SpeakerEnder

Jul 26, 2004
Mesa, AZ
✟239.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
People feel threatened when they realize that there is NO excuses, we all can change through God's grace and mercy and be delivered from any stronghold that Satan has us under!
I agree, though I do not believe it is always God's Will for everyone to make a full recovery from homosexuality. Afterall, Paul himself could not get rid of the "thorn" he carried with him. Sometimes God has something for us to learn that we may just not be getting.

I guess the question is this are you and other ex-homosexuals considering yourself hetrosexual because you are having hetrosexual sex or is it because of that and, and the and is very important in the consideration, you are enjoying an emotionally healthy full spectrum relationship with a person of the opposite sex.
So are you saying that a homosexual is someone who has same sex attractions? This is an absurd claim. Our entire law system, as well as the one of the Bible, relies on behaviors and actions, not desires. A rapist is someone who rapes another person. A child molestor, is someone who molests children. Since when did the world start deciding that "who you are" is based on what you "feel?" If this were the case, I would be a thief, murderer, and many other things. When I was depressed before I had a relationship with God, I desired to do many of these things. Sure, I didn't dwell on killing someone, but neither do I now dwell on homosexual desires.

Tell me, if "who you are" depended on what you felt like doing, then what would you be guilty of?

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
SpeakerEnder said:
...Tell me, if "who you are" depended on what you felt like doing, then what would you be guilty of?

Isn't this the whole point of repentence? I am no longer a foul-mouthed, promiscuous, alcoholic, adulterous sinner. I am a new creation! And I thank God daily and praise him for the work done in me. :clap:

I also believe that, as you said about Paul, some of us are left with "thorns" which may be of flesh or spirit, but are "test" just the same to keep us strong and on our toes! :bow:

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SpeakerEnder said:
So are you saying that a homosexual is someone who has same sex attractions?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. I am then forced to ask you, are you saying that people who are celibate are asexual I don't think so. In fact I know they aren't. For the majority, I am absolutley positive they are celibate hetrosexuals. People whose sexual desires if fufilled would be fufilled with the opposite sex. It is not the sex act that creates a person's sexual orientation.[/quote]

This is an absurd claim. Our entire law system, as well as the one of the Bible, relies on behaviors and actions, not desires. A rapist is someone who rapes another person. A child molestor, is someone who molests children.

No it isn't and yes the law must react to actions, you can't be arrested for thinking about committing a crime. Like in the movie with Tom Cruise which the name escapes.

The Bible however, you are wrong on that point. Jesus said if you have lusted after a woman in your heart you have committed adultery. He also said he who believes (faith, desire) in me will have eternal life.

Tell me, if "who you are" depended on what you felt like doing, then what would you be guilty of?

Who I am is in direct correlation to my faith, how I feel, what I think, my desires and self-esteem.

Yes I am guilty of some things (sin) for some of my thoughts and when I realize this I ask God to forgive and seek repentance.

The fallacy is trying to compare criminal actions to emotional desires. But on a note with criminal actions the charge of conspiracy is often leveled (i.e. terrorists) before any action is committed. So it also exists in the criminal world.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
SpeakerEnder said:
Interesting how us ex-homosexuals get attacked far more then homosexuals do.
That's flat out ridiculous and not true in any way.

I don't see people here advocating that ex-homosexuals be executed, but I do see people say that here about homosexuals. I don't see people here calling ex-homosexuals disgusting names, but I do see people say those things here on a regular basis about homosexuals. I don't see people here advocating that ex-homosexuals have their civil rights abridged for no reason, but I do see people say that here on a regular basis about homosexuals.

Supposed ex-homosexual institutions and therapies get criticized because they have no scientific basis, are often harmful, and are akin to brainwashing. Time and again, scientific studies of such therapies never reveal a success rate greater than or equal to 1% and often the number is 0%.

So are you saying that a homosexual is someone who has same sex attractions? This is an absurd claim.
This is exactly why ex-homosexual therapies are criticized. It's not a ridiculous claim. They try to tell people that it is and they end up defining an ex-homosexual as a person who either abstains from having homosexual sex even if they still are attracted to the same sex or a person who has heterosexual sex but usually or always uses fantasies about the same sex to do that. That's how they pad their "success" rates in their own self-evaluations. Of course that doesn't make a person an ex-homosexual and it doesn't illustrate any sort of change at all. It only illustrates that the "therapy" is an attempt at repression. This is why it lacks any credibility at all.

Our entire law system, as well as the one of the Bible, relies on behaviors and actions, not desires.
The Bible does rely on desires such as lust. Our law system does rely on actions, but occasionally the motivation behind the action in some cases such as premeditation. Obviously stealing something is different than merely considering it. But having a homosexual orientation is true whether one acts on it or not. They are different concepts. A person who doesn't have sex but is attracted to the same sex anyway is still a homosexual. A person who tries to have sex with the opposite sex despite having an attraction to the same sex is still a homosexual or bisexual.

Upvote 0
Main Entry: 1ho·mo·sex·u·al
Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'seksh-(&-)w&l, -'sek-sh&l
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward individuals of one's own sex —compare HETEROSEXUAL 1a
2 : of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between individuals of the same sex —compare HETEROSEXUAL 1b —ho·mo·sex·u·al·ly /-E/ adverb

Sounds more like claiming a person that has same sex attractions isnt a homosexual is the absurd approach .

Upvote 0
N

Nexus`

your testimony is a great witness as well as an argument in some topics.

It's a terrible arguement in a debate. It's nothing more than personal testimony. Not evidence. Not proof. Not facts. I don't know, and have no way of varifying whether or not he's actually telling the truth, or giving us a load in order to try and discredit homosexuality. I don't even know, and have no way of positively verifying if he was ever even gay.

So his personal testimony means squat in a debate.

So are you saying that a homosexual is someone who has same sex attractions?

Yes. Homosexuality and heterosexuality are sexual oreintations. They are determined by who you are sexually attracked to.

This is an absurd claim. Our entire law system, as well as the one of the Bible, relies on behaviors and actions, not desires. A rapist is someone who rapes another person. A child molestor, is someone who molests children. Since when did the world start deciding that "who you are" is based on what you "feel?"

Jesus once said that looking at another women with lust (desiring) is the same as adultery. Perhaps you should read the Bible.

If this were the case, I would be a thief, murderer, and many other things. When I was depressed before I had a relationship with God, I desired to do many of these things. Sure, I didn't dwell on killing someone, but neither do I now dwell on homosexual desires.

Well, how do we know you're not. :p

Murder by definition requires that you kill someone to be a murderer. If you have never killed anyone, you can not be a murderer. Same with theivery.

I'ld be on death row. Put it that way. But the law or our system is dependent on actions. Every crime in our country is an action, not a desire.

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nexus` said:
It's a terrible arguement in a debate. It's nothing more than personal testimony. Not evidence. Not proof. Not facts. I don't know, and have no way of varifying whether or not he's actually telling the truth, or giving us a load in order to try and discredit homosexuality. I don't even know, and have no way of positively verifying if he was ever even gay.

:| i'm sure that a person would know what sex he is attracted to. besides, I said it's a good argument, not substantial evidence. A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an argument.

strength of conviction :)
Murder by definition requires that you kill someone to be a murderer. If you have never killed anyone, you can not be a murderer. Same with theivery.
I doubt I know anyone who hasn't ever taken something that didn't belong to them. and in God's sight, wanting wrong is sin. the tenth commandment is not to covet. think about it. before you steal, you want. before you commit adultery, you want. before you kill, you want (to take that person's life). God requires truth in the inward parts is the point.

I'ld be on death row. Put it that way. But the law or our system is dependent on actions. Every crime in our country is an action, not a desire.
not necessarily. Is there not a law againt conspiracy to kill the president? conspiracy is not an action; it is a plan. it is also against the law. can the government uphold this law? not really, because the government can't see men's hearts to see whether or not there was a conspiracy unless a person involved confesses or there is written evidence because otherwise the government doesn't know. God knows everyone's hearts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
kdet said:
People feel threatened when they realize that there is NO excuses, we all can change through God's grace and mercy and be delivered from any stronghold that Satan has us under!

I would encourage compassion, rather than telling someone there are 'no excuses'. Personally, I praise success at someone finding happiness, but see no reason to treat someone as anything less because they can't shed their homosexual attractions.

I think homosexuality and its causes are more diverse and complicated than we might realize.

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
butxifxnot said:
:| i'm sure that a person would know what sex he is attracted to. besides, I said it's a good argument, not substantial evidence. A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an argument.

There is always an issue of denial. There are many people who believed they were straight, despite same-sex attractions. Due to growing up in a society that scorns homosexuality, it is hard for a lot of people to admit to it.

At the same time, there are many people who are so confused and enjoy homosexual sex so much that they think they are gay, when they still have heterosexual attractions.

Without a doubt, there are people that 'turn' homosexual because of child abuse, molestation, trauma, et cetera. These rare cases do show that psychological treatment can help them overcome the use of homosexuality to deal with the past and allow their natural, heterosexual feelings to emerge. A woman that was traumatized as a girl might now feel safe to pursue relationships with men, that might have used homosexuality as a way of protecting herself.

That's why I think the causes of homosexuality might be varied. Certainly, not all homosexuals were abused as children. I think we need to address the issue without a 'one size fits all' solution, as one person's success might be from their own unique experiences.

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
stray bullet said:
There is always an issue of denial. There are many people who believed they were straight, despite same-sex attractions. Due to growing up in a society that scorns homosexuality, it is hard for a lot of people to admit to it.
true enough. but then you have some areas where gays are flaunted, it seems. it is becoming less looked down on and easier for people to openly declare themselves gay.

At the same time, there are many people who are so confused and enjoy homosexual sex so much that they think they are gay, when they still have heterosexual attractions.
...okay. well, that in itself is sin already, i believe...
Without a doubt, there are people that 'turn' homosexual because of child abuse, molestation, trauma, et cetera. These rare cases do show that psychological treatment can help them overcome the use of homosexuality to deal with the past and allow their natural, heterosexual feelings to emerge. A woman that was traumatized as a girl might now feel safe to pursue relationships with men, that might have used homosexuality as a way of protecting herself.
I see your meaning.
That's why I think the causes of homosexuality might be varied. Certainly, not all homosexuals were abused as children. I think we need to address the issue without a 'one size fits all' solution, as one person's success might be from their own unique experiences.
:) i agree. to a point. the point being everyone is a sinner anyway and needs to repent and be washed clean through Jesus' sacrifice.

Upvote 0

SpeakerEnder

Jul 26, 2004
Mesa, AZ
✟239.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. I am then forced to ask you, are you saying that people who are celibate are asexual I don't think so. In fact I know they aren't. For the majority, I am absolutley positive they are celibate hetrosexuals. People whose sexual desires if fufilled would be fufilled with the opposite sex. It is not the sex act that creates a person's sexual orientation.
Pardon, but I need to interject something here that I was not quite clear on. I am not arguing what the definition of homosexuality is. I am arguing that the definition should not be what it is. Because, you will note, since the definition of homosexuality is based on desire, and not action, then there is no other term to use that describes someone who engages in homosexual sex. I was simply pointing out that this is contradictory to most of our language, that I can think of. It seems to me, that for most behaviors, or actions, we have words that describe the people who engage in them. Why isn't this so with homosexuality?

No it isn't and yes the law must react to actions, you can't be arrested for thinking about committing a crime. Like in the movie with Tom Cruise which the name escapes.

The Bible however, you are wrong on that point. Jesus said if you have lusted after a woman in your heart you have committed adultery. He also said he who believes (faith, desire) in me will have eternal life
Forgive me. I didn't specify that I was referring to the OT again. Sorry, I typed that up at an odd hour of the day for me. I wasn't quite awake.

That's flat out ridiculous and not true in any way.
Of course it is true. Not only are we attacked by the gay activists, but we are also heavily attacked by the gay Christians out there whom our very testimony offends. On top of that, when it comes to the extremist militant anti-gay Christians, they continue to attack us due to their own perverse interpretation of scripture. They try and say that Romans tells us that God has given us over to our passions, and that there is nothing that we can do. This is false.

I don't see people here advocating that ex-homosexuals be executed, but I do see people say that here about homosexuals. I don't see people here calling ex-homosexuals disgusting names, but I do see people say those things here on a regular basis about homosexuals.
That is because this is not a gay-advocating message board. Why don't you try and find forums that are affiliated with the Metropolitan Community Church, then tell me what you see. Heck, that is one of the reasons I left the gay-advocating church I used to attend. They were not receptive at the effects that counciling had on me.

Oh, and by the way, I DO see people here who claim that everything I believe, and have lived through, is me lying to myself, and "repressing" myself. I happen to take offence to that. That is like me saying that homosexuals don't really have a same-gender attraction.

Supposed ex-homosexual institutions and therapies get criticized because they have no scientific basis, are often harmful, and are akin to brainwashing.
You have no knowledge of what organizations like NARTH and Exodus do. You rely on biased, outdated articles that say that they use "drug therapy" and shock therapy to get the desired results. This is a crock of lies. Do some real research. Go ask some real psychologists how they treat people for sexual deviancies. Seriously, your deliberate bias is really becoming annoying. You don't see me making the assertion that all homosexuals are promiscouos just because some outdated study says so. Why do you do the same to me?

Time and again, scientific studies of such therapies never reveal a success rate greater than or equal to 1% and often the number is 0%.
Actually, time and again, studies show that the success rate is about 30-50%. Please use support with your arguments.

http://www.newdirection.ca/a_change.htm

That's how they pad their "success" rates in their own self-evaluations. Of course that doesn't make a person an ex-homosexual and it doesn't illustrate any sort of change at all. It only illustrates that the "therapy" is an attempt at repression. This is why it lacks any credibility at all.
Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Who said anything about a debate? I was talking about witnessing to others. When witnessing, no one can deny, or disprove your testimony. Like the blind man when asked if Jesus was God, he replied, "I once was blind, now I see." That is all that matters.

Well, how do we know you're not. :p

That was my point...

Remind me never to post something in the morning without my first cup of joe...

Upvote 0
M

Matt Never Existed

kdet said:
No excuses? For what, accepting how God made me? (Be it over time through events, or in the womb). There's no need for an excuse for that. Looks like we agree here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
SpeakerEnder said:
Of course it is true. Not only are we attacked by the gay activists, but we are also heavily attacked by the gay Christians out there whom our very testimony offends. On top of that, when it comes to the extremist militant anti-gay Christians, they continue to attack us due to their own perverse interpretation of scripture. They try and say that Romans tells us that God has given us over to our passions, and that there is nothing that we can do. This is false.
No, it's not true. No one is advocating that ex-homosexuals be killed, have their rights taken away, or are called names such as "pervert," "deviant," or "degenerate." You are comparing apples and oranges.

Oh, and by the way, I DO see people here who claim that everything I believe, and have lived through, is me lying to myself, and "repressing" myself. I happen to take offence to that. That is like me saying that homosexuals don't really have a same-gender attraction.
It's what all scientific evidence indicates. Perhaps you are an anomaly among a fraction of one percent of all homosexuals. Then again, perhaps not.

You have no knowledge of what organizations like NARTH and Exodus do.
Sure I do. So does every single medical and behavioral science institution in the United States. That's why they condemn such organizations for being unethical, harmful, and ineffective. No independent study has validated their claims. Never mind the fact that the founders of Exodus admitted that they "cured" no one and were gay themselves. Never mind the UK branch of Exodus that just last month admitted that their "ministry" was a complete sham.

You rely on biased, outdated articles that say that they use "drug therapy" and shock therapy to get the desired results. This is a crock of lies. Do some real research.
Using science to determine my opinions rather than propaganda is not reliance on "biased, outdated articles." You are making irrational assumptions not grounded in reality.

Go ask some real psychologists how they treat people for sexual deviancies.
Since real psychologists don't treat homosexuality as a sexual deviance, you have no valid point.

Seriously, your deliberate bias is really becoming annoying.
My bias is toward science, not propaganda and brainwashing.

You don't see me making the assertion that all homosexuals are promiscouos just because some outdated study says so. Why do you do the same to me?
I don't do the same.

Actually, time and again, studies show that the success rate is about 30-50%. Please use support with your arguments.

http://www.newdirection.ca/a_change.htm
As I said before, you can't trust such organizations for their own self evaluations because they define the term ex-homosexual unfairly--as someone who still has sexual desires for the same sex but is celibate or has sex with the opposite sex while having fantasies for the same sex. That's not a conversion of sexual orientation. That is repression. That's a fact.

Independent studies of NARTH revealed a 0.04% rate of change of sexual orientation as of the year 2000. Independent study of Exodus revealed 0.4% in 1978 and have been extremely guarded with respect to their statistics since then so as not to allow independent evaluations of their claims (i.e., scientific evaluations). An independent study of ex-gays in general revealed a 0% success rate (Schroder and Shidlo, 1997-). Another independent study of ex-gay ministries advertised as part of the GayChange webring indicated a 0% success rate. There simply is not any scientific evidence that any reparative therapy is effective. In fact, they show the exact opposite--that they are ineffective and actually harmful.

