I enjoy the Halo series of games but I feel as if it's too violent for the Holy Spirit to stomach.

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I felt like I had to hide my Bible behind the computer screen while playing a single session of Halo because it's as if the Holy Spirit was playing the game with me and it felt really weird and uncomfortable and I quit after a level.

Is it my weird paranoia or the Holy Spirit telling me that violent video games (and video games in general) are an affront to our dedication to Christ?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may be the holy spirit. Just to be safe, I would pack up all your games and send them to me. I'll play them and let you know how they end.....This way, your spirit remains unaffected and you still get to find out the endings to these games. It's the least I could do to help a brother in need.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I may be the holy spirit. Just to be safe, I would pack up all your games and send them to me. I'll play them and let you know how they end.....This way, your spirit remains unaffected and you still get to find out the endings to these games. It's the least I could do to help a brother in need.

I'm very aware of how they end; I've played all of the games at least once save for Halo 5. Used to have no problem playing them but now I find them a distraction, somewhat, but I don't know if I'm punishing myself by eradicating all fun in order to have more time to focus on God.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm very aware of how they end; I've played all of the games at least once save for Halo 5. Used to have no problem playing them but now I find them a distraction, somewhat, but I don't know if I'm punishing myself by eradicating all fun in order to have more time to focus on God.
Interesting.....I dont think Halo has any replay value......Halo 5 is pretty similar to 4, so you wont be missing anything by sending that one to me.

We cannot tell you how to feel when you do thing....as we all have different levels of faith.

I would push the games to the side until you stop feeling what it is that you feel. I once stopped playing the systems for a full year.....and it didnt feel like I gave up too much at all....and I wasnt holier during that time period than I was before or after...... Just make sure when you play....it is because you desire to and not because you feel that you cant go a day without playing it.

• Useful
Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I felt like I had to hide my Bible behind the computer screen while playing a single session of Halo because it's as if the Holy Spirit was playing the game with me and it felt really weird and uncomfortable and I quit after a level.

Is it my weird paranoia or the Holy Spirit telling me that violent video games (and video games in general) are an affront to our dedication to Christ?
I understand how you are feeling. Today and yesterday I succumbed to boredom and played a videogame. I started playing Dishonored 2 and even though I'm taking the non-lethal routes something feels off. I don't even really have an answer for you but it seems if you're feeling something is extremely wrong... it might be best to not play them until you're sure?

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand how you are feeling. Today and yesterday I succumbed to boredom and played a videogame. I started playing Dishonored 2 and even though I'm taking the non-lethal routes something feels off. I don't even really have an answer for you but it seems if you're feeling something is extremely wrong... it might be best to not play them until you're sure?

Violent video games feel 10x worse than violent movies, because in violent movies, you're not the aggressor, but in violent video games, you're the one shooting others down into the ground.

I believe the Lord looks down on some kinds of fun, especially fun that's derived in virtual acts of violence and slander, e.g.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Violent video games feel 10x worse than violent movies, because in violent movies, you're not the aggressor, but in violent video games, you're the one shooting others down into the ground.

I believe the Lord looks down on some kinds of fun, especially fun that's derived in virtual acts of violence and slander, e.g.
For me it's the opposite. It's just my opinion but I find movies to be harder to watch. I haven't watched a single movie since I became a Christian unless I've just forgot about it. I have watched documentary style films though.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For me it's the opposite. It's just my opinion but I find movies to be harder to watch. I haven't watched a single movie since I became a Christian unless I've just forgot about it. I have watched documentary style films though.

I don't mind Avengers movies but detest movies like John Wick.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't mind Avengers movies but detest movies like John Wick.
I don't really like either if I'm honest, I think I saw John Wick a while ago though. For me I don't equate using force with violence, Biblically anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't really like either if I'm honest, I think I saw John Wick a while ago though. For me I don't equate using force with violence, Biblically anyway.

