Pesto

Sep 19, 2006
✟16,297.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I believe the whole of Genesis.:thumbsup:
However I don't think Gen 1:11 is referring to abiogenesis.

FoeHammer.
Abiogenesis is simply life from non-life. What is depicted in the Bible is just one form.

Similarly, evolution is just change in species over time. There have been many theories of evolution, for example, the one proposed by Lamarck.

You most definitely believe in abiogenesis, albeit not the specific kind current science points to. You also happen to believe that it happened multiple times.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I believe the whole of Genesis.:thumbsup:
However I don't think Gen 1:11 is referring to abiogenesis.

FoeHammer.

Genesis 1:11 - And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

I.e., the dirt (inanimate) is told to bear plant life (animate). This is de dicto life from non-life, and de dicto Abiogenesis. I don't quite see how you can deny this.

Upvote 0

FoeHammer

Veteran
Dec 13, 2006
Warwickshire
✟8,780.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 1:11 - And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

I.e., the dirt (inanimate) is told to bear plant life (animate). This is de dicto life from non-life, and de dicto Abiogenesis. I don't quite see how you can deny this.
Hey! if abiogenesis can be defined as life from non-life via God's command that suits me just fine.

FoeHammer.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
When I used the term evolution in the OP what I meant, of course, was adaptation:

4.Biology. a.any alteration in the structure or function of an organism or any of its parts that results from natural selection and by which the organism becomes better fitted to survive and multiply in its environment.
That sounds more like lamarkism, not modern evolutionary theory, if you maybe found a defintion of it about populations and genes then maybe you'd be closer
I do not, for one moment, accept the notion that the first organism, as a consequence of abiogenesis (which, whether one likes it or not, can be termed evolution) over vast amounts of time via genetic mutation and environmental changes/pressures ‘’evolved’’ into the many and diverse forms of life that we see on the earth today.

FoeHammer.

You believe abiogenesis has something to do with evolution, but it doesn't, its a distortion, evolution has for the millionith time, nothing to do with the origins of the first life form.
and yes evolution has preciece meanings when used in science, if a person calls anything evolution its lost all meaning

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hey! if abiogenesis can be defined as life from non-life via God's command that suits me just fine.

FoeHammer.
I take it you disagree with my definition. Why, and what's your alternate? And for the record, the 'via god's command' qualifier is not what I was specifically implying.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its great that you now accept evolution.

As for life from non life... there are self replicating chemicals, which aren't alive... which are subject to evolution.

So... if the most utterly basic of these (a really simple prion pre-cursor, probably) forms from chance, and then begins to self replicate, then its replications are subject to evolutionary principals, and over time, this non-life will advance to the point it may be considered "life"

Abiogenesis in a 10 second nuthell.

Upvote 0

FoeHammer

Veteran
Dec 13, 2006
Warwickshire
✟8,780.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Its great that you now accept evolution.
As for life from non life... there are self replicating chemicals, which aren't alive... which are subject to evolution.

So... if the most utterly basic of these (a really simple prion pre-cursor, probably) forms from chance, and then begins to self replicate, then its replications are subject to evolutionary principals, and over time, this non-life will advance to the point it may be considered "life"

Abiogenesis in a 10 second nuthell.
Adaptation/evolution..... same thing.

FoeHammer.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought Moses wrote Genesis, up on the hill chilling with God.

That's the popular tradition, but Genesis isn't even the work of a single author, let alone "Moses." The first two chapters alone should be evidence enough that more than one writer held the pen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums