Why Does One Get Married? Is Marriage a Lawful or Legal Institution?

Inquiring Christ's Mind

Nov 21, 2022
San Francisco
✟31,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Wit the rise of sexual immorality it's becoming more apparent around the world that the sanctity and purpose of marriage is becoming lost in the Church and the world at large. And after pondering the way in which I would explain marriage to my children I found that I knew nothing last the typical sermons of:

"Thou shalt not commit adultery"
"Sex before marriage is bad"
"No fornication"
"Sex and marriage are only between a man and woman"

Now the words legal and lawful we take for granted and believe them to always mean the same thing however they are very different words. For example prostitution is legal and licensed in many places along with inappropriate contentography yet according to the Word of God they are all unlawful; in a similar fashion same-sex marriage is legal in many places, but unlawful according to God, but why is this?

It must be understood that everything lawful is also legal and everything unlawful is also illegal: yet not everything legal is lawful, nor is everything which is illegal unlawful. In the days of Daniel and king Darius the Magi made idol worship legal, and prayer to any God but the king illegal: yet in the eyes of God idatry is unlawful and serving Him as the One True God is also lawful; so when we get to marriage all marriages which aren't between a biological man who is male by birth and an biological woman who is female by birth is unlawful and illegal in the eyes of God.

Why God didn't just write this down in black and white can be answered by this proverb:

"Here are more of Solomon's proverbs, copied by men at the court of King Hezekiah of Judah. We honour God for what he conceals; we honour kings for what they explain."
Proverbs 25:1‭-‬2 GNBDK

It would seem then that the more difficult and advanced a subject is the harder it becomes to find the answer, which would help explain why God opened the Law with a story instead of a list of commands. For it is much easier to remember a story and clean lessons from it than it is to recite dull words.

Seeing that marriage is a lawful institution as opposed to a legal one means that it is a matter of fact instead of opinion. This also means that there isn't one way to get married, for God honors a marriage whether there was a written agreement or not, which means that from the beginning our faith was to be confirmed by our way of life and not a written contract.

I'm sure many will not accept what I've written because we've been so bogged down by tradition, but the Word of God is clear that He isn't concerned with the method in which we are married so long as our marriage adheres to the principles laid down in His Law.

As to why one gets married the Bible is very quick to show that marriage is the answer to a man and woman loneliness, and that the endgoal of marriage is to have children as the prophet states:

"Don't we all have the same father? Didn't the same God create us all? Then why do we break our promises to one another, and why do we despise the covenant that God made with our ancestors? Didn't God make you one body and spirit with her? What was his purpose in this? It was that you should have children who are truly God's people. So make sure that none of you breaks his promise to his wife."
Malachi 2:10‭, ‬15 GNBDK