I John 1:9 - Confession and Forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Brethren IN CHRIST said:
There are three groups in 1 cor 10:32 Jews, Gentiles and Christians

does God say only Jews and Gentiles are sinners and Christians are perfect?

romans 3:23 for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

what is happening in John 1:8,10 is that we all sin....

But postionally God does not impute sin on Christians ....romans 4:8

this is once again God's soveriegnity vs Man's free will .....both are true
you do not understand that we have two desireous will's do you.

Galations talks about how carnal believers attack spiritual believers Gal 4:29, Gal 5:13, Gal 5:16-18...or even Romans 8:5-8

Upvote 0

growingupinhim

Dec 24, 2003
temp on Earth..soon to Fly!
Visit site
✟10,131.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I have struggled with this scripture myself...thinking as a christian who has sin (who hasn't),that I must confess my sin to be restored to fellowship..because we all know that sin seperates us from God..that said...I now ask God fro forgivness of my sin, letting him know iImessed up and not only sinned and done wrong but grieved his spirit. I know he has already paid the price for my sins however, when we sin God wants us to repent..of it..turn away from practing in it. Its Gods grace that substains us..however Jesus want us to love him..to love him is to obey him!! :)

Upvote 0

orthotomeo

U.E.S.I.C.
Jan 2, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟350.00
Faith
Christian
growingupinhim said:
I must confess my sin to be restored to fellowship..because we all know that sin seperates us from God..that said...I now ask God fro forgivness of my sin

I agree with you that we SHOULD confess all sin and repent of it because God is now our Father (if we're believers) and because of the infinite price He paid to save us from our sin.

But if I may ask:

1) where does Paul (apostle to the Gentiles - that's us) teach that our fellowship/relationship with God is disrupted or broken by our sin? Where's he say that?

2) how can 1 Jn 1:9 apply to you and me, when Col 2:13-14 and other verses says God has already forgiven us ALL sin (meaning all sin we'll ever commit)? Isn't there a contradiciton there, IF we're going to take 1 Jn 1:9 literally?

I only want to draw a clear line between what the Bible actually says, and what human tradition SAYS it says.

Eternally safe in Him,

o.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.