Reactions: Why?
Upvote 0

Volos

Jun 25, 2003
Michign
✟4,244.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
SpeakerEnder said:

Pardon, but I need to interject something here that I was not quite clear on. I am not arguing what the definition of homosexuality is. I am arguing that the definition should not be what it is. Because, you will note, since the definition of homosexuality is based on desire, and not action, then there is no other term to use that describes someone who engages in homosexual sex.
as mhatten pointed out sexual orientation is not determined by any particular action. Individuals who are celibate are still heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual. Ones sexual orientation is not ever defiend by an action, to suggest otherwise its to state that individuals who have never engaged in sexual activity with another person are not any orientation at all.

I was simply pointing out that this is contradictory to most of our language, that I can think of. It seems to me, that for most behaviors, or actions, we have words that describe the people who engage in them. Why isn't this so with homosexuality?
because sexual orientation is not a behavior.

Of course it is true. Not only are we attacked by the gay activists, but we are also heavily attacked by the gay Christians out there whom our very testimony offends.
if only there were consistent testamony

On top of that, when it comes to the extremist militant anti-gay Christians, they continue to attack us due to their own perverse interpretation of scripture.
poor baby.

Welcome to my world

They try and say that Romans tells us that God has given us over to our passions, and that there is nothing that we can do. This is false.
no not false…just different from what you choose to believe.

You have no knowledge of what organizations like NARTH and Exodus do.
well actually I do.

You rely on biased, outdated articles that say that they use "drug therapy" and shock therapy to get the desired results. This is a crock of lies.
whiel NARTH does not use the above torture methods to achieve results there are organizations that drug and physically abuse individuals, largely teenagers who cannot refuse their “love”.

It is interesting to note that recently Exodus publicly admitted that they think it is impossible to alter anyone’s sexual orientation.

Do some real research.
I have and I have found no convincing evidence supporting what you claim.

What is out there are studies showing that such changes are either impossible or actively damaging to the people subjected to them.

Go ask some real psychologists how they treat people for sexual deviancies.
the first step is to be honest in the evaluation of methods used. No ethical psychologist, counselor, therapist psychiatrist social worker or the like would ever mislead anyone seeking help about the nature of their issues or the potential results.

Quite selectively, those individuals who promote that they can effect a change in sexual orientation use antiquated beliefs and theories about homosexuality and uses outdated psychological views. Religious groups continue to turn out “ex-gays” and supporting their “extreme makeovers.” After their “sexual conversion,” I can just imagine these men and woman looking in a mirror and screaming, “I never dreamed I could look so . . . straight!!!”

In many of these behavior-change techniques, "success" has been defined as suppression of homoerotic response or mere display of physiological ability to engage in heterosexual intercourse. Neither outcome is the same as adopting the complex set of attractions and feelings that constitute sexual orientation.

Many interventions aimed at changing sexual orientation have succeeded only in reducing or eliminating homosexual behavior rather than in creating or increasing heterosexual attractions. They have, in effect, deprived individuals of their capacity for sexual response to others

The American Psychiatric Association's official web site notes that: "There is no published scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of 'reparative therapy' as a treatment to change one's sexual orientation.... There are a few reports in the literature of efforts to use psychotherapeutic and counseling techniques to treat persons troubled by their homosexuality who desire to become heterosexual; however, results have not been conclusive, nor have they been replicated. There is no evidence that any treatment can change a homosexual person's deep seated sexual feelings for others of the same sex. Clinical experience suggests that any person who seeks conversion therapy may be doing so because of social bias that has resulted in internalized homophobia, and that gay men and lesbians who have accepted their sexual orientation positively are better adjusted than those who have not done so."

Michael Schroeder Ariel Shidlo, “Ethical Issues in Sexual Orientation Conversion Therapies: An Empirical Study of Consumers” Sexual Conversion Therapy: Ethical, Clinical and Research Perspectives. Came up with a success rate of 0%

An extensive critique of the methodologies and the false promises of those who claim to be able to change another persons sexual orientation can be found at:

http://www.iglss.org/media/files/Angles_41.pdf

Reactions: Why?
Upvote 0

SpeakerEnder

Jul 26, 2004
Mesa, AZ
✟239.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
No excuses? For what, accepting how God made me?
False assumption. Please support your claim that God made you gay.

No, it's not true. No one is advocating that ex-homosexuals be killed, have their rights taken away, or are called names such as "pervert," "deviant," or "degenerate." You are comparing apples and oranges.
Really? You go to Pride parade as an ex-homosexual, and then we'll see if what you say is true. Believe me, I have been there, and I am telling you that is the truth.

