Humble request for more advice

WeakButHopeful

Oct 25, 2003
East Coast of USA
Visit site
✟8,470.00
Faith
Catholic
First let me apologize to those who have already given me advice on exercise in this forum, I hope you won't think I wasn't appreciative, but due to some changed circumstances in my life I would like to ask for some new advice. Also, this time I think I will leave out the details of my life for brevity, though I am willing to elaborate if it ends up being important to the question.

My question: is there a good exercise program in existence for someone like me (described below), whether that be a Web site, a book, a DVD, whatever. I think I need a program to follow because I have so little time weekdays, limited equipment and am not accustomed to exercise (no fitness common sense).

My details: 52 year old male, 5 foot 11 inches, 235 pounds, no significant health problems but definitely out of any kind of shape, 45 minutes max to work out each workday, more on weekends (incl.everything: stretching, aerobics, resistance, cool down). I have an old exercise bike and an old treadmill (both have seen better days), plus a weight bench with stack, exercise mat and some dumb bells. I was advised prev. to get a swiss ball but never had much luck with them when I was at the gym, lousy sense of balance...am willing to learn if that's part of the "program". There are no good running/walking areas in my neighborhood, my joints don't seem to like outdoor running, and bad weather is (for me at least) an excuse to skip.

My goal: become more fit to improve my quality of life, release tension and avoid diseases that afflict the unfit (although I could stand to lose some weight that is not my goal...I have been on a diet for years and have already lost 50 pounds).

When I think about what I would include in my program (as if I was qualified to make something like that up) I assume it should include aerobics and stretching in the beginning (to warm up), stretching at the end (to cool down) and then when I think about how much time that leaves in the middle, and how many dozens of exercises there are to select from, I am overwhelmed. Hey, I'm a computer programmer, was never into sports or exercise my whole life, and this is what I get. It's my fault in the end, but I'm trying to change.

Thanks in advance for your patience and for any advice or links you might have. God bless.

WeakButHopeful

Oct 25, 2003
East Coast of USA
Visit site
✟8,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Thanks Christ Aficionado. I went and read some reviews on "Body for Life". Everyone seems to agree it's a great book for rank beginners like me, though some say that I should ignore the authors pushing his food products while I read it. I plan to stop at the bookstore on my way home one night this week.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

LoveJoy

Jan 15, 2006
Tacoma, Wa
✟15,360.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WeakButHopeful said:
First let me apologize to those who have already given me advice on exercise in this forum, I hope you won't think I wasn't appreciative, but due to some changed circumstances in my life I would like to ask for some new advice. Also, this time I think I will leave out the details of my life for brevity, though I am willing to elaborate if it ends up being important to the question.

My question: is there a good exercise program in existence for someone like me (described below), whether that be a Web site, a book, a DVD, whatever. I think I need a program to follow because I have so little time weekdays, limited equipment and am not accustomed to exercise (no fitness common sense).

My details: 52 year old male, 5 foot 11 inches, 235 pounds, no significant health problems but definitely out of any kind of shape, 45 minutes max to work out each workday, more on weekends (incl.everything: stretching, aerobics, resistance, cool down). I have an old exercise bike and an old treadmill (both have seen better days), plus a weight bench with stack, exercise mat and some dumb bells. I was advised prev. to get a swiss ball but never had much luck with them when I was at the gym, lousy sense of balance...am willing to learn if that's part of the "program". There are no good running/walking areas in my neighborhood, my joints don't seem to like outdoor running, and bad weather is (for me at least) an excuse to skip.

My goal: become more fit to improve my quality of life, release tension and avoid diseases that afflict the unfit (although I could stand to lose some weight that is not my goal...I have been on a diet for years and have already lost 50 pounds).

When I think about what I would include in my program (as if I was qualified to make something like that up) I assume it should include aerobics and stretching in the beginning (to warm up), stretching at the end (to cool down) and then when I think about how much time that leaves in the middle, and how many dozens of exercises there are to select from, I am overwhelmed. Hey, I'm a computer programmer, was never into sports or exercise my whole life, and this is what I get. It's my fault in the end, but I'm trying to change.

Thanks in advance for your patience and for any advice or links you might have. God bless.
Sadly, many people do not succeed with advocacy and accountability. Most gyms and home equipment have much too high a learning curve, and most people are not even sure when the have achieved a gain in fitness. You are a unique individual, and need a program that meets your specific needs. It is expensive and time consuming, but I advocate searching out a Sports Medicine facility that will measure your body fat percentage, your VO2 max, etc., and can tailor a program for you based on your results. It is the best way to get started, and will give you measurable results to work with.

Upvote 0

tadpole29

Feb 28, 2005
TX
✟516.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was able to get a good workout by one of the personal trainers at my gym. They asked me my goals, and skill level, and built the program around me. I really suggest you find a personal trainer, someone who can see you face to face. Thats the best way in my opinion.

Upvote 0