The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That is of course your belief, but each tub must sit on its own bottom they say. We walk by faith and not by sight, when scripture says Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness, I will rest in that and allow others to go with their views. I believe that is what Hammster would say too.

In Jewish idiomatic language, what does it mean Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness?

What the author is conveying, is not deduced from the implied meaning of that word/term, that is righteousness.

Idiom

a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words
(e.g. over the moon, see the light )

Now the author is not describing the essential attributes of Abraham's character/person, rather he is drawing upon a Jewish Idiomatic language to imply that Abraham did the right thing by following by faith God's instructions.

So the term righteousness is not being applied to Abraham as such. The author clearly states that Abraham's actions were counted or at least acknowledged as being correct.

So if you want to apply someone doing the right thing in any given time in their life, as to that person themselves being righteous, I would question that, because even wicked people, at some time in their lives have done what was the right thing to do.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Then we have no hope.
No. All we have to do is repent of our sin. Admittedly, I need the Lord's help to do that, but I'd say I've made considerable progress.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Gal 3:11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith. Does this not clearly say by faith the righteous will live? In fact this same wording is used 3 times in the Old and New testament.

Please go back to the context and language and discern that the implied meaning of the future verb "WILL LIVE" is implying righteousness is a WORK IN PROGRESS, that is a verb in progressive action of being made righteous, which is part and parcel of a life long sanctification. The end goal is to be righteous, but this is not realised until the Lord gives the saved their crown of righteousness after they die and are raised in their incorruptible state.

No one can claim that they have arrived at that goal, which is righteousness, until they finish their race and are judged by the righteous Judge to be worthy of the crown of righteousness.

What is Gal 3:11 context?
that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

It is a work in progress, future tense promise, that is only arbitrated by who?

16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Gal 5:16)

Gal 5:6 connects with....Romans 8:10-11

10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

So who is righteousness and who is leading us to righteousness, in order to realise the end goal, only after we are raised by the Holy Spirit of God?

Is it you or I whilst we live in our earthly dirt bodies, or is it God?

God my friend, God

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Your illustration wasn't scripture. It was a story of a judge.

The teaching is what counts. Were we taught to test content or labels and titles. Jesus used parables using example labels and titles as to highlight the content. The focus is content and what message is being conveyed and taught in the parables.

The rich man and Lazarus or the workers of the vineyard are labels and titles, but are not the focus of the lesson.

Content friend content!

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Jewish idiomatic language, what does it mean Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness?

What the author is conveying, is not deduced from the implied meaning of that word/term, that is righteousness.

Idiom

a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words
(e.g. over the moon, see the light )

Now the author is not describing the essential attributes of Abraham's character/person, rather he is drawing upon a Jewish Idiomatic language to imply that Abraham did the right thing by following by faith God's instructions.

So the term righteousness is not being applied to Abraham as such. The author clearly states that Abraham's actions were counted or at least acknowledged as being correct.

So if you want to apply someone doing the right thing in any given time in their life, as to that person themselves being righteous, I would question that, because even wicked people, at some time in their lives have done what was the right thing to do.
That may be what an idiom is but that is surely not what that verse means in its context. The term righteousness does imply being made righteous by faith. Why do you think Abraham was praised for his faith in Hebrews 11 and why is was he blessed by God in that his descendants are called the children of faith. And the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to say it again in Gal 3:4-6 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please go back to the context and language and discern that the implied meaning of the future verb "WILL LIVE" is implying righteousness is a WORK IN PROGRESS, that is a verb in progressive action of being made righteous, which is part and parcel of a life long sanctification. The end goal is to be righteous, but this is not realised until the Lord gives the saved their crown of righteousness after they die and are raised in their incorruptible state.

No one can claim that they have arrived at that goal, which is righteousness, until they finish their race and are judged by the righteous Judge to be worthy of the crown of righteousness.

What is Gal 3:11 context?
that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

It is a work in progress, future tense promise, that is only arbitrated by who?

16This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Gal 5:16)

Gal 5:6 connects with....Romans 8:10-11

10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

So who is righteousness and who is leading us to righteousness, in order to realise the end goal, only after we are raised by the Holy Spirit of God?

Is it you or I whilst we live in our earthly dirt bodies, or is it God?

God my friend, God

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God. Looking at that word justified in the Strong' concordance it say#1344 to render just or innocent: free , justify(ier), be righteous.
As far as is God speaking there, is not all scripture inspired by God?

A person can be cleared from any wrong doing, but it does not mean that they haven't done something wrong.

A person can be counted as righteous because of another party's righteousness imputed onto their behalf, but it does not imply the person is righteous.

To be counted as righteous is not a claim to the essential attributes of a saved person, rather it is an act of God, God's righteousness is being administered by Grace, which diminishes our personal shortcomings from the decision of being counted as righteous by our earthly works.

In essence, when we are in Christ Jesus, our acknowledged unrighteousness, which is evidenced in life, on a daily basis, is not being taken into evidence, when God the Father looks upon us.

That is why the false accuser Satan is shunned and shutup, because his evidence against our unrigtheous essential personal attributes becomes inadmissible before God the Father. In other words Satan cannot use the unrighteousness of the saved against them and on the day of judgement after the saved die, their lifelong unrighteousness that were being purged, no longer are used into evidence and the evidence of faith is to the degree of sanctification or completion of that saved person, from a sinner to a saint.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That may be what an idiom is but that is surely not what that verse means in its context. The term righteousness does imply being made righteous by faith. Why do you think Abraham was praised for his faith in Hebrews 11 and why is was he blessed by God in that his descendants are called the children of faith. And the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to say it again in Gal 3:4-6 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
Abraham had the righteousness that came by faith, God's righteousness in him, and not his own, and not that of law either, so as to be judged by law...

By faith he had it, by grace was given to him, God's righteousness in him... NOT his own... He also had faith that God was righteous, even when asked to sacrifice his only begotten son and the son of promise, one of God's promises to him...

He obeyed and was made perfect in the covenant of grace, by faith, and not law, (but maybe completed the law) (another discussion)... Anyhow...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Therefore I sincerely believe, with scriptural backing, that no one can claim to be righteous like Jesus.
We must say to, well, not exactly...?

When they ask us if we are or others or people can be... Not exactly, but it's complicated... We are made such, but are not such. We are, but we are not, in and of ourselves that is, but God works through us... (ect, ect)... Complicated...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is indeed as you say, future tense of the phrase , the just shall live by faith, but that is talking about the act of faith in their living is future not that their righteousness is future. Born again believers are righteous from their new birth as they ever will be in their position, but in their practice it is progressive indeed. If the goal of imputed righteousness is not now received the person is lost. Too much of scripture declares this fact. The just cannot live by faith except they be already justified and made righteous by faith just as daddy Abraham the father of the faithful.
You do state that the one who is Righteous is Christ, but Him in me makes me as righteous as He because He gave me His righteousness. As far as the Crown of Righteousness many believe as I that the Crown of Righteousness means that in heaven believers will have complete righteousness in all our actions forever and ever. Here it is progressive but that does not nullify the fact that Jesus who knew no sin became sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him, 2Cor5:21

• Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is indeed as you say, future tense of the phrase , the just shall live by faith, but that is talking about the act of faith in their living is future not that their righteousness is future. Born again believers are righteous from their new birth as they ever will be in their position, but in their practice it is progressive indeed. If the goal of imputed righteousness is not now received the person is lost. Too much of scripture declares this fact. The just cannot live by faith except they be already justified and made righteous by faith just as daddy Abraham the father of the faithful.
You do state that the one who is Righteous is Christ, but Him in me makes me as righteous as He because He gave me His righteousness. As far as the Crown of Righteousness many believe as I that the Crown of Righteousness means that in heaven believers will have complete righteousness in all our actions forever and ever. Here it is progressive but that does not nullify the fact that Jesus who knew no sin became sin that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him, 2Cor5:21
Jesus who knew no sin became sin (doing away with sin) (sealing the fate of sin) that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him, (2 Corinthians 5:21)...

