I Know This Has Been Posted Before... But I Really Need Help...

Christian Dude

• Anointed, On-Fire, & Prophetic Christian •
Aug 23, 2004
West Virginia
✟2,328.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I'm so confused. I can't even understand it...

Sometimes I begin to pray in the Spirit, then sometimes I question it.

So many times I hear that you can pray in tongues whenever you want..
but I can't understand it... I want to be able to do it... and I am filled with the Spirit...

But I don't understand the ability of being able to pray and praise in tongues
whenever you want... I'm so scared of it being false... Sometimes I wonder
if I'm really in the Spirit praying or if I'm doing it on my own... :sigh:

I am Pentecostal... but I'm so confused. I've never had this question
answered fully. So I don't really know what to do.

With Prayers,
Brian

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
First off, know that if you ask your parent for bread, will they give you a stone? If you know how to give good...oh I'll post the verse:
"If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? qvb://0/anchor/1212Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? qvb://0/anchor/1313If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”
So you wonder if God will give you something bad when you ask Him for it, but God has made it clear He will not. Now if God gives you the ability to play music you can do it any time you want. Now for understanding it, it's by faith, and the Bible is clear that you wont. Just know that it edifies you, you speak what God wants you to, and know if God wants you to understand, you will. I'd bet though that what God wants you to know you already know, and you pray already knowing it.

Upvote 0

cynjo59

Oct 8, 2002
Western NY
Visit site
✟7,865.00
Faith
Pentecostal
God hears (and inhabits) the praise of His people, whether it be in tongues or your own lanquage. He hears your heart, and your prayers even when you really don't even know how to pray. At these times the Spirit intercedes for you. I think there can be a lot of confusion about "prayer languages"- don't agonize over it- God hears your every cry.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟570,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian Dude said:
I'm so confused. I can't even understand it...

So many times I hear that you can pray in tongues whenever you want..
but I can't understand it... I want to be able to do it... and I am filled with the Spirit...

But I don't understand the ability of being able to pray and praise in tongues
whenever you want... I'm so scared of it being false... Sometimes I wonder
if I'm really in the Spirit praying or if I'm doing it on my own... :sigh:

I am Pentecostal... but I'm so confused. I've never had this question
answered fully. So I don't really know what to do.

With Prayers,
Brian
Who does this verse say prays in tongues?
1 Corinthians 14:14 KJV
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Who did Jesus say would speak with new tongues:

Mark 16:17 KJV
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

What does Paul say for you to do?

Ephesians 5:18-19 KJV
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

The reason you are unsure is becasuse you are not fully aware of who and what you are. When you became born again, you became a new creature. You are now a child of God. You no longer exist... it is Christ that exists, lives, loves, and speaks out of your spirit.

Galatians 2:20 KJV
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Memorize that verse and get it into yourself solid.
I no longer live.. it is Christ that lives in me. The old me is gone. All things were made new. When I speak out of my spirit, it is really Christ speaking out of me.

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

When you settle this in your heart and mind, you will cease to worry about this matter.
Dids

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
When you pray in the spirit, it is you doing it. So that is why you can do it when ever you want.
You don't have to worry about it being false or demonic, or anything like that. If it was wrong, people would be doing it in bars.
God knows your heart, and your motives, and if you are wrong, don't you think He would teach you?

I pray in tongues whenever I want to, or when the situation calls for it.
I don't know how many times I think of the Lord, but I just don't know what to say in my own understanding.
But I do know that I can always pray in tongues, and that helps me keep my focus on God. Or else the thought of God changes to something else.

Its like a baby talking to their parents, in a goo goo language. That baby doesn't make sense, but there is something special about it. Now it is much deeper than that, but that is a good example.

Upvote 0

IKTCA

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2003
✟18,959.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Christian Dude said:

... I'm so scared of it being false...

Dear Brother Brian,

If I were you, I would be hesitant and scared of being false, too. If I weren't scared, I would be dishonest to myself and the Lord.

Let me ask you a question. What evidence would you need? If the Lord gave you the interpretation, and you became aware that your spiritual prayer was a beautiful worship or a message from God to man, would you be convinced?

If your answer is yes, it's time for you to seek interpretation. Then your mind will pray along with your spirit.

What should I do then? I will pray with the spirit, but I will pray with the mind also. (1 Cor 14:15)

Which would be more pleasing to the Lord, praising him with your spirit or worshipping him with both spirit and mind? Would you want your mind to participate in your worship, too?

Brother Brian, let me tell you that those who speak in tongues are commanded by the Lord to seek the interpretation.

Therefore, one who speak in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret. (1 Cor 14:13)

Speaking in tongues is a good way, but interpretation is a better way. I exhort you to seek the better way from the Lord.

Rupert

Upvote 0

Christian Dude

• Anointed, On-Fire, & Prophetic Christian •
Aug 23, 2004
West Virginia
✟2,328.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Wow... I didn't really understand a lot of these verses until now.

Maybe I should read my Bible more often like I used to.

Yes we should pray for interpretation... but sometimes God will not let us know
the things of the Spirit for various reasons. If we ask Him He will tell us when the time is right.

With Prayers,
Brian

Upvote 0

Hisgirl

Loved into Heaven by a Violent Act of Grace
Aug 10, 2004
USA
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would just like to be able to open my mouth and let it flow....be happy you have this gift. Practice it. If I had more that the three or four words I have, I don't think you could shut me up! I enjoy praying with my mind, but boy, would I like to do the other! I have other gifts...prophecy being one....It's funny though, how people who do speak in tongues will say to me..."Just open your mouth and let it come out!" For some reason, the Holy Spirit hasn't given me more utterance than a word here and there....it can be frustrating to hear that statement...kinda like me saying,"Just open your mouth and let the prophecy flow!" It just doesn't always happen that way. So Christian Dude, enjoy your gift, ask for discernment.....but remember, crucify your flesh and yield to the spirit. You're not supposed to involve your mind....when those negative thoughts come to it....it's the enemy and just state out loud,"Satan, it is written...."For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God , for no one understands him; however in the spirit he speaks mysteries." 1 Cor. 14:2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums