• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I feel like crying about having a Mac

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Excuse me, but I've earned the award of "Annoying Canadian" and I definitely don't appreciate the competition! :amen:
Oh, so you have something in common with Australians? I never knew, but it's making sense now.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Planned obsolescence".
It's actually kind of sad to see how people jump on the latest iPhones, even paying extra for special colors and everything, and then maybe a year later it's already "old" and they're completely bored with it and trading it in for something "better".

My co-worker got the latest iPhone and was proudly showing it off to everyone and all its special features and great camera, and literally a month later Apple said support for that version was going to being discontinued soon... Meanwhile, I have a beat up Android and it suits me perfectly fine. ^_^

Android is amazing! It's almost a computer. My company bought us iPhones a few years back and they were useless. Since the Note 3 we've been on Android. Now we use the Note 8 which is good but I hate the sealed battery. I personally have an LG V20 which is one of the last with a removable battery.

I also have an iPad which is mainly used for reading. The pen is fabulous because I get carpel tunnel in my wrists if I use the touchscreen too much.
The iPad has a useless file system like the iPhone, but I could not find an android tablet that comes close to the build quality and I do prefer iOS for surfing the web/ebooks. The built in dictionary in iOS is indispensable.

Upvote 0

My King and Lord

Mar 7, 2019
I am not from Albania
✟20,487.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You obviously missed the part about my mom buying it. Also, I am a woman.
Well if you got it as a gift then there is no reason to be sad. Someone else used their money to buy you something. Someone decided to get you something simply because they wanted you to have it. I really don't see why you should be sad. Someone bought you something. Someone else, not yourself, and that someone cares for you so much they decided to get you a Mac.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well if you got it as a gift then there is no reason to be sad. Someone else used their money to buy you something. Someone decided to get you something simply because they wanted you to have it. I really don't see why you should be sad. Someone bought you something. Someone else, not yourself, and that someone cares for you so much they decided to get you a Mac.

Can't we just chat about computers in this thread without being lectured like Mommy Dearest? Has anyone ever told you that you're critical? Sigh.

Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

My King and Lord

Mar 7, 2019
I am not from Albania
✟20,487.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can't we just chat about computers in this thread without being lectured like Mommy Dearest? Has anyone ever told you that you're critical? Sigh.
I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to help her not make her feel bad. I have a really slow computer that I had to remove a bunch of viruses from. You shouldn't be crying over something you got, rather you should be thankful for what you have. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 states that we we should be thankful in any situation. There are many people in this world who can't even feed themselves at night. I don't think anyone should feel bad after getting a computer, especially a Mac as a gift. That is just being being picky and selfish if you wanted a different brand over the brand you got.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to help her not make her feel bad. I have a really slow computer that I had to remove a bunch of viruses from. You shouldn't be crying over something you got, rather you should be thankful for what you have. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 states that we we should be thankful in any situation. There are many people in this world who can't even feed themselves at night. I don't think anyone should feel bad after getting a computer, especially a Mac as a gift. That is just being being picky and selfish if you wanted a different brand over the brand you got.

I understand but I don't think the computer is the real problem. She said she's depressed. Best not dump on the girl, instead try and cheer her up. Or join in the conversation friend. God Bless!

Upvote 0

My King and Lord

Mar 7, 2019
I am not from Albania
✟20,487.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand but I don't think the computer is the real problem. She said she's depressed. Best not dump on the girl, instead try and cheer her up. Or join in the conversation friend. God Bless!
Well if she is depressed then she needs to connect with the Lord more. She is protestant so all the feast are coming up this week for Western Christianity. Easter is one of the biggest feast in Christianity and if she actually goes to a church that talks about Jesus on that day, she'll feel more connected. Prayer, fasting, going to church, and reading the Bible are the biggest ways of connecting to God. Especially if you do it daily.

