• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I feel like crying about having a Mac

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Because Windows computers don't have remotely decent sound without external speakers, I would expect Apple laptops to work better for a linguistics class.

The problem with people getting their Macs repaired is only the company cna take them apart to do it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It says I need to use a CD to install Windows 10. One moreb reason I hate my computer is it doesn't have a CD drive.
You have to install Windows from something. You have to buy it and get a registration key. What format is the Windows you will be installing?

A CD drive that plugs in to a USB slot is cheap and easy.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When I was in college, it seemed like everyone used Apple. And just about every professor who had any issue with his computer during class immediately blamed it on Windows. I kind of got tired of it. I used Windows my whole time at college and never had to go to the IT department once. Meanwhile, people were always taking their Macs to get fixed...

I think it actually came down to a lack of knowledge of how computers work. If my computer had any little issue, I knew exactly what to do to remedy it. But those with Macs were helpless, basically.

It really was ridiculous how they made students who used Windows feel ashamed. And that was a Christian college! As a Linguistics major, there were programs I needed for class that only were available on Windows. Macs were for the arts, not for data analysis.
Eh, when my daughter went to college she got on the network by herself without my help and without the helpdesk folks either. Meanwhile every other freshman was tearing his or her hair because they couldn't get on. They were using windows. My daughter a Mac. There are stories of all sorts. I spend a big chunk of my day supporting windows networking. And it does eventually work. I prefer the cleanness of Linux networking myself. I can diagnose and solve a networking problem while the Windows folks are asking what happened.

You are right that some Mac users don't get deep into the inner workings of their computers. Some Windows users will. But another chunk will simply throw up their hands. Reminds me of the old computer joke. You only have 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Should I just go ahead and ho pe it works if the regristration is free?
Microsoft seldom gives you something for nothing. Try it. But as a favor to the world, don't run an unregistered operating system.

Upvote 0

Shimokita

Apr 9, 2019
PA
✟17,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think Macs are good machines. There is something to be said for the hardware and software made by the same company. I find them to be the most reliable and easy for simple everyday tasks.

But yeah as others have said they are greatly overpriced, I do feel that the build quality is overrated for the price, and that the service is lacking. My experience with customer service has also been “buy a new one”.

For a laptop I still prefer a Mac. I simply refuse to use to use a Windows machine in my personal life because I feel that they are more prone to attack. I would probably run windows if it were not for the security issues, and if I could get it for free. Mostly because it does seem to have the most good software and the most overall functionality.

But I keep no files on the Mac except for what I need at the moment.

I have a Linux based desktop and keep almost everything on there, backed up in the cloud via Tresorit (encrypted before upload).

Also running Manjaro/KDE. Maybe Linux Mint would be the way to go if I wanted simplicity.

I have windows installed on the desktop on a different drive (got it for free from school) but I rarely have a need to load it up.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because Windows computers don't have remotely decent sound without external speakers, I would expect Apple laptops to work better for a linguistics class.

The problem with people getting their Macs repaired is only the company cna take them apart to do it.
Good headphones solve that problem. That's ideal anyway, because you're "closer" to the sound that way. But there are certainly Windows computers out there with decent speakers. When it comes to actually analyzing the data, which is probably 70 % of what linguistics is about, Windows had way more compatibility with the programs we needed. The developers of the software mainly created them for Windows computers, even when it came to add-ons for things like Word which enabled us to insert IPA symbols not normally used in writing.

I didn't do so much listening to sounds on the computer as live people, regardless.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Microsoft seldom gives you something for nothing. Try it. But as a favor to the world, don't run an unregistered operating system.
Well, Windows 10 was a free upgrade when it came out... It was for a limited time, but since I had the Pro version of Windows 7 installed, I was able to upgrade straight to the Pro version of Windows 10. It's really not a bad version, either. There's just a few things I miss from Windows 7. (Windows 8 was junk, as we all know!).

Now, no one else in my family upgraded because of their concern about potential bugs that hadn't been worked out. And I did have some, but the following updates mostly resolved those.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Of course Windows 10 is not free anymore now that all Microsoft computers have it.

The headphones idea looks good on paper, but I would plug them into external speakers anyway just so I can listen to whatever without interrputions.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course Windows 10 is not free anymore now that all Microsoft computers have it.

The headphones idea looks good on paper, but I would plug them into external speakers anyway just so I can listen to whatever without interrputions.
I'm not sure I quite understand. What kind of interruptions? Like glitches, or... How would plugging them into external speakers be better than directly into the computer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shivascrush

Apr 16, 2019
Brisbane
✟963.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I hate Apple. I always did and always will. People can talk all they want about their computers, cell phones, and tablets being better quality at what they do, but they can't do what MIcrosoft computers can. It is also a total lie that Macs are more user-friendly. They are very unfriendly. Mac fans say users only gain, not lose, features when they switch from Windows to Mac. That's baloney. I lost features I need and only gained one that helps me do more on it: louder sounds through the speakers.

I am complaining about this here because people without depression do not understand having a computer I hate makes my life worse. I know I should be thankful just to have ab computer, but nothing prevents me from thinking, "I wish I still had Wndows," or something like that if all I want to do is something that is impossible on my iMac.
Sell your Mac and then buy a windows PC, easy solution.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I quite understand. What kind of interruptions? Like glitches, or... How would plugging them into external speakers be better than directly into the computer?

I was referring to Mom coming into my room if she hears videos playing on the computer.

Sell your Mac and then buy a Windows PC, easy solution.

I specifically put this thread here to prevent EVERYONE from saying stuff like that because it is all about HER, not the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

shivascrush

Apr 16, 2019
Brisbane
✟963.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I was referring to Mom coming into my room if she hears videos playing on the computer.

I specifically put this thread here to prevent EVERYONE from saying stuff like that because it is all about HER, not the computer.
Oi.

Upvote 0

shivascrush

Apr 16, 2019
Brisbane
✟963.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
So is there anyone who truly understands the crap about having no choice because of my living situation? I can't live like this, always thinking life will be better when Mom is dead.
Oi, I understand what it's like to have a smother (I mean mother)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That is two words, but with me, yes, she wants to control everything. That includes telling me what time I need to take a shower. If I don't brush my hair the first time I leave my bedroom, she tells me to do it. If I am gettinhg ready to go somewhere. she tells me to put on my shoes and a women's garment. I am 42! This stuff and a lot more (such as having a Mac, obviously) makes me often look forward to her death.

Upvote 0