Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The phrase was added in 1954 through legislation signed by President Eisenhower. The appeals court noted that Eisenhower wrote then that "millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty."

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/pledge.allegiance/index.html

I don't see how anyone can dispute that he was talking about the judeo-christian god. 

&nbsp;<!--startclickprintexclude-->

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
I don't know, for me this seems to remove all meaning from the pledge, at least that's how my eyes see it. I wonder if they will continue to change it everytime someone disagrees with what it says.

The bigger picture I see here is a country that no longer wants to follow the ways of God, but wants to follow the ways of man. May God continue to protect those of us who still want to follow his ways.

I guess we will need to do away with cash next since it says in God we trust on it.&nbsp; :(

Upvote 0
Originally posted by GraftMeIn
I don't know, for me this seems to remove all meaning from the pledge, at least that's how my eyes see it. I wonder if they will continue to change it everytime someone disagrees with what it says.

The bigger picture I see here is a country that no longer wants to follow the ways of God, but wants to follow the ways of man. May God continue to protect those of us who still want to follow his ways.

I guess we will need to do away with cash next since it says in God we trust on it.&nbsp; :(

Hey, didnt revelation say something about buying stuff without money? :eek:

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment.&nbsp; Its a scary road that this country has been on since the 60's. :help:

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't know, for me this seems to remove all meaning from the pledge, at least that's how my eyes see it.

It seemed to work pretty well up until 1954.

I guess we will need to do away with cash next since it says in God we trust on it.&nbsp;

No need to do away with cash. We just need to do away with the cash's absurd expression of superstitious nonsense. Why would the faithful want "God" on money anyway? Isn't it the root of all evil? That would seem to be an odd thing to put "God" on.

Upvote 0

The ways of YOUR GOD. Can't you understand that? You can't make people pledge to things they don't believe in!

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
Originally posted by s0uljah

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment.&nbsp; Its a scary road that this country has been on since the 60's. :help:

A scary road? You mean equality and freedom and stuff?

Upvote 0

A Sheep

Stop the suffering in Iraq
Mar 10, 2002
✟6,046.00
Funny Stuff:

"My reading of the stelliscript suggests that upon Newdow's theory of our Constitution, accepted by my colleagues today, we will soon find ourselves prohibited from using our album of patriotic songs in many public settings. 'God Bless America' and 'America the Beautiful' will be gone for sure, and while use of the first and second stanzas of the Star Spangled Banner will still be permissible, we will be precluded from straying into the third. And currency beware!" wrote Fernandez.

This explains the judgement:

The 9th Circuit is the most liberal and the most overturned appeals court in the country.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by s0uljah

It sure does! and we are headed down that track like a locomotive that's lost it's brakes.

Yup it just keeps getting worse and worse :sigh:&nbsp; I'm glad we can take shelter under the wings of&nbsp;our Lord God&nbsp;Almighty. I think some people are going to be in for a huge surprise when he returns for us.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by A Sheep
The ways of YOUR FLAG. Can't you understand that? You can't make people pledge to things they don't think are sacred or if they do not believe in pledging allegiance!

Not my flag.

United States citizens pledge alleigance to the flag of the United States. What's wrong with that?

Upvote 0

Yup it just keeps getting worse and worse :sigh:&nbsp; I'm glad we can take shelter under the wings of&nbsp;our Lord God&nbsp;Almighty. I think some people are going to be in for a huge surprise when he returns for us.

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

AMEN! :bow: Praise God!

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by Mallory Knox

The ways of YOUR GOD. Can't you understand that? You can't make people pledge to things they don't believe in!

&nbsp;

No I can't force them to make the pledge, but I don't think they should have the right to stop me from making it.

This also takes away from the faith that this country was founded on, It takes away from our history.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by D. Scarlatti

Right. There&nbsp;are no references to "god"&nbsp;whatsoever&nbsp;in the Constitution. That was for a reason.

&nbsp;

I n the U.S. Constitution yes.&nbsp; But how do you explain the fact that the very men who signed the U.S. Constitution turned around and wrote state constitutions that not only had referrences to God but that some made belief in God madatory for public office?&nbsp;

Also what do you do with the knowledge that these men prayed to start their meetings.&nbsp; And we still do today.&nbsp;

&nbsp;See it is not that easy.&nbsp;

&nbsp;

I believe in churc hstate speration but I do not believe that we could or should strive for total seperation.&nbsp;

Upvote 0
No I can't force them to make the pledge, but I don't think they should have the right to stop me from making it.
This also takes away from the faith that this country was founded on, It takes away from our history.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Huh? You can make it if you want. But now nobody can be forced to. That's the issue.

And this only came into effect in like 1954 so don't talk about "your history".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by Blackhawk
&nbsp;I n the U.S. Constitution yes.&nbsp; But how do you explain the fact that the very men who signed the U.S. Constitution turned around and wrote state constitutions that not only had referrences to God but that some made belief in God madatory for public office?&nbsp;

Also what do you do with the knowledge that these men prayed to start their meetings.&nbsp; And we still do today.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

And so what if they did? What if those men had been Buddhists, would you pray to Buddha every day because THEY did?

Upvote 0
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by Blackhawk
But how do you explain the fact that the very men who signed the U.S. Constitution turned around and wrote state constitutions that not only had referrences to God but that some made belief in God madatory for public office?

That's irrelevant, even if it was true. The U.S. Constitution trumps them all. Those mandatory belief clauses are clearly unconstitutional.

Also what do you do with the knowledge that these men prayed to start their meetings. And we still do today.&nbsp;

So what? That's irrelevant too.

Have any of you actually read the 9th Circuit's opinion or what? It has nothing to do with praying at meetings. It declares a 1954 act of Congress unconstitutional. If you disagree with the decision, disagree with its legal reasoning. What state constitutions say or what church the framers went to have nothing to do with it.

&nbsp;See it is not that easy.&nbsp;

This is a slam dunk and should have been accomplished years ago. Congress' addition of "under God" to the Pledge was unconstitutional. It's as simple as that and the 9th Circuit's opinion is based entirely on U.S. Supreme Court establishment clause precedent. They didn't just make it up out of whole cloth.

Upvote 0

D. Scarlatti

Jun 3, 2002
Earth
✟2,620.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by A Sheep
The 9th Circuit is the most liberal and the most overturned appeals court in the country.

If the Supreme Court overturns the 9th Circuit it will have to repudiate its own previous opinions, because those are what the 9th Circuit relied on here.

Please read the 9th Circuit opinion.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
Originally posted by Mallory Knox

Huh? You can make it if you want. But now nobody can be forced to. That's the issue.

And this only came into effect in like 1954 so don't talk about "your history".

I was born and raised in this country, I can talk about "My Countries history" all I want.

Upvote 0