Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,343.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I've been thinking a lot about the whole evolution/creation thing and as a result I recently learned something about myself. I was thinking, even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where nothing became something, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that there was a moment in the past where non-life gave rise to life, and even if someone could 100% prove to me that irreducible complexity is not an issue with evolution, etc., the fact of the matter is, I still wouldn't accept the theories being taught by the evolutionists. Why? Because I simply don't want to believe it.

This realization has made me wonder if there might be others (on either side of the fence) who refuse to believe something just because they don't want to? Since it's true for me, I imagine it's true for others, too. (It's rather liberating to learn something about yourself.)

Not that I am aware of. I feel that if I am shown enough evidence it will convince me that my previous position was wrong. I might not like the new evidence but I will still feel that it is likely correct.

You do realize that if you feel the way you claim here it makes it difficult for you to weigh the evidence since, as you claim, you will not accept it no matter what?

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟293,710.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That is unique to each person.

Some folks, have a psychological need to hold onto, or protect certain beliefs, because it would cause too much internal pain, to admit the belief is wrong.

I'm just asking for one example. I'm not asking for one that would be suitable for all people. Just one example of how one person could find it best to hold a position which is unreasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0