US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a hard decision to make and you are still young. I am 48 and have had many jobs in my life, but I have found that I have been the happiest when I have a job doing what I like to do. I started out studying in architectural drafting, I love to draw, and went to school for it. When I got a job doing it, I found out that I couldn't sit behind a desk. I had to be outside.
Keep up the good work and God Bless you.
Yeah, it is hard to decide. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to go to college, because I don't want to go and then not use the degree I'd get. Almost everyone in my family who went to college ended up not using their degrees, so that makes it harder for me to figure out whether it's worth it to go or not. I have about a year and a half of high school left though so I have some time to think about it.
Thanks, and God bless you too.

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So my question is, do you think using hydroponics would be a more efficient/cheaper way to grow plants than just using soil? It seems like it would be to me, but I would like to know what other people think, in case I'm wrong about that.

Hello Davida, welcome,
I like the way you have been doing hands on experimenting. You'll end up going to college and knowing more than the teachers :)
I have no first hand experience but covered the basic theory when I was at horticultural college. I don't think there is a definite 'hydroponics is better than soil' answer. Horses for courses, what's possible ? what's needed? One should always go for the appropriate technology.
But I'm sure of one thing, hydroponics is never going to replace soil as as the main medium for growing stuff.
Also the flavour component of our food is important and so much mass produced food (even when soil grown) seriously lacks taste. It's not just the variety of the plant that effects the taste but also the growing medium. Think of wines made from the same variety of grapes but grown on different soils. I wonder if any one is producing wine from hydroponically grown grapes?
Bringing degraded, polluted area back to health is possible as others have said. It takes time and effort to do but perhaps 'saving soil' is at least as worthy a cause as saving the amazonian rain forest.
Go well
><>

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Davida, welcome,
I like the way you have been doing hands on experimenting. You'll end up going to college and knowing more than the teachers :)
I have no first hand experience but covered the basic theory when I was at horticultural college. I don't think there is a definite 'hydroponics is better than soil' answer. Horses for courses, what's possible ? what's needed? One should always go for the appropriate technology.
But I'm sure of one thing, hydroponics is never going to replace soil as as the main medium for growing stuff.
Also the flavour component of our food is important and so much mass produced food (even when soil grown) seriously lacks taste. It's not just the variety of the plant that effects the taste but also the growing medium. Think of wines made from the same variety of grapes but grown on different soils. I wonder if any one is producing wine from hydroponically grown grapes?
Bringing degraded, polluted area back to health is possible as others have said. It takes time and effort to do but perhaps 'saving soil' is at least as worthy a cause as saving the amazonian rain forest.
Go well
><>
Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to college yet, but even if I did I highly doubt I'd know more than the teachers... :)
I was more focused on places where growing plants in soil is really difficult. Not really because of pesticides or pollution, but because it already was that way naturally.
And that is interesting about it affecting taste...I didn't think it would affect it that much. I have noticed that garlic doesn't taste as strong when it's grown hydroponically, but I don't notice a huge difference.

Upvote 0