Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But when you're right, you're right. And she's right.

I'm sure we've all watched with dread and sadness the unfolding story of young Gabby Petito. A tragic tale. Allowed to travel with her boyfriend across country and it ends as things sometimes do in this broken world. May God receive her in His loving arms and cover the hearts and minds of her loved ones.

But Ms. Reid is right. The only reason I know about her is because she fits the checklist that determines 99% of the national media stories surrounding missing persons, and that's: 1) young, 2) blonde, 3) pretty, 4) white. And sometimes 5) rich. If you see a coast to coast national media frenzy coverage over a missing person, you can bet your bottom dollar the missing person fills four, if not all five, of those qualifications.

Younger children will sometimes fall away from that that list, based on circumstances. But teens and older? I don't even have to hear the details. If I hear on a national news outlet 'missing person' I can almost be assured it's a young, beautiful, blonde woman. On the rarest of occasions a beautiful brunet will make the grade. Apparently red heads are never missing.

Continued below.
Daffey Thoughts: I hate to admit when Joy Reid is correct

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟199,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it is relatively rare to see cases in this category in the news, and yet it happens often enough that we have national amber alert hotlines, lists of missing children in police stations, for people you've never seen or heard about.

Granted that some missing people choose to be missing, but there's usually a sad story behind that too.

There is one other category that sometimes makes the news that doesn't check off any of the 5 items, and that is bizarre, creepy, cultish or otherwise unbelievably uncomfortable to think about back stories which could involve ugly people. Most of us are average and not particularly notable to the news outlets.

You could also say the same thing about war casualties. Thousands of people could die, but somehow it makes news everywhere when a pro football player who enlisted is killed. Or prince Harry serving his country is more important than all the other British soldiers beside him. Or everyone being upset when Elvis Presley or Mohammed Ali was drafted.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I kindly disagree. There are countless things right now not being reported. I can easily show how the right reported on black missing. shot. killed and of those stories the right said nothing. Now to bring this even closer just talking this year.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟199,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I kindly disagree. There are countless things right now not being reported. I can easily show how the right reported on black missing. shot. killed and of those stories the right said nothing. Now to bring this even closer just talking this year.

I think your post has a typo that needs editing. Two rights don't make a left.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This may sound bad but maybe because if a nonwhite person is missing, chances are that the perpetrator is nonwhite too and the media won't want to make nonwhites look bad. Gabby's boyfriend was a white man and for the media that's good enough. The media needs to make a white man look bad. If the boyfriend had not been white, the story may not have gotten coverage either, because the media only wants to make white men look bad. But if or when they do report nonwhite people missing, in the future, the media is going to make sure that the perp is white.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0