Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
reduces the human body to simply a disposable commodity
That's what it is!
The body returns to dust ....
Soul life is breath life.... The life = (nephesh)=soul of the flesh is in the blood ... Lev 17:11
and that that ceases at death.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Human composting burial legalized in California

A note from the article:
Still, not everyone is pleased that human composting is becoming more popular. The California Catholic Conference submitted a letter in June opposing AB 351, saying it “reduces the human body to simply a disposable commodity.”
How is this any worse than cremations? If Religions don't like Human composting burial and cremations. They are free to bury their people, the way they want. Even though cemeteries would be better off turned into parks or flower garden.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

Paulus59

Nov 8, 2016
Australia
✟96,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

A note from the article:
Still, not everyone is pleased that human composting is becoming more popular. The California Catholic Conference submitted a letter in June opposing AB 351, saying it “reduces the human body to simply a disposable commodity.”
Sounds like a horrible way to process human bodies and who is going to do this job? You realize that maggots, flys and disgusting smell will be involved in this so-called composting process? I wouldn't do that job, so horrible. I will stick to cremation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Most states have laws against mishandling a human corpse, so the CCC's concerns are not completely invalid.

Catholics (and Eastern Orthodox) are also technically opposed to cremation unless there is an overwhelming public good served (such as the bodies being too dangerous to bury).

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Most states have laws against mishandling a human corpse, so the CCC's concerns are not completely invalid.

Catholics (and Eastern Orthodox) are also technically opposed to cremation unless there is an overwhelming public good served (such as the bodies being too dangerous to bury).
They are entitled to their opinions but they don't get to make their opinions normative for all people.

• Agree
Reactions: Mike from NJ
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a horrible way to process human bodies and who is going to do this job? You realize that maggots, flys and disgusting smell will be involved in this so-called composting process? I wouldn't do that job, so horrible. I will stick to cremation.
Some just puts the deceased body in an 8-foot steel box surrounded by biodegradable materials like wood chips. The box is aerated to allow microbes and bacteria to grow. The remains are then decomposed into soil in about 30 to 60 days
My only issue is why steel box, when they can use cheap wood or big paper boxes and bury it 3 to 6 feet deep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a horrible way to process human bodies and who is going to do this job?
Someone who isn’t bothered by it or finds the compensation is enough to make them willing to do it, the same with any other dirty or dangerous task.

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A note from the article:
Similar to the ancient Jewish burial practice. The second step to a burial consisted of collecting the remains in the tomb and putting them into a ossuary. I guess the difference is where the remains end up ?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Im not sure a person should have any say about anything that happens after they die. They arent there. Their opportunity to exert their will is over.

Any condition attached to a will or endowment etc is a contrivance where people who exist are controlled by the intentions of people who dont exist.

• Agree
Reactions: Moral Orel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I die I'm done with this body, I don't need it preserved for hundreds of years.
Cremation is fine, or maybe I'll go with one of those tree burials. (Sky burial would also be cool)

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Im not sure a person should have any say about anything that happens after they die. They arent there. Their opportunity to exert their will is over.

Any condition attached to a will or endowment etc is a contrivance where people who exist are controlled by the intentions of people who dont exist.
I think that once a will has been executed, what the heir(s) do with it is up to them. In the past, it is the oldest son/daughter.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like the tree idea, or maybe they could do these outdoor plants. Biodegradable burial pod turns your body into a tree | CNN

Things such as this are an unneeded addition to a "green burial" and to me smack of the funeral industry looking to add expenses to natural burial they can cash in on. Human remains that have not been embalmed, burred under a tree will decay returning nutrients to the soil, helping that tree grow all on their own with the only human intervention required being digging the hole and planting the tree. $100 at a big box hardware store will get you a two shovels and a tree.

Upvote 0