Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I just found out my uncle died earlier today. I liked him, and I regret we could not over the years spend more time together. He was a quiet person, and did not talk a great deal He was Greek-American, raised Orthodox, and married my aunt, who was a Catholic convert. He worked as a social worker his whole life in Oklahoma City. My aunt and uncle adopted a Korean boy when I was about eight, and they attended the local Catholic church as a family, he even taught Sunday School. He had been in ill health for a few years from diabetes. Last month, my cousin came out as gay (which did not come as a big surprise to me), and my aunt and uncle accepted him.

He had been ill and on dialysis , and he came down with the flu and took a turn for the worse, and died quickly. My understanding is that he will probably have a Greek Orthodox funeral, which unfortunately I won't be able to attend.

Remember, O Lord, your servant, Stamatis Hondranastas. Shelter him in a place of brightness, a place of verdure, a place of repose, whence all sickness, sorrow, and sighing have fled away, and where the sight of Your countenance rejoices all Your saints from all ages. Grant him Your kingdom and a portion in Your ineffable and eternal blessings, and the enjoyment of Your unending life. For You are the Resurrection and the Life and the Repose of Your departed servants, O Christ, and to You we ascribe glory, together with Your Father, who is from everlasting, and Your all-holy, good, and life-giving Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

Please pray also for the family he left behind.

Last edited:

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Christ, have mercy. That is very hard. Prayers, for everyone.

Yeah, he was only 66. But on the positive side, it sounds like he had his affairs in order.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember his mom alot, her name was Fotini. She was very kind to me, even though I was not her kin, she didn't care. His dad was an artist that made a very large statue in Tulsa that's still there (The Golden Driller), he was a refugee from Greece.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

mnfanboy4life

Mar 14, 2019
Eden Prairie
✟8,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just found out my uncle died earlier today. I liked him, and I regret we could not over the years spend more time together. He was a quiet person, and did not talk a great deal He was Greek-American, raised Orthodox, and married my aunt, who was a Catholic convert. He worked as a social worker his whole life in Oklahoma City. My aunt and uncle adopted a Korean boy when I was about eight, and they attended the local Catholic church as a family, he even taught Sunday School. He had been in ill health for a few years from diabetes. Last month, my cousin came out as gay (which did not come as a big surprise to me), and my aunt and uncle accepted him.

He had been ill and on dialysis , and he came down with the flu and took a turn for the worse, and died quickly. My understanding is that he will probably have a Greek Orthodox funeral, which unfortunately I won't be able to attend.

Remember, O Lord, your servant, Stamatis Hondranastas. Shelter him in a place of brightness, a place of verdure, a place of repose, whence all sickness, sorrow, and sighing have fled away, and where the sight of Your countenance rejoices all Your saints from all ages. Grant him Your kingdom and a portion in Your ineffable and eternal blessings, and the enjoyment of Your unending life. For You are the Resurrection and the Life and the Repose of Your departed servants, O Christ, and to You we ascribe glory, together with Your Father, who is from everlasting, and Your all-holy, good, and life-giving Spirit, now and forever. Amen.

I'm sorry for your loss. I pray for his soul.

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lord have mercy! Prayers for you, and your family for all that you're going through FireDragon. I know exactly how that can be. Sometimes it seems like when it rains it pours, and I'm truly sorry to hear you're experiencing something like that.

• Friendly
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I feel your pain. My dad's brothers and sister were real characters and I miss them all. They all had a lot of love for family and were the warmest people I've known. Even if they got too rowdy at times and the brothers ended up in jail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟436,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So sorry for your loss!
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zingerbug.com%2FComments%2Fglitter_graphics%2Fsympathycandle.JPG

Upvote 0