Humans can't or don't want to repent in hell?

adrian1

Oct 25, 2017
Bucharest
✟17,051.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We know that the devils --don’t want-- to repent, he is too produs even to think to his repentance or to come to God with humility.

But what make the humans to --can’t repent-- after death, we know that they want to stop the suffering, (the health from the Gospel) want to seek God (five Virgins parable), --want to repent–we can say that a part of their free will want get away from hell, but what make this impossible?

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We know that the devils --don’t want-- to repent, he is too produs even to think to his repentance or to come to God with humility.

But what make the humans to --can’t repent-- after death, we know that they want to stop the suffering, (the health from the Gospel) want to seek God (five Virgins parable), --want to repent–we can say that a part of their free will want get away from hell, but what make this impossible?
Probably because of the impassable gulf between heaven and hell (Luke 16:19). The rich man burning in hell watching Lazarus the leper next to Abraham was told it was too late or futile to repent in hell. How tragic that many will wait until it's too late. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

like the devil, for those who end up in hell their pride is greater than their desire to seek God or end the suffering.

and for the non-Orthodox, please check out our forum rules about posting here.

Reactions: SaNcTaMaRiA
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
like the devil, for those who end up in hell their pride is greater than their desire to seek God or end the suffering.

That must mean it is difficult for us sinners who love God to go to hell.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

My bad. I always seem to wind up posting in TAW without realising where I am.

But I don't think I've ever said anything un-Orthodox. At least, I hope not.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That must mean it is difficult for us sinners who love God to go to hell.

it should be, but we have a knack for putting things above God. we might think we love Him, but if we love sex more, we really don't love Him.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My bad. I always seem to wind up posting in TAW without realising where I am.

But I don't think I've ever said anything un-Orthodox. At least, I hope not.

nah, you're good. only thing is that for us, what the OP said about the parable of the Virgins is one of many true interpretations.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
nah, you're good. only thing is that for us, what the OP said about the parable of the Virgins is one of many true interpretations.

My bad again. Out of a desire to understand the Orthodox view(s), can you please point me at some source on that?

I've read a great deal of Orthodox literature, and that interpretation is new to me.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My bad again. Out of a desire to understand the Orthodox view(s), can you please point me at some source on that?

I've read a great deal of Orthodox literature, and that interpretation is new to me.

they wanted to seek God, but were unprepared when He came. their idleness caused them to put off seeking virtue, even though they knew of the importance of preparing for Him.

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
they wanted to seek God, but were unprepared when He came. their idleness caused them to put off seeking virtue, even though they knew of the importance of preparing for Him.

OK, I'm with you... they wanted to, but not very much. Yes, that I've read before.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Matthew 24 10

Feb 28, 2018
Warsaw
✟9,130.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Seems like you made two threads posted in wrong one .

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should we be allowed to repent after death? The Gospel of Luke in 16:19-31 makes it clear that we have been given what we need to believe. Abraham says several times to the rich man that his kin have Moses and the prophets. If that is not enough then they won't be swayed by a person raising from the dead. We know that Jesus rose from the dead. If man chooses not to believe it that is his fault not God's. Their pride makes them foolish and their own self pride and ego will be there undoing. Luke's Gospel is hits on this point over and over again.

(If I said anything non Orthodox please feel free to delete this post. Never do I want to sow seeds of discord among my brothers and sisters.)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the only thing here is the issue is not that the rich man was not allowed to repent, it was that he chose not to. his first question to Abraham was how to endure the torment, not how to escape it.

Reactions: SaNcTaMaRiA
Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I have nothing to contribute (in fact I think this is the type of theology that is both unnecessary for salvation and very risky to think about for my unenlightened mind) but I just wanted to welcome a fellow Romanian :D

Doamne ajuta!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums