• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

i am going to stop

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hopeful said:
taking my pills, i am going to stop seeing the psychologist and counselor, they don't help, the drugs even make me feel worse, i am going to stop and i am going to try and make it on my own with God, who is with me?
Before you stop your med's what are you takeing? I was on zoloft and tried stopping and it took a long time to come off of them and even then I almost died because of the changes it had made in my brain chemistry.......the same has been heard with Paxil.......consult your doctor before coming off of any med's like that.....

Upvote 0

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hopeful said:
i am on zoloft and abilify
Ok, you must consult your doctor before even attempting to come off of them.....Zoloft alone has very serious side effects when coming off of it, including dizziness, blackouts, drops in blood pressure, etc.....there are actually people sueing Pfizer (makers of zoloft) because there are some people that cannot come off of it and have to stay on the rest of their lives because the side effects of coming off of it are so severe.....Zoloft and Paxil should be banned from use.......

Reactions: Kelly
Upvote 0

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hopeful said:
ouch.....I was unclear about if you have had the side effects trying to come off of it or not? But either way, 200 mg is a high dose for zoloft considering 250mg is the max you can take of it.......I was able to drop down to 25mg without the side effects, but beyond that is when I started to get sick.....as long as my body had that 25mg everyday and eventually every 3-4 days I was ok, but coming completly off of it was the problem.....but if you decide to drop down off of it go slowly, but being you are on 2 med's please consult your doctor before you do anything because that other med may need adjusted differently or it could make you angry, aggressive, or even more depressed and even suicidal without your control......

Upvote 0

Hopeful

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟1,199.00
Faith
Protestant
i was supposed to get my prescriptions on wednesday but i dont have the money and i tried to see my counselor but she inst here today and i was going to tell her that i stopped.

i can deal with the side effects, i just want to stop cos its not helping and the other drugs make me sleep and i dont want to sleep cos i want to study which is why i got depressed in the first place,i want to study and pass my classes,, but anyway.. i am stopping for now, if things get worse then i will reconsider, but i really hate taking them and they don't even do anything

thanks doofus for your advice :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hopeful said:
oh i have had no side effects, well maybe i had but i didnt notice them, i don't know, i really don''t know anything but nothing has changed
If you start having side effects start taking the zoloft again, but only take like a 50mg dose and wien yourself away from it.....I was handling it ok until the point that it put me in the hospital because the side effects became so severe....I lapsed in and out of conciousness and at one point they thought I was in a coma.....

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hopeful, I strongly urge you to contact your doctor first. There are some medications that you have to be weaned from. I don't know if these are among them or not, but it would be better to be on the safe side and check it out before abruptly stopping a med.
Praying for you. :hug: :prayer:

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
use wisdom, and talk to God about it.
it isnt neccesarily Gods will for you just stop it all at once, that is if you could die from it or something.
but i know of people who were told they could die etc if they stopped, and they did it anyway becuase they beleived it was Gods will for them to do so, and they are alive and well today and have never felt better.

id just say
if God says doit, then you doit and im for sure with you.
if God says dont, then dont. God understands how your body works and he doesnt always want you do things in the name of faith that will cause it great harm nonetheless.
id say pray about it alot, and if you get this overwhelming sense that somethings wrong and you shouldnt, then dont do it this way.

but even if God says for you do it, that doesnt mean you stop and thats it.
you need to continue to pray for a good amount of time that God would strengthen you, keep you and preserve you, becuase even if it is Gods will, you have to pray for it, before it will come into your life.

i have doctors tell me things that i would simply HAVE TO DO, PERIOD. and i really just didnt want to have it done, couldnt afford it, etc.
and prayed about it, spoke word of God over it, believed that God would make a diffrent way, and he did, and never went back to those doctors and the problems are gone.

for example.
my wisdom teeth were going to have to be removed
the dentist said
"without a doubt, were going to have to remove them, you can choose to wait and not remove them for now, but you will be back eventually to get them removed"
but i really just didnt want to go through it all, and i sought the Lord about it did what he said to do. and to make a long story short i think its been a full year and i never had anything done to my mouth and i am great.

Reactions: Hopeful
Upvote 0

Hopeful

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟1,199.00
Faith
Protestant
Thanks you guys, i think its been about 2 weeks since i stopped and i am feeling absolutely fine, in fact nothing is going on well in my life but for the first time in almost 5 years, i feel like i am capable of handling it, do you know what that feels like? great! i don't cry again, i havent S.I. in two weeks and i havent felt the urge too, i don't go to dispression sites anymore (hence my absence here) cos i think they only bring about depressive thoughts, but I am fine and for the first time in my life , i feel i am in control of my life and i am actually happy, not just faking it but actually happy. i did have a breakdown on sunday but then i listened to joel (the precher guy?) and he said we are in control of our thoughts, if we think happy thoughts, then happy things will happen, if we think depressive thoughts then of course we will be depressed. thinking happy thoughts isnt that hard especially with God, i feel like i can do this, i can't explain it to you but i feels nice to be able to "feel" again. God bless :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a very good doctor. When I started to go see him he said that a med should make a remarkable difference quickly and that if I have any side effects, it's not the one for me. He hit my two meds right on the head the first time, then we straightened out the dosage. If your meds aren't working, then you're on the wrong ones, or the issue isn't physiological.

But getting off of them will save some money. If I ever stop taking Paxil I'm going to have to wean myself off of it. Bad headaches when I forget it.

So remember, you have to find the right medication, and then find the right dosage of the right medication.

As far as you stopping them, Rock On. Tell us how you're doing.

Upvote 0