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Thank you! The real problem is why I have this computer instead of one I wanted: my living situation. My mom had to buy it because I don't have $800+ (desktop computer plus tax and a warranty). Every cent I have in the bank is actually transferred there from Mom's checking account. The reason I am unemployed (this is noted on my profile) is disabilities (epilepsy, hearing loss, and ASD) prevent me from finding a job in Gainesville. Those problems and others make living in my own condominium impossible until Mom dies and I inherit the unit. Unless something terrible happens to her, she should outlive my computer.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The problem is Apple is that when something goes wrong with one of their laptops, you can't get the parts to fix it yourself, and they grossly overcharge you for repairs if the machine is out of warranty. Their machines are not built to last, and a person can pay $2,500 for a top of the range laptop and the keyboard can fail just after the warranty runs out, and because the keyboard is riveted to the case, it can take over two hours to replace it, and because of the low quality of replacement keyboards, there is no guarantee that the new keyboard is going to work.

If you take your malfunctioning laptop into an Apple store, the staff there are not properly trained and they will say it is unfixable and persuade you to buy another laptop.

There are reports of third party repairers who can repair Apple laptops at a fraction of the price Apple charge, who have had their shipments of spare parts from overseas seized by U.S. Customs, and it has been strongly suggested that there has been some influence on U.S. Customs by Apple to ensure that this happens, even though the parts are authentic Apple parts, but Customs decide they are not. This is because Apple has had influence over some officials to ensure that good repairers are prevented from doing their good job.

I think that is corruption of government agencies by Apple. And who knows what and how much money has changed hands to enable that to happen?
Which brings up the larger issue of the right to repair what we own. Apple and many other companies make it difficult to impossible to repair what we own. There are numerous legislative bills in the various states of the USA and world wide to restore to us the right to repair what we own. Such efforts need our support.

That said, the Apple way does insure some quality in repair. It is too restrictive but it does have a good goal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Linux is beyond most average computer users, sadly.
That was true only a few years ago. Now Fedora and Ubuntu are simpler, IMHO, than Windows. I have been using Fedora from the beginning, and it is so much better and so much easier than it was. People do not need to fear Linux as too geeky. The geekiness is there if you want it, but it is optional now.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Calling all Apple fans, I need backup! ;)
The religious wars between Apple fanboys and Windows fanboys reminds me of those between Catholics and Protestants. Mostly everybody talks past each other.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's a good point. I have a fantastic recycling center near me, and recently they stopped taking electronics for recycling. They will only take them with general trash. I'm not sure why, perhaps the tariff wars are the problem. But a lot of toxic waste is going to be going into the ground. There needs to be a better way to deal with obsolete equipment.
A lot of the recycled hardware is shipped to poor countries in Africa where some are repurposed to be used again, some are scavanged for parts, some metals are reclaimed, and the rest is a trash heap, some of it quite toxic. An ethical recycler here might reclaim the material safely, but I doubt if that is a large percentage of old hardware. It would be wise of us to repair more so we can discard less.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The religious wars between Apple fanboys and Windows fanboys reminds me of those between Catholics and Protestants. Mostly everybody talks past each other.

What is that supposed to mean? There is no religion involved in the war between Microsoft and Apple.

Catholics and Protestants have very different views about major aspects of Christianity, but they don't go around telling people their own beliefs make them more Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Anyway, can someone help me stop thinking about how bad Apple is and wishing Mom would let me get a Dell instead? There are times when I look forward to Mom's death (no, I don't want her to die) because of things like this.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What is that supposed to mean? There is no religion involved in the war between Microsoft and Apple.
It may not be a religion TO YOU, but they do have evangelists. Literally they do. It's two rival religions.

For a look at Umberto Eco's opinion on this: Umberto Eco's piece on Mac and DOS, Catholic and Protestant

Catholics and Protestants have very different views about major aspects of Christianity, but they don't go around telling people their own beliefs make them more Christian.
Oh yes they do, or some of them anyway. Some go so far as to say that the other side is damned. And historically they have been willing to kill each other over their differences.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When I was in college, it seemed like everyone used Apple. And just about every professor who had any issue with his computer during class immediately blamed it on Windows. I kind of got tired of it. I used Windows my whole time at college and never had to go to the IT department once. Meanwhile, people were always taking their Macs to get fixed...

I think it actually came down to a lack of knowledge of how computers work. If my computer had any little issue, I knew exactly what to do to remedy it. But those with Macs were helpless, basically.

It really was ridiculous how they made students who used Windows feel ashamed. And that was a Christian college! As a Linguistics major, there were programs I needed for class that only were available on Windows. Macs were for the arts, not for data analysis.

Upvote 0