I feel like the Avengers has less killing than something like John Wick, and no direct visual gore.

Upvote 0

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

On the one hand, I think you would be wise to keep to your conscience.

On the other hand, the Bible is filled with battles and conquests and even slaughters. God told King Saul to kill the Amalekites, even the children and the animals (I Samuel 15); when Israel fell into idolatry while Moses was with God getting the law, God through Moses told the Levites that each one of them should kill his brother, friend, and neighbor (Exodus 32:25-29); the Spirit killed Ananias and Sapphire when they lied to Peter and the church concerning what they were giving (Acts 5:1-11).

I haven't played Halo, except maybe one time several years ago and that for only a few minutes, so I don't know if the types of action or violence in Halo aren't good. I remember watching some one play one of the Grand Theft Auto games, and since a lot of it is about stealing cars and running down pedestrians, that seems at least questionable.

So, listen to your conscience, but be careful of thinking that the Spirit is somehow playing a video game with you. Consider what the Bible says about this matter: the Bible speaks a lot against violent people, but it also speaks highly of people who were soldiers and warriors. I think most of the violence the Bible speaks against is violence such as theft and murder against innocent people.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you are feeling unsure about something, give it a break for a while. Spend the time in prayer that you would have spent playing Halo.

If you feel like you have to hide your Bible from some things, those things probably shouldn't be in your life.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We each have to deal with this. For me what I know but dont do all the time. Killing.. a game that has nothing what so ever to do with Christ. Same with movies. Where they KILL over and over.. or some kind of powers..where man are like gods. Again where Christ is never ever talked about. No one gets saved.. no one is lost aka sinners. And its OK for me?

When I had no TV.. or ever watched it all the time. Just the word ..and Him. I got this job.. I was living with a pastor and his family. I had to get a job for they needed money.. If I had shown you the building.. beautiful. You would have never known..ever what they did. My job was to move REALS (movies) around. But what was so strange was.. the moment I went in..till the moment I left..no lie.. I got so sick to my stomach. There was some guy that that REALLY wanted to by my friend.. I stayed away from him. One day.. part of a real was on the floor.. I looked at it.. it was inappropriate content. I went home..told the pastor.. we called him dad.. I said I cant work there any more.. not because of what I saw.. but.. I got so SICK every time I went in.

Believe this or not matters not..its truth. If I was today to walk in.. I would not get sick at all. We always every moment need to be praying.. always watching what we do think say watch. Everything for me HAS to be Him. I can watch anything play any game and NOW it does not bother me.. SOMETHING is wrong. This has been a warning for me and I take very seriously. I remember in a meeting one time.. we prayed in the spirit ..along time. The preacher said.. now unless you keep this up... well stayed focused on Christ.. His word.. praying and in the spirit. You will lose it.

After that meeting.. just a few days.. this bike rider that was on the side walk .. hit my car. Thought it was my fault called the police. Which (police) went right to him and.. he was so in the wrong. But.. as the cop was talking to me.. it just came out.. do you know Jesus? He said "you know.. I have been looking for a church" my friend that was with me.. said.. WOW that was so bold. And truth .. I dont have that right now. Saved..going to heaven..

I can do anything.. so many things in this world are to get my attention off Christ to ANYTHING else. And I LOVE posts like this. It makes me look at myself and speak truth.. and want to Change.

For me.. the sweet sweet Holy Spirit will never make me feel guilty or condemned. He is the perfect gentlemen. And can be so easily offended so to speak. I want ALL of Him.. but it has a price. And He will not force me in anyway to do think say watch hear.. it has to be my free choice. And as we keep it up.. HE gives more and more.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My general thought about video games is this:

(1) Games should have a clear distinction between good and evil. Games that blur those lines should be avoided.
(2) Games should not contain gratuitious violence against humans or animals.

So by those standards something like Halo (evil aliens) would be fine while something like GTA or certain FBS combat games would not.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums