the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The statement of purpose says questions asking for an Orthodox point of view are allowed so I think I can post this thread here?

I think I want to convert to Eastern Orthodoxy but I haven’t told my parents yet. I can’t imagine that conversation going very well - “there’s no point for the extra tradition, I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, where did you even get these ideas?”. Even if they were completely supportive, I wouldn’t be able to attend an EO church because my family attends a baptist church, I can’t drive, my parents wouldn’t want me to go places by myself even if I could drive, and I don’t think there are any EO churches nearby anyway.

Is not telling my parents lying or disobeying?

I asked God to help me find an answer and I opened the Bible to a random page and put my finger on a random verse. It was about how Ester hid who she was from the King. Does that mean I shouldn’t tell them yet? Was that the verse God wanted me to read?

Last edited:

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The statement of purpose says questions asking for an Orthodox point of view are allowed so I think I can post this thread here?

I think I want to convert to Eastern Orthodoxy but I haven’t told my parents yet. I can’t imagine that conversation going very well - “there’s no point for the extra tradition, I don’t think you know what you’re talking about, where did you even get these ideas?”. Even if they were completely supportive, I wouldn’t be able to attend an EO church because my family attends a baptist church, I can’t drive, my parents wouldn’t want me to go places by myself even if I could drive, and I don’t think there are any EO churches nearby anyway.

Is not telling my parents lying or disobeying?

I asked God to help me find an answer and I opened the Bible to a random page and put my finger on a random verse. It was about how Ester hid who she was from the King. Does that mean I shouldn’t tell them yet? Was that the verse God wanted me to read?

if this is how you feel God is calling you, then I suggest contacting your local priest to see if something can be done.

plus, at least in my experience, it’s best to let parents know (they will eventually find out) and they usually come around if they see the sincerity is genuine. it sometimes can take a while, so prayers for you!

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if this is how you feel God is calling you, then I suggest contacting your local priest to see if something can be done.

plus, at least in my experience, it’s best to let parents know (they will eventually find out) and they usually come around if they see the sincerity is genuine. it sometimes can take a while, so prayers for you!
Thanks for the advice and for the prayers!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0