Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'll take a bad hymn over bad Christian rock music any day of the week and twice on Sunday lol. Before I get bashed, I would like to state that I'm a huge fan of rock, hard rock, and heavy metal....just not Christian rock.

If I may kindly ask, what are your reason(s) for loathing Christian rock?

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If I may kindly ask, what are your reason(s) for loathing Christian rock?

It's just (mostly) bad. The lyrics tend to be simplistic, corny, and terrible. Most of it doesn't sound authentic and even sounds contrived. The level of musicianship is also lacking when it comes to Christian rock, especially when compared to secular rock/metal bands.

Now, there are exceptions to this, like Demon Hunter. However, Demon Hunter is not a Christian rock band in the sense that most people would think of the term.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'll take a bad hymn over bad Christian rock music any day of the week and twice on Sunday lol. Before I get bashed, I would like to state that I'm a huge fan of rock, hard rock, and heavy metal....just not Christian rock.

That's my usual sentiment, at least as concerns CCM.

Though I started this thread primarily because it's fairly easy for many of us liturgical sorts to see problems with CCM or the Praise and Worship genre; but it is only fair that we also admit that there are plenty of hymns equally problematic. That the criticism is not a snobbish critique involving mere musical preference, but that what we sing as the people of God should be theologically literate and coherent, making sense as the song of God's People.

Our music is not meant to be mere saccharine sentimentality, but declarative songs of faith, what God has done, what we hope for, what we believe in. Our singing is our confession.

Sentimental pieces without any actual substance, whether they are hymns or modern praise choruses don't actually say anything, "I love You God" isn't the substance of the Church's song. Because our celebration is not of our love for God, it is His love for us--the love with which He loved us by sending His Son, came down, suffered, died, was buried, and has risen from the dead, ascended, and is coming again.

So we should be mindful of what we sing, because our song is our confession. Lex Credandi, Lex Orandi.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's just (mostly) bad. The lyrics tend to be simplistic, corny, and terrible. Most of it doesn't sound authentic and even sounds contrived. The level of musicianship is also lacking when it comes to Christian rock, especially when compared to secular rock/metal bands.

Now, there are exceptions to this, like Demon Hunter. However, Demon Hunter is not a Christian rock band in the sense that most people would think of the term.

Fair enough. I have a soft spot for Skillet.:blush:

[youtube]Q31lGa7rhjc[/youtube]

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doubt is the enemy of faith.

I don't think it is doubt is normal, and I think that working through our doubts may often make our faith grow stronger.
Matthew says that the disciples worshipped Jesus, even though some doubted. I find that very reassuring; that we don't have to have our theology completely sorted and perfect before we can worship - or indeed before our worship is accepted. Thomas doubted, but Jesus acknowledged, and answered, those doubts - and Thomas made a great profession of faith, called the risen Jesus Lord and God.
A man asked Jesus to heal with the words "IF you can ...." and confessed unbelief. Jesus healed.

I've often found that God meets me in my doubts, and loves me through them, rather than condemning me for them.

Was doubt not the reason Moses was barred from entering the promised land by the LORD (Numbers 20:8-12)?

I don't think that was doubt. The Lord told Moses to speak to the rock, (v8) and Moses struck it; sounds like disobedience to me.The Lord then told Moses he had not trusted him enough to honour him as holy, (v12). In Deut 32:51 God said that Moses would not enter the Promised Land because he had broken faith with him at the waters of Meribah, and not upheld his holiness.

Was doubt not the reason Peter sank into the sea (Matthew 14:31)?

Personally I wouldn't say that was doubt either, but I could be wrong.
Peter took his eyes off Jesus and started looking at his circumstances and the problem; I would say he started walking by sight and not by faith for a while. But maybe that's just semantics.

Jesus replied, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done." Matthew 21:21

Yes, maybe doubts limit what we, or the Lord can do; that doesn't mean it's wrong to have them.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it is doubt is normal, and I think that working through our doubts may often make our faith grow stronger.
Matthew says that the disciples worshipped Jesus, even though some doubted. I find that very reassuring; that we don't have to have our theology completely sorted and perfect before we can worship - or indeed before our worship is accepted. Thomas doubted, but Jesus acknowledged, and answered, those doubts - and Thomas made a great profession of faith, called the risen Jesus Lord and God.
A man asked Jesus to heal with the words "IF you can ...." and confessed unbelief. Jesus healed.

I've often found that God meets me in my doubts, and loves me through them, rather than condemning me for them.

Remember what Jesus told Thomas when he doubted that it was really the risen Christ that stood in front of him?

Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” John 20:27

Stop doubting and believe.

I don't think that was doubt. The Lord told Moses to speak to the rock, (v8) and Moses struck it; sounds like disobedience to me.The Lord then told Moses he had not trusted him enough to honour him as holy, (v12). In Deut 32:51 God said that Moses would not enter the Promised Land because he had broken faith with him at the waters of Meribah, and not upheld his holiness.

Moses doubted God's word. He did not trust what God had said to him would come true.

Personally I wouldn't say that was doubt either, but I could be wrong. Peter took his eyes off Jesus and started looking at his circumstances and the problem; I would say he started walking by sight and not by faith for a while. But maybe that's just semantics.

The Scriptures say Peter fell into the water because he doubted God. When God called Abraham to leave his home and travel to a foreign land, he obeyed without any doubt whatsoever even though he didn't know where he was going. He trusted that the LORD would keep his promise. That's the kind of trust the Father requires from all His children.

You have to understand doubt makes our faith imperfect. This can ultimately lead to greater problems, if we are not careful. Satan took advantage of Eve because of her doubt.

Yes, maybe doubts limit what we, or the Lord can do; that doesn't mean it's wrong to have them.

But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. James 1:6-7

I'll leave that here.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jesus met Thomas in his doubts and answered them; he didn't criticize/disown him for having them.

That's all I'm saying. :)

Jesus did tell Thomas to stop doubting and believe. I dunno about you, but that is a reproach in my book.

Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen. Mark 16:14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. John 13:1

Which world does Jesus currently reside in?
The Coming Age.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You know, it's funny, I was totally into the "praise & worship"/CCM stuff & evangelical hymns. That's all I had ever known up until last fall when I had a spiritual meltdown & began attending other churches on my journey.

I'd have to say one of my least favorite hymns is "Amazing Grace." It's overdone & doesn't really have much substance. I cringed to myself when it was a special music selection sang during offering a few weeks ago. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You know, it's funny, I was totally into the "praise & worship"/CCM stuff & evangelical hymns. That's all I had ever known up until last fall when I had a spiritual meltdown & began attending other churches on my journey.

I'd have to say one of my least favorite hymns is "Amazing Grace." It's overdone & doesn't really have much substance. I cringed to myself when it was a special music selection sang during offering a few weeks ago. :p

I agree, "amazing grace" is seriously over exposed.

Upvote 0