Hunter Biden’s lawyers hope federal court ruling staves off possible gun-related charge against president’s son

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

CNN —
Hunter Biden’s lawyers hope a recent federal appeals court ruling on access to firearms could help convince the Justice Department not to bring a gun-related prosecution against the president’s son, sources close to his legal team tell CNN.

The 3rd US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Tuesday that it was unconstitutional for a Pennsylvania man to be denied, under federal law, the ability to purchase a gun because of the man’s previous conviction for lying on a food stamp application.

In Hunter Biden’s case, federal prosecutors are weighing possible charges related to tax violations and to making a false statement related to a gun purchase.

In particular, investigators are looking at whether he lied on his 2018 application to buy a gun when he said he wasn’t a user of unlawful drugs. Hunter Biden has acknowledged his struggles with drug addiction.

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

CNN —
Hunter Biden’s lawyers hope a recent federal appeals court ruling on access to firearms could help convince the Justice Department not to bring a gun-related prosecution against the president’s son, sources close to his legal team tell CNN.

The 3rd US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on Tuesday that it was unconstitutional for a Pennsylvania man to be denied, under federal law, the ability to purchase a gun because of the man’s previous conviction for lying on a food stamp application.

In Hunter Biden’s case, federal prosecutors are weighing possible charges related to tax violations and to making a false statement related to a gun purchase.

In particular, investigators are looking at whether he lied on his 2018 application to buy a gun when he said he wasn’t a user of unlawful drugs. Hunter Biden has acknowledged his struggles with drug addiction.
I kind of recall in the state of Delaware, around the same time Hunter apparently lied on his gun application, only three other people were charged with the same. The state of Delaware chose to not prosecute any of them.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If no one is above the law, the drug addict son of of the President should not be treated any differently. He knew it was illegal to make a false statement.

I kind of recall in the state of Delaware, around the same time Hunter apparently lied on his gun application, only three other people were charged with the same. The state of Delaware chose to not prosecute any of them.
But a review of such cases in Delaware, also provided to The Fact Checker, shows that in fiscal 2019, only three Form 4473 cases were referred for prosecution in the state — and the U.S. attorney opted not to bring them.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But a review of such cases in Delaware, also provided to The Fact Checker, shows that in fiscal 2019, only three Form 4473 cases were referred for prosecution in the state — and the U.S. attorney opted not to bring them.
Just because the Attorney chose not to enforce the law - doesn't mean the law should not be enforced.

Joe is supposed to be a proponent of gun control - he should start with his son

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just because the Attorney chose not to enforce the law - doesn't mean the law should not be enforced.
You're not a mind reader so don't pretend to know why the U.S. Attorney made the decision they did.
Joe is supposed to be a proponent of gun control - he should start with his son
"Why is sleepy Joe being a hypocrite!" isn't the lib owning argument you think it is.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're not a mind reader so don't pretend to know why the U.S. Attorney made the decision they did.
Did they or did they not choose not to enforce the law? I didn't assign motive - The chose not to, that doesn't mean the laws should not be enforced. Name one other known drug addict, who lied on a federal firearms form then admit to doing it and not get charged? And why would you not charge the drug addict?

"Why is sleepy Joe being a hypocrite!" isn't the lib owning argument you think it is.
Calling the President derogatory names, such as 'sleepy Joe" can be considered flaming a public official. I personally would not do so, but the choice is yours.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did they or did they not choose not to enforce the law?
Law enforcement includes not charging if there are mitigating circumstances or if the violation simply doesn't warrant prosecution. Since neither you, nor I are privy to the details of any of the three instances, speculation is unproductive. If Hunter's 4473 violation warrants prosecution, then he should be prosecuted. That decision isn't ours to make however.
Name one other known drug addict, who lied on a federal firearms form then admit to doing it and not get charged? And why would you not charge the drug addict?
If I can't, will it change the fact that neither you nor I know the details of the three 2019 instances which weren't Prosecuted in Delaware?

No, it won't.
Calling the President derogatory names, such as 'sleepy Joe" can be considered flaming a public official. I personally would not do so, but the choice is yours.
(sotto voce) I'm not calling the President derogatory names.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's not a "lib owning argument"...it's a demand for consistency.

No matter how one decides to try and spin it...it's a tough sell to tell everyone else they should succumb to tighter gun laws, but then try to justify a self-admitted crack addict lying on a federal form to purchase a handgun.

Are some conservatives being hypocritical on this issue as well? Sure...

But on conversations about restricting rights and privileges, the onus is on the side that wants to restrict, not on the side that wants to allow.

For instance, if there was a "side" that always claimed they wanted to stop people from wearing blue shirts in every other conversation, the onus would be on them to explain why blue shirts are bad, and stick to it when a person from their own side got caught violating one of their principles.

Given that one particular party is the one that champions gun control, the onus is on the left to rationalize why they've tried to restrict guns for everyone else, but want to give a pass in this situation.

As someone who's a gun owner, but moderate on the issue...I think anyone who wants to own a gun should have to underdo a background check, mental health screening, training, and not be addicted to hard drugs, my position is in tact saying that Hunter Biden shouldn't have one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not a "lib owning argument"...it's a demand for consistency.
The implication of the response was "if Joe wants gun control, he needs to start with his son".

I hardly expect a father who knows the struggles his son went through with his drug addiction, and that he continues to work on his sobriety, to shout - "come arrest and imprison my son immediately".

That's the point I was making about the President's supposed hypocrisy.

I posted a link for informational purposes about Delaware and it's prosecution of 4473 violations, you guys can discuss that if you want.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The implication of the response was "if Joe wants gun control, he needs to start with his son".

I hardly expect a father who knows the struggles his son went through with his drug addiction, and that he continues to work on his sobriety, to shout - "come arrest and imprison my son immediately".

That's the point I was making about the President's supposed hypocrisy.

Just to gauge your consistency on this matter...

If it came out that Don Jr. was addicted to hard drugs and lied on a federal form in order to get a handgun, would your position on this be so nuanced, or would you be calling for his head on a platter?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't aware that States prosecuted Federal felonies. When did that start?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If no one is above the law, the drug addict son of of the President should not be treated any differently. He knew it was illegal to make a false statement.
I find it interesting that the Christians at Waco were burned alive, under Democratic leadership, for what? Lying on their paperwork? No. For neglect to fill out the proper paperwork. Good thing Hunter lied to illegally obtain a firearm from a licensed dealer, instead of buying one from a private owner, and neglecting to tell Big Brother.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's the least of the Biden's problems
First Paragraph on Form 4473

ATF E-Form 4473 (5300.9)
Revised October 2016
U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Firearms Transaction Record
OMB No. 1140-0020
WARNING: You may not receive a firearm if prohibited by Federal or State law. The information you provide will be used to
determine whether you are prohibited from receiving a firearm. Certain violations of the Gun Control Act, 18 U.S.C. 921 et. seq.,
are punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and/or up to a $250,000 fine.

Upvote 0