I just can't go to Monday Mass anymore. Prayers please.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm really conflicted about going to Monday Mass because the priest for that Mass has an extremely rude temperament and many angry outbursts. I know that I should (and have) prayed for him. After 5 years of this, I just can't continue. The last straw was him telling me I needed to lose weight (when I had actually lost weight). I look fine--I think that was just a 'hater' comment.
He yells at volunteers and tells them they can "be replaced" over trivial things. He snatched a bible out of a nun's hand and told her she was "fired" and needed to go work in a nursing home. He told visitors that they need to "go to their own churches" and he's sick of doing funerals for people who don't attend his church regularly. These incidents occurred during Mass!
He brags that he can't be "fired" because there is no one to replace him. People have complained to his superior, but nothing ever came of it.
I could go on and on, but mainly I just need prayers of discernment as to whether I should ever go back. I quit going about 3 weeks ago. I'm almost afraid to go back because he'll yell "Where have you been??!"
Prayers please for this priest and myself. I pray he somehow realizes how much damage he's doing due to his uncontrolled temper. If God has placed me at that church on Mondays for a reason, I pray that I'm able to go back.
Thanks! :crosseo:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's horrible! I say that type of behavior cannot go on unchecked. I would not be concerned about going to Monday Mass at this point. I will pray for all concerned.
I'm really conflicted about going to Monday Mass because the priest for that Mass has an extremely rude temperament and many angry outbursts. I know that I should (and have) prayed for him. After 5 years of this, I just can't continue. The last straw was him telling me I needed to lose weight (when I had actually lost weight). I look fine--I think that was just a 'hater' comment.
He yells at volunteers and tells them they can "be replaced" over trivial things. He snatched a bible out of a nun's hand and told her she was "fired" and needed to go work in a nursing home. He told visitors that they need to "go to their own churches" and he's sick of doing funerals for people who don't attend his church regularly. These incidents occurred during Mass!
He brags that he can't be "fired" because there is no one to replace him. People have complained to his superior, but nothing ever came of it.
I could go on and on, but mainly I just need prayers of discernment as to whether I should ever go back. I quit going about 3 weeks ago. I'm almost afraid to go back because he'll yell "Where have you been??!"
Prayers please for this priest and myself. I pray he somehow realizes how much damage he's doing due to his uncontrolled temper. If God has placed me at that church on Mondays for a reason, I pray that I'm able to go back.
Thanks! :crosseo:

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Thanks all. I agree Michie, unless he makes a radical change, I don't see myself going to Monday Mass anytime soon. He can be in a good mood and I'm on pins and needles wondering if his mood is gonna flip and he'll get angry. I can't enjoy the Mass that way.
Thanks for your prayers!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He sounds super unpredictable with some underlying issues going on. You do not go to Mass to be verbally and mentally abused by the priest!
Thanks all. I agree Michie, unless he makes a radical change, I don't see myself going to Monday Mass anytime soon. He can be in a good mood and I'm on pins and needles wondering if his mood is gonna flip and he'll get angry. I can't enjoy the Mass that way.
Thanks for your prayers!

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
He sounds super unpredictable with some underlying issues going on. You do not go to Mass to be verbally and mentally abused by the priest!
That's exactly what I was thinking. I go to Mass to worship Jesus and experience that Love. Not sit there wondering if he's in a "good" mood today.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
*Friendly post*
Can you talk to your bishop?
People have in the past--and it didn't amount to anything. Most people just leave that church for another when he verbally explodes on them.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People have in the past--and it didn't amount to anything. Most people just leave that church for another when he verbally explodes on them.
I would still try it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly! It does a huge disservice to the Church and we have enough skeletons falling out of the closet. Verbally and mentally abusive priests on top of all that is something that needs to be fixed as well. Does he preside over Mass just on Mondays?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I go to Mass to worship Jesus and experience that Love. Not sit there wondering if he's in a "good" mood today.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
N'sane...
My advise, take it or leave it is to attend mass without talking to him at all.
This is my way to deal with such issues as I've encountered the worst priest ever, or so I thought until I read your post.
Go to sunday mass and stay away from that toxic environment on weekdays.

Hope things improve sister. God bless.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Exactly! It does a huge disservice to the Church and we have enough skeletons falling out of the closet. Verbally and mentally abusive priests on top of all that is something that needs to be fixed as well. Does he preside over Mass just on Mondays?
He occasionally does Mass on Sundays at a church I go to. It's a fairly big crowd, so he usually acts much better. I noticed that the larger the crowd, the better he behaves. On those days, I sit in the back and leave when Mass is over.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
N'sane...
My advise, take it or leave it is to attend mass without talking to him at all.
This is my way to deal with such issues as I've encountered the worst priest ever, or so I thought until I read your post.
Go to sunday mass and stay away from that toxic environment on weekdays.

Hope things improve sister. God bless.
I try not to talk to him, but he seeks you out and says the most incredibly rude stuff. When he said I needed to lose weight, I was walking in the door and he yelled it from across the room (in front of everyone).
I will go to Sunday Mass and (at another church) I will go on Saturdays. The Saturday priest is very nice and never loses his temper.
Thanks, God bless you too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I try not to talk to him, but he seeks you out and says the most incredibly rude stuff. When he said I needed to lose weight, I was walking in the door and he yelled it from across the room (in front of everyone).
I will go to Sunday Mass and (at another church) I will go on Saturdays. The Saturday priest is very nice and never loses his temper.
Thanks, God bless you too!

Then you should avoid his masses at all cost. I believe that even mass obligation falls away if attending mass results in putting oneself in a harmful environment.
The sad thing is that he's probably one hundred percent correct. He won't get fired regardless of how he acts.
As long as he's not committing any crime such as paedophilia or something similar he's rather untouchable.

This is a huge problem with our ecclesiastical structure imho.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Then you should avoid his masses at all cost. I believe that even mass obligation falls away if attending mass results in putting oneself in a harmful environment.
The sad thing is that he's probably one hundred percent correct. He won't get fired regardless of how he acts.
As long as he's not committing any crime such as paedophilia or something similar he's rather untouchable.

This is a huge problem with our ecclesiastical structure imho.

I agree. He knows he can allow his temper to run unchecked because there probably is no one to replace him. I wanted to 'talk' with everyone here before I made my decision, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going back. I'll just watch Mass on EWTN on Mondays.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like the best thing to do at this point.
I agree. He knows he can allow his temper to run unchecked because there probably is no one to replace him. I wanted to 'talk' with everyone here before I made my decision, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going back. I'll just watch Mass on EWTN on Mondays.

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0