Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When the rapture happens do bodies go up to heaven or does bodies get left and the soul and spirit gets caught up? And what’s scripture to back it up ?

At the rapture the body is transformed into a heavenly immortal body - 1 Cor 15.
For example Elijah in 2 Kings 2 - was raptured, bodily assumed into heaven.

2 Kings 2:
And it came to pass, when the Lord would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.

2 And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the Lord hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel.

3 And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Lord will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace.

4 And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the Lord hath sent me to Jericho. And he said, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they came to Jericho.

7 And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood to view afar off: and they two stood by Jordan.

8 And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.

9 And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.

10 And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.

11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

13 He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan;

14 And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the Lord God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.

=====================

There is no indication that Elijah's dead body was left behind.

When one is resurrected the old decaying body is dust and they get a new one at the resurrection as we see in 1 Cor 15, and 2Cor 5:1-7

But when it comes to translation - the person's body is transformed... changed instantly in the twinkling of an eye as 1 Cor 15 says.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
When the rapture happens do bodies go up to heaven or does bodies get left and the soul and spirit gets caught up? And what’s scripture to back it up ?
Kind of like neither.
Jesus is our model here:
When He rose from the grave on Easter morning, He was already transformed, and it was in his transformed body that he entered a room, and later ascended to Heaven.
Likewise, in our Earthly body we can't ( don't have the physical ability) rise up off our feet and into the air.
It is God who raises us, just like He did Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

SerenityA

Sep 7, 2020
Milwaukee
✟37,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At the rapture the body is transformed into a heavenly immortal body - 1 Cor 15.

2 Kings 2:
And it came to pass, when the Lord would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.

2 And Elijah said unto Elisha, Tarry here, I pray thee; for the Lord hath sent me to Bethel. And Elisha said unto him, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they went down to Bethel.

3 And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Lord will take away thy master from thy head to day? And he said, Yea, I know it; hold ye your peace.

4 And Elijah said unto him, Elisha, tarry here, I pray thee; for the Lord hath sent me to Jericho. And he said, As the Lord liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee. So they came to Jericho.

7 And fifty men of the sons of the prophets went, and stood to view afar off: and they two stood by Jordan.

8 And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.

9 And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.

10 And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.

11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

13 He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan;

14 And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the Lord God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.

=====================

When one is resurrected the old decaying body is dust and they get a new one at the resurrection as we see in 1 Cor 15, and 2Cor 5:1-7

But when it comes to translation - the person's body is transformed... changed instantly in the twinkling of an eye as 1 Cor 15 says.
So do you think when the rapture happens there’s a chance that peoples bodies will still be here on the earth ?

Upvote 0

SerenityA

Sep 7, 2020
Milwaukee
✟37,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kind of like neither.
Jesus is our model here:
When He rose from the grave on Easter morning, He was already transformed, and it was in his transformed body that he entered a room, and later ascended to Heaven.
Likewise, in our Earthly body we can't ( don't have the physical ability) rise up off our feet and into the air.
It is God who raises us, just like He did Jesus.
Yea Jesus does raise us up but I’m wondering if there’s a chance that the body will be left behind so like Jesus raises the spirit and the soul up but the body is left on earth

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yea Jesus does raise us up but I’m wondering if there’s a chance that the body will be left behind so like Jesus raises the spirit and the soul up but the body is left on earth

I don't think so. Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Nobody goes to heaven who is raptured. they meet The Messiah in the clouds/air (and stay there for 7 years) as for what kind of body, i do not know. I do know it will not be the resurrected body because that will happen later.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

2 Kings 2:

=====================

Elijah went up into the sky/heaven and he was just taken to another place on earth. He was not taken away as Enoch was.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Elijah went up into the sky/heaven and he was just taken to another place on earth.

He was taken to heaven and shows up "in glory" in Matt 17 with Moses - when Jesus is glorified

Reactions: ldonjohn
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
He was taken to heaven and shows up "in glory" in Matt 17 with Moses - when Jesus is glorified

He may have when he died, but not from being taken up in the whirlwind.

From Where did Elijah go? by Glenn Peoples
full article is here: Where did Elijah go? - Right Reason

The way this story is often told is that Elijah went to heaven and that was the end of his earthly life. It’s true, in the sense that the Hebrew term הַשָּׁמַיִם (hashamayim) is frequently translated “the heavens” (or “heaven,” as it is here in 2 Kings 2:11), that Elijah was taken up into heaven. But that word really just means the sky (so that, for example, the birds fly in “the heavens”). That doesn’t mean that Elijah went to some place “on the other side” or to some spiritual realm where God and the angels live. As a bodily creature (Elijah was certainly not a ghost, nor is he depicted as dying), it is hard to see what this would even mean for Elijah. But let’s suppose that it might be possible somehow for people to go to this place. The point is, the story in 2 Kings does not say that Elijah went there.

