the other side of the story

President Donald Trump has recommended a 1% federal pay raise for civilian employees in 2021, according to his proposed budget request.

The White House on Monday released the president’s 2021 budget request to the public.

Trump’s proposed federal pay raise is well below the 3.1% increase employees earned this year for 2020 — and falls short of the 3.5% raise members proposed last month with newly reintroduced

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+8,787
    United States
    Married
    Perhaps if the Democrats would stop doing coups and trying to overturn the 2016 election the things would be better. God Bless President Trump for keeping the best interests of loyal Americans in his sights and defending the Constitution from these unwarranted and false attacks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+1,978
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What's the other side here?

Edit: Here's the official White House statement - it was linked in the Slate piece.
    Message to the Congress on the 2021 Alternative Plan for Pay Adjustments | The White House

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+27,742
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
  7. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+7,155
    Agnostic
    Married
    So Trump is not citing a national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare as a reason to reduce the pay raise to 1%?

8. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,745
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
  9. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats Saved by Christ

+536
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Anyone who thinks we have the best economy ever needs to learn what that really means. It requires the entire middle class population to earn a living wage and not having any trade deals that cause job losses. Until we get to that point, there will always be problems with the economy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Euodius

Euodius Are you kitten me right meow? Supporter

+262
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    With the way American economics is we could have both simultaneously. Both are relative statements - there's no double bind.

11. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+1,853
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you.. I believe we are in the best one.. .. I guess its who you listen to or read. When I read a story I look at many sites to see if the one punishing ..which way to they lean. And in this case the one does. For me.. it matters. Forgive me not trying to offend.

12. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+694
    Atheist
    Private
    What part of the middle class population does not earn a living wage?

13. ChristianForCats

+536
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I take it you think the definition of middle class is people who earn a living wage.

14. Aryeh Jay

+8,787
    United States
    Married
    Umm, do you realize that to be “Middle Class” a person has to meet the definition of “Middle Class”? Everyone in the “Middle Class” makes a livable wage or else they wouldn’t be “Middle Class”.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Aryeh Jay

+8,787
    United States
    Married
    And what is your definition of the Middle Class? The people who live in the middle of a state? The people who live in the middle of town?

16. ChristianForCats

+536
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    A livable wage based on what? Being able to raise children and live in a house?

17. ChristianForCats

+536
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    My understanding is there are a poverty line and a wealth line and in between those two numbers is what we call the middle class.

18. Aryeh Jay

+8,787
    United States
    Married

The middle class is in-between those two groups, but not everyone between those two groups are middle class.

The middle class is…

“characterized by a high material standard of living, sexual morality, and respect for property”

And

“a fluid heterogeneous socioeconomic grouping composed principally of business and professional people, bureaucrats, and some farmers and skilled workers sharing common social characteristics and values”

According to a 2018 report from the Pew Research Center, 52% of American adults live in “middle class” households. The median income of that group was $78,442 in 2016.

Pew looked at various household sizes. Here’s the income range you’d have to earn each year to be considered middle class, depending on the size of your family:

Household of one: $26,093 to $78,281

Household of two: $36,902 to $110,706

Household of three: $45,195 to $135,586

Household of four: $52,187 to $156,561

Household of five: $58,347 to $175,041

Definition of MIDDLE-CLASS

52% of Americans are considered 'middle class'—here's how much money they earn

19. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,719
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    He's got to try to make up for the tax cuts and the trillions he has added to the deficit.

20. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+12,248
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    lol, what other side of the story? And here’s the link you forgot:

Trump proposes federal pay raise, familiar retirement cuts in 2021 budget | Federal News Network