Religious Sister Tells How She Discovered Her Vocation at a WYD Thanks to Benedict XVI

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Papal words in Cologne began the process of youthful discernment.

Speaking from World Youth Day in Lisbon, the “City of Joy,” a Iesu Communio (Communion in Jesus) sister shared her vocation story with ACI Prensa, CNA’s Spanish-language news partner.

“I met Jesus at a WYD in Cologne [in 2005], when I was 14 years old. It was through some words of Pope Benedict XVI, who, for me, is a father,” recounted the sister, who did not wish to give her name.

The sister, who is from the Emiliano-Romagnol area in northern Italy, related that during that World Youth Day, Benedict XVI spoke “of the Eucharist as a ‘kiss’ and of adoration as a prostration before Jesus, who is love.”

“I, who was looking for love, like any 14-year-old girl, recognized that the only one who could hug me and ‘kiss’ my whole being to the depths was Jesus, who had given himself up for me until the end.”

The young sister emphasized that she recognized “this desire that I had to surrender myself” and that it was as if Jesus were saying to her: “You can surrender yourself to me because I am love. And surrendering yourself will not take away your dignity, but quite the opposite: It will make you a woman, a spouse and a mother.”

“There, I felt the vocation, but I did not know about Iesu Communio, because I lived in Italy; and after a few years, I went to study for a master’s degree in Madrid. And when I met the sisters, it was like the evidence that Jesus wanted me here, that he has in mind a specific place for each person.”

Continued below.