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person can be cleared from any wrong doing, but it does not mean that they haven't done something wrong.

A person can be counted as righteous because of another party's righteousness imputed onto their behalf, but it does not imply the person is righteous.

To be counted as righteous is not a claim to the essential attributes of a saved person, rather it is an act of God, God's righteousness is being administered by Grace, which diminishes our personal shortcomings from the decision of being counted as righteous by our earthly works.

In essence, when we are in Christ Jesus, our acknowledged unrighteousness, which is evidenced in life, on a daily basis, is not being taken into evidence, when God the Father looks upon us.

That is why the false accuser Satan is shunned and shutup, because his evidence against our unrigtheous essential personal attributes becomes inadmissible before God the Father. In other words Satan cannot use the unrighteousness of the saved against them and on the day of judgement after the saved die, their lifelong unrighteousness that were being purged, no longer are used into evidence and the evidence of faith is to the degree of sanctification or completion of that saved person, from a sinner to a saint.
Romans 4:1-8 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? 2For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3For what does the Scripture say? “ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.” 4Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. 5But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, 6just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works: 7“BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN,AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED.8“BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT.”

And concerning what you said above I do believe what you say there to be true. But---not on our other posts. Have a great night.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Credited and or counted to their account as the right thing to do, does not in any shape or form infer that righteousness is the essential attribute of that individual. They simply did the right thing, that is all it is saying.

The OP question is....

A saved person says, "I am as righteous as Jesus."

Abraham, the prophets, the apostles would never make this claim.

Neither is God saying that the individual is rigtheous, because that would negate the requirement of the cross of salvation.

20Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins. (Ecc 7:20)

Now the author doesn't call Abraham righteous, does he?

So, it seems that doing what is right or righteous, does not imply a person is righteous, does it?

Where I want to take this is by asking the question to the author of Ecclesiastics as follows....

True or Blasphemy?

What will he say?

I then ask you to give a rebuttal to my arguments.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Truth or blasphemy?

If by this the person means, "I have the alien righteousness of Christ as a gift, apart from myself, and thus I cannot boast in myself or my works, but only in Christ and His death and resurrection." then I would say it is truth.

If by this the person means, "I am, by my own works and power and efforts as righteous as the eternal Son of God Himself." The person has spoken blasphemy.

There is no righteousness in ourselves, there is only righteousness in Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Correct! In my spirit i am just as righteous Jesus is.

Wrong. In Christ alone, by grace, by God's Spirit in you you are righteous because it is Christ's righteousness, not your own. In your spirit you are a filthy, wretched sinner without any righteousness whatsoever.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This was the verse i had in mind when i stated that. Ephesians 4:24.

The new man is what we have in Christ, by the power of the Holy Spirit alive in us; the new man is what has been born of God in your baptism.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Credited and or counted to their account as the right thing to do, does not in any shape or form infer that righteousness is the essential attribute of that individual. They simply did the right thing, that is all it is saying.

The OP question is....

Abraham, the prophets, the apostles would never make this claim.

Neither is God saying that the individual is rigtheous, because that would negate the requirement of the cross of salvation.

20Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins. (Ecc 7:20)

Now the author doesn't call Abraham righteous, does he?

So, it seems that doing what is right or righteous, does not imply a person is righteous, does it?

Where I want to take this is by asking the question to the author of Ecclesiastics as follows....

True or Blasphemy?

What will he say?

I then ask you to give a rebuttal to my arguments.
Put that way, it would not be right, proper, and may even be disrespectful, I think...

You want them to see and be exposed to Christ in you, but not you in you...?

What is Christ's righteousness or being like Christ though if it not serving and service and sacrifice...?

A person who has God's righteousness in them, does not act the typical way we would think a righteous person would, like i said earlier, that term or the meaning of that word has been warped and twisted over the years like the word "religion" has...

So, you really have to put some thought as to what is righteous and what is righteousness and look to Jesus to find out and get it...

God Bless!

• Informative
Reactions: The Times
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.