It's what all scientific evidence indicates. Perhaps you are an anomaly among a fraction of one percent of all homosexuals. Then again, perhaps not.
1. No one has yet provided any citations of this so called "scientific evidence" regarding homosexuality.
2. It wouldn't matter if they did, because of this scientific evidence that exists, I have yet to see any where studies treat homosexuality as a sexual deviancy, rather then take the assumption that it is not only normal, but unchangable.

Sure I do. So does every single medical and behavioral science institution in the United States. That's why they condemn such organizations for being unethical, harmful, and ineffective.
You have a bad habit of throwing out unsubstantiated claims. This is the first one.

Never mind the fact that the founders of Exodus admitted that they "cured" no one and were gay themselves.

Never mind the UK branch of Exodus that just last month admitted that their "ministry" was a complete sham.

Using science to determine my opinions rather than propaganda is not reliance on "biased, outdated articles." You are making irrational assumptions not grounded in reality.
False assumption. Please substantiate your claims. You keep poking in the dark.

Since real psychologists don't treat homosexuality as a sexual deviance, you have no valid point.
Really? Did you see how many registered members of the APA voted against homosexuality being taken from the DSM IV?

My bias is toward science, not propaganda and brainwashing.
Your bias is toward political correctness, and in ignorance what most professionals believe about homosexuality. In fact, only 16% of the entire APA membership actually voted in favor of the radical change.
The Politics of Diagnosis (N.Y.: Basic Books, 1981), 101-54; Wm. Dannemeyer, Shadow in the Land (San Fran.: Ignatius Press, 1989), 24-39.

As I said before, you can't trust such organizations for their own self evaluations because they define the term ex-homosexual unfairly--as someone who still has sexual desires for the same sex but is celibate or has sex with the opposite sex while having fantasies for the same sex. That's not a conversion of sexual orientation. That is repression. That's a fact.
the definition is not an unfair one. That is the whole premise behind repentance. That although one is still tempted, one chooses instead to deny that temptation.

Independent studies of NARTH revealed a 0.04% rate of change of sexual orientation as of the year 2000. Independent study of Exodus revealed 0.4% in 1978 and have been extremely guarded with respect to their statistics since then so as not to allow independent evaluations of their claims (i.e., scientific evaluations). An independent study of ex-gays in general revealed a 0% success rate (Schroder and Shidlo, 1997-). Another independent study of ex-gay ministries advertised as part of the GayChange webring indicated a 0% success rate. There simply is not any scientific evidence that any reparative therapy is effective. In fact, they show the exact opposite--that they are ineffective and actually harmful.
Really? Harmful in what way, and in response to what form of treatment?

as mhatten pointed out sexual orientation is not determined by any particular action. Individuals who are celibate are still heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual. Ones sexual orientation is not ever defiend by an action, to suggest otherwise its to state that individuals who have never engaged in sexual activity with another person are not any orientation at all.
The point I was making was in referance to sin. For instance, one may correctly be called an adulterer if he/she engages in adultery, or lusts after a person he/she is not married to. There is no equivelant to homosexuality in the english language. That is all I was trying to bring to attention. To me, this is a great cause for misunderstanding on both sides regarding this issue.

because sexual orientation is not a behavior.
You are right. I never argued that it was. But sexual orientation can be compared to temptation of anything, and can therefore be denied or embraced.

poor baby.

Welcome to my world
I always have been part of this world. The point was, despite the fact that ex-homosexuals are just as brutally prejudiced against as homosexuals are, that does not justify their behavior as correct, or excuse it in God's eyes. I was simply asserting that homosexuals are not the only ones discriminated against.

no not false…just different from what you choose to believe.
Of course it is false. The larger context of scripture tells us that Christ can save us from all of our sin. I don't know how to break this to you, but truth is absolute. There is no relative truth regarding scripture.

whiel NARTH does not use the above torture methods to achieve results there are organizations that drug and physically abuse individuals, largely teenagers who cannot refuse their “love”.
And these are not the ones who have success. Neither I, nor ex-gays at large, support the organizations that DO engage in such tactics.

It is interesting to note that recently Exodus publicly admitted that they think it is impossible to alter anyone’s sexual orientation.
Really? Please provide a link to this. It looks interesting.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
mhatten said:
I guess the question is this are you and other ex-homosexuals considering yourself hetrosexual because you are having hetrosexual sex or is it because of that and, and the and is very important in the consideration, you are enjoying an emotionally healthy full spectrum relationship with a person of the opposite sex.

could an ex-homosexual address this question of mine? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.