I know this is audacious to say, but I think EVERYONE (or most) are wrong about Psalm 22:1

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is actually why I made this very thread. It was this explanation on Wikipedia that had me come up with my own alternate. I'm glad that, even if I'm wrong, that others don't believe in this one because it's absolutely ridiculous (at least to me).
It is impossible to receive the full meaning of those words, when the record does not contain all of the necessary emphasis of His speech. So this becomes a test and evaluation of our own personal knowledge of who YHWH is.

Think of the context of Matthew 27:46. Jesus had been hanging on the cross during three hours of darkness, and yet the ones who had placed Him there had refused to repent, and had instead insisted that they would rather have freed Barabbas the murderous rebel than Jesus the miraculous teacher of love and truth. The Roman Centurion immediately declared his own conclusion of the matter: "surely, this one was the son of God".

Jesus had regarded the Jewish people as "lost sheep", because they had not been able to reestablish the true way of YHWH since the Babylonian Exile. They had come to implement many systems of complex rules and regulation, to adjudicate disputes about the interpretation of law between one lost sheep and another. Jesus argued with the religious leaders many times, that their observance of the law was not according to the heart of YHWH (the true God of Israel), and that even though they claimed to be serving Him, they in fact were serving another (Luke 13:15-16, Mark 7:5-13, John 8:42-45).

Deuteronomy 28:14, as well as many examples throughout the books of 1 Kings and 2 Kings, shows that Israel had been failing time and time again, to recognise and follow the way of a holy people, according to YHWH (The True God of Israel); and turning their honour toward foreign mighty ones, had become weakened in their righteousness (Isaiah 5:20). At the given point in time, their misguided worship has come to demand the blood of a righteous one whom YHWH had appointed to speak truthfully, only because of their envy and pride - their refusal to accept that this unqualified layperson, a carpenter, could possibly possess any right to teach and correct them about the religion that was their career and status.

That sinfulness was evidently greater than their love for truth and righteousness, and it had brought about an outcome that was distressing for Jesus (Luke 19:41-42, Luke 23:28-31, Isaiah 5:26-30).

I read this to be the most sensible emphasis in Matthew 27:46.

Upvote 0