Pacific Northwest
✟19,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love sci-fi, but it feels lacking. I love imaginary worlds. I love places that I'd never see in real life. Technology I'd never see in my life time. But something still seems to be lacking. Maybe it's that sci-fi has lost a sense of wonder. A sense of the divine. A sense of something beyond us. A sense of God. It rationalizes everything. It's rationalized as a biological process. I think I like sci-fi that still points to the need that we have for a sense of connection to God.

lol, my way of saying, I like sci-fi, but something feels lacking.

Reactions: jacks

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love sci-fi, but it feels lacking. I love imaginary worlds. I love places that I'd never see in real life. Technology I'd never see in my life time. But something still seems to be lacking. Maybe it's that sci-fi has lost a sense of wonder. A sense of the divine. A sense of something beyond us. A sense of God. It rationalizes everything. It's rationalized as a biological process. I think I like sci-fi that still points to the need that we have for a sense of connection to God.

Well, if such is the case, then you may enjoy some of my Sci Fi Christian film recommendations.

You can check that out the movie trailers for them here:

What Christian Movies Do You Find To Be The Most Rewatchable?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,676.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Interesting post. I think Star Wars years ago inspired the imagination this way as the Force be with you considered as God. For sure many in the Christian community didn't care for it for it seemed to connect to Buddhism etc but it was I think the basic thing you're referring to was like this.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Didn't George Lucas describe the Force as a melding of his Christian upbringing and Buddhist influences? He calls himself a Methodist Buddhist of sorts, iirc, though that was years ago.

C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy seems good, though it also has elements of fantasy mixed in, with an interesting story, though I only got a chance to read the last of them for a class years ago

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Tarkovsky's SOLARIS is a meaningful sci-fi film. May be too slow for some, but I never forgot it.

upload_2019-12-18_0-40-46.jpeg

Solaris

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love sci-fi, but it feels lacking.

Not feels, 'is' lacking a number of things.
The biggest abscence is scientific reality.
Spaceship combat, would not be within touching distance as so often portrayed. In space if you can detect a spaceship you can engage it and destroy it.

Space ship design, no porthole, they weaken the ships structure, in deep space there is nothing to see!
They add weight which is very costly in fuel.

If you want a healthy dose of scientific engineering based reality poured over your enjoyment of star trek, star wars etc read the 'Atomic Rocket website @
Atomic Rockets - Atomic Rockets

Intended to help scifi authors be more realistic based on current knowledge and reasonable developments.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

What I feel lacking in "modern" science fiction is imagination which died in the 90's.

I'm an inventor so I kinda know technological limitations and possibilities....

...And surprise!! Many of the recent sci-fi films are actually underplaying unbridled technological possibilities.

I did actual research work and experiments with "post-rocket" technologies. More advanced than even ion rockets, solar sails, nuclear, anti-matter, etc.

What you're seeing in movies are "dumbed down" possibilities of what are actually possible in the next decade if money and controlling people are negligible issues.

It's probably very crazy to claim "sci fi" tech are actually obsolete ideas have our world been different. We are dealing with a very serious cancer in our world and most people are already part of it.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe it's that sci-fi has lost a sense of wonder. A sense of the divine. A sense of something beyond us. A sense of God.

My new favorite genre is MMORPG literature...it's a mix of sci-fi (often incorporating virtual reality) and fantasy:

LitRPG: the books set in virtual reality online MMORPG games (613 books)

I just recently read:

Eden's Gate Series by Edward Brody

and

Awaken Online Series by Travis Bagwell

While they are not what you'd call "Christian" there is some subject matter that would lead readers to consider the "big questions".

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I like both cool Sci-Fi etc but also admirable characters. I couldn't relate well to "Michael Burnam" of Discovery in the first season because her behaviour was so un-Federation. But in many ways we are in the golden years of Sci-Fi.
I loved BSG. Each episode developed characters, and while there were some slow episodes and season 3's hostage & rebellion narrative was a bit trite, the rest of Season 3 and the big reveals in BSG were amazing! Also the meta-narrative!
I loved Firefly before BSG - it was just so fun and lighthearted compared to BSG's dark and psychologically traumatised characters. There was a lot of 9/11 inferences in the first season of BSG.
I love The Expanse. Enough said!

I also love a youtube channel that explores the engineering of possible Sci-Fi worlds, called Science and Futurism with Isaac Arthur. I look forward to every Thursday when fans greet each other with - "Happy Arthur's day."He explores what we could do with today's level of technology, just scaled up a bit.

He discusses what might be possible with today's tech. Imagine reliable solar power beamed down 24/7 from space? Or what about Huge O'Neil Cylinders built today's known materials? 8km wide, 32km long, spun up to 1g and perfectly climate controlled for our comfort (or whatever desert to frozen ecosystem we want to create.)

Megastructures in space could house unimaginable quadrillions of us just around our own sun, let alone the whole galaxy. That's possible with today's engineering! Let alone the huge things we could build with "active support" structures. (Think of a how a fireman's hose can throw a fireman through the air when the water is really under pressure.)

It also gets crazy with a few new technologies that are just on the horizon.

EG: carbon nanotubes in Space Elevators that might open up to huge continent sized McKendree Cylinders that house a billion people each!

EG: Fusion might really change civilisation as we know it, and opens up the idea of indoor agriculture and truly food independent Arcologies.

EG: Fusion candles that can hurl atmosphere off a gas giant, the purpose of which I don't want to spoil because it's so awesome! Please watch this one, which has a mildly boring middle but the punchline near the end is so amazing I was on a high for a week!

Isaac will sometimes even explore hypothetical or magical technologies, like what if we had force fields like out of Star Trek? He debunks the idea with today's physics, but then asks the 'what if' and explores whole new areas of potential for force fields that Star Trek authors never thought of. Those episodes also sometimes blow my mind.

He's been doing one a week for years now. You could probably watch one episode a day for about a year! Excellent youtube. His earlier episodes had amazing ideas, but the graphics were a bit poor. It's now a superbly produced show with a huge team working on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0