In fact – and this is what most readers miss – although Elijah ceases to be a leading figure in the history of 2 Kings, he does not disappear entirely. He reappears later, in 2 Chronicles 21:8-15

Moreover, he made high places in the hill country of Judah and led the inhabitants of Jerusalem into whoredom and made Judah go astray. And a letter came to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, “Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father, ‘Because you have not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat your father, or in the ways of Asa king of Judah, but have walked in the way of the kings of Israel and have enticed Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem into whoredom, as the house of Ahab led Israel into whoredom, and also you have killed your brothers, of your father’s house, who were better than you, behold, the Lord will bring a great plague on your people, your children, your wives, and all your possessions, and you yourself will have a severe sickness with a disease of your bowels, until your bowels come out because of the disease, day by day.’ ”

If Elijah had passed on to the great beyond, what on earth – literally – was he doing writing letters to Jehoram, King of Judah? Sure, you can concoct a story where Elijah was shown by God all that Jehoram would later do, and he wrote down this letter as a judgement based on these predictions. But that’s just not how the passage reads. There is certainly no record of this inspired event prior to Elijah’s encounter with the whirlwind, and nobody is surprised that Jehoram receives a letter from Elijah. Nobody, that is, apart from the reader who thinks that Elijah was living in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can read 1 Corinthians 15:35-54.

According to what I get through this, when Jesus raptures His church, we will be resurrected . . . like how Jesus Christ was resurrected in His body which was changed into an immoral state. God's almighty power will change our physical bodies to become glorious and incorruptible.

But I note how Jesus left behind His grave wrappings, and it seems His head wrapping. So, I would not be surprised if our clothes will drop on the ground when Jesus takes us up. And dental fillings and implants and artificial joints, perhaps, will drop and be left on the ground, as a witness, and because they are not parts of our bodies.

• Winner
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
He may have when he died, but not from being taken up in the whirlwind.

There is no "when he died" in the Bible when it comes to Elijah.

The way this story is often told is that Elijah went to heaven and that was the end of his earthly life.

Because the Bible says it.

2 Kings 2:
1. And it came to pass, when the Lord would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.

As he was "bodily taken up" we find this account...

And apparently you also think he was bodily taken up.

============

No Bible text mentions anyone at all being taken up into heaven - going into heaven -- where what is meant is "flying around with birds for a while and landing on some other part of earth later"

So then in Acts 1

9 And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were watching, and a cloud took Him up, out of their sight. 10 And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, then behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them, 11 and they said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.”

Does not mean "flying around with birds in the clouds for a while then landing back down again"

• Agree
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The full picture is shown in the four Gospels of our Bible. The 'rapture' (i.e. joyous uplifting) is a term describing the spiritual calling up to heaven of true "redeemed" souls (as John 3:16; John 14; John 17; Romans 8; etc.). It is not speaking of the BODY, which goes to the grave and disintergrates there.
The assigned Angel delivers a saved soul up to God. Other souls who are not saved --"redeemed" by receiving the Lord Jesus as their own Savior and Lord of their life, will find there place to be 'Hades' (the holding place for unsaved souls, until cast into "hell fire' at the final judgment time). We need to live a new life for God now, or suffer forever with Satan in the end. Remember we will have a new body in Heaven --more perfect than what we have had here.

One can learn much about God's ways by reading the Gospels about redemption; and the Epistles about Church truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SerenityA

Sep 7, 2020
Milwaukee
✟37,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The full picture is shown in the four Gospels of our Bible. The 'rapture' (i.e. joyous uplifting) is a term describing the spiritual calling up to heaven of true "redeemed" souls (as John 3:16; John 14; John 17; Romans 8; etc.). It is not speaking of the BODY, which goes to the grave and disintergrates there. The assigned Angel delivers a saved soul up to God. Other souls who are not saved --"redeemed" by receiving the Lord Jesus as their own Savior and Lord of their life, will find there place to be 'Hades' (the holding place for unsaved souls, until cast into "hell fire' at the final judgment time).

One can learn much about God's ways by reading the Gospels about redemption; and the Epistles about Church truth.
So do you feel like the body gets left behind during the rapture ?

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So do you feel like the body gets left behind during the rapture ?

As I said: "it deteriorates in the earth". We won't need the earthly body in Heaven, but enjoy a new and stronger body up with our Creator-God. Just be sure you make it there (as John 3:16), friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SerenityA

Sep 7, 2020
Milwaukee
✟37,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I said: "it deteriorates in the earth". We won't need the earthly body in Heaven, but enjoy a new and stronger body up with our Creator-God. Just be sure you make it there (as John 3:16), friend.
Right so basically people can get raptured and there bodies get left here there bodies don’t die right away after there soul has been taken up

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
There is no "when he died" in the Bible when it comes to Elijah.

Because the Bible says it.

2 Kings 2:
1. And it came to pass, when the Lord would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.

As he was "bodily taken up" we find this account...

And apparently you also think he was bodily taken up.

============

No Bible text mentions anyone at all being taken up into heaven - going into heaven -- where what is meant is "flying around with birds for a while and landing on some other part of earth later"

So then in Acts 1

9 And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were watching, and a cloud took Him up, out of their sight. 10 And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, then behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them, 11 and they said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven.”

Does not mean "flying around with birds in the clouds for a while then landing back down again"

Again how can Elijah the prophet write a letter to Jehoram in 2nd Chronicles 21:12 if he is up in heaven.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He did NOT write it up in Heaven. Proper reading and study of Bible explanations will help one on this, friend. Elijah wrote this BEFORE his 'translation' up to Heaven. I find much help on explanations of Bible verses in my study Bible: Scofield KJV Study Bible, for it shows margin references and footnotes explaining the history and meaning of perhaps seeming obscure verses. One can find this helpful Bible at Bibletruth Publishers, Addison, IL -USA.

Upvote 0