Nov 12, 2008
✟240,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Are you a professional psychiatrist or psychologist? If so, then I'd have to consider your "diagnosis".
No, but like all other humans I am an amateur one. It's what contributes to our humanity.

The dictionary defines "irrational" as:
(1) : not endowed with reason or understanding
(2) : lacking usual or normal mental clarity or coherence

and even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where non-life gave rise to life, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that irreducible complexity is not an issue with evolution, etc., the fact of the matter is, I still wouldn't accept the theories being taught by the evolutionists. Why? Because I simply don't want to believe it.
If you stand by the second quote then, by the definitions provided by yourself in the first quote, you are irrational: you completely lack understanding of evolution; you would reject something that was proven to you, simply because you don't want to believe it. That's Nobel prize, Oscar award, Eurovision Song Contest, Olympic decathlon level irrationality. That's irrationality squared, all done up in bright blue costume of cognitive dissonance.

Thanks for the conversation. Just remember, never hit yourself with a hammer, even if you don't want to believe it will hurt.

Edited to correct grammatical faux pas in last sentence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Tbh, I don't know if my belief system is rational / reasonable, but it doesn't matter to me. It is what it is. And actually, I think I'm being intellectually honest with myself to admit that I don't want to believe some of the stuff I mentioned in the OP.

I see it as finding lost keys. If you lost your keys, you search for them. But after you've found them you don't keep searching. I've found what I believe to be true, so I don't need to keep searching. In fact, I'm not even interested in searching further.
So what you're saying is that you don't really care about what's true, you just want to live in whatever fantasy world you want to live in?

Kudos for being honest then, but I care about the world I live in and the world we'll eventually leave our descendants - so on that note, I'm disappointed and even slightly concerned that you don't care about the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been thinking a lot about the whole evolution/creation thing and as a result I recently learned something about myself. I was thinking, even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where nothing became something, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where non-life gave rise to life, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that irreducible complexity is not an issue with evolution, etc., the fact of the matter is, I still wouldn't accept the theories being taught by the evolutionists. Why? Because I simply don't want to believe it.

This realization has made me wonder if there might be others (on either side of the fence) who refuse to believe something just because they don't want to? Since it's true for me, I imagine it's true for others, too. (It's rather liberating to learn something about yourself.)
. This is from a few days ago . I’d google Morton’s demon . It’s about a creationist who worked with geologists and despite that, he held on to his YEC for years and slowly came to the conclusion that he was deliberately shutting out info that he was dead wrong.( it’s called confirmation bias if you do that and it’s an easy way to come to the wrong conclusion) Morton nicknamed his confirmation bias after a famous physics thought experiment (Maxwell’s demon), by the way - before some idiot starts screaming about satanic influences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EC41CFE7-C16B-4630-A510-BCD71B8825CF.jpeg

Again this is a screenshot of the original. You’ll have to google it .

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if it's reasonable or not.

People are different.

Some folks can't reconcile a belief or accepting something in their mind, if it does not appear to be rational or logical.

Other folks, need to reconcile certain beliefs in their mind, because they provide comfort.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People are different.

Some folks can't reconcile a belief or accepting something in their mind, if it does not appear to be rational or logical.

Other folks, need to reconcile certain beliefs in their mind, because they provide comfort.
Well put!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if it's reasonable or not.

How do you think you can tell if a position is reasonable?

Do you think that allowing your own personal desires to be the measure of whether something is true or not is reasonable? In other words, do you think it is reasonable to believe something is true just because you like the idea of it being true?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
People are different.

I found it telling how Ophiolite's house keys analogy was evaded, first by denying the hypothetical, "I knew it was the right one because I have my keys marked", then by denying it because it was hypothetical, "... the key thing is just a hypothetical example anyway, so it really doesn't matter."

It does matter; it's relevant because it points out, clearly and simply, the type of error being made.

Looks like Morton's Demon at work... ;)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Can you give me an example of where it would be desirable to hold an UNreasonable position?
Please Miss! Please Miss! I know the answer to this one: when not holding the unreasonable position would lead to the erosion and eventual dismantlement of a worldview one has held for years or decades. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you give me an example of where it would be desirable to hold an UNreasonable position?

That is unique to each person.

Some folks, have a psychological need to hold onto, or protect certain beliefs, because it would cause too much internal pain, to admit the belief is wrong.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Science doesn't depend on christianity, or any other religion, at all.

What an insane thing to say...…..

Why is that insane?
Can you explain why science works?
Why in a universe, that according to evolutionary theory is caused by random events, is there mathmatical order?
Please explain this.

You acknowledge that the universe has a begining, that its origin is 'supernatural' in that it can not be explained by natural means. Yet close your mind to the idea that there is a 'super natural'.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why is that insane?
Why in a universe, that according to evolutionary theory is caused by random events, is there mathmatical order?
Please explain this.

You acknowledge that the universe has a begining, that its origin is 'supernatural' in that it can not be explained by natural means. Yet close your mind to the idea that there is a 'super natural'.

I actually think every statement above is wrong. Impressive

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why is that insane?

Because christianity is faith based and science is the exact opposite.

Because it is empirical and evidence-based.

1. evolution theory concerns matters of biology. Specifically, it concerns how existing life diversifies through darwinian means (descent with modification + natural selection). It has diddly squat to say about the universe.

2. math is a symbolic language that we invented to describe how the universe works. The universe works in a certain way. Math is just the symbolic description thereof. Ie, it was developed specifically for that purpose.

You acknowledge that the universe has a begining, that its origin is 'supernatural' in that it can not be explained by natural means.

I most certainly didn't ever say anything remotely like that.
I don't know how the space-time continuum got started. Neither do you. Nobody does.

Yet close your mind to the idea that there is a 'super natural'.

No. I just don't simply accept things as true that aren't supported by any evidence at all.

In this case, it's even worse then simply "not supported". It's actually unsupportable. Because it's an unfalsifiable claim.

Such claims are infinite in number and without any merrit.

To quote Prof Dawkins: "We should have an open mind. But not SO open that our brains are falling out..."

Upvote 0