United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The law doesn't allow that.
How and where people can be burred in the US is a matter of state/local law. As much as the funeral industry wants you to think that upon death everyone must be sent to a funeral home, embalmed, placed in casket with an eye watering mark up and burred in a lined vault at a conventional cemetery you're not legally obligated to do any of that in most cases.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How and where people can be burred in the US is a matter of state/local law. As much as the funeral industry wants you to think that upon death everyone must be sent to a funeral home, embalmed, placed in casket with an eye watering mark up and burred in a lined vault at a conventional cemetery you're not legally obligated to do any of that in most cases.
True, but at the same time you're also not allowed to just dig a hole in your backyard and bury them.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
True, but at the same time you're also not allowed to just dig a hole in your backyard and bury them.
You can in a surprising amount of places.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure the sham industry of "Funeral and Burial services" is none too pleased with this...just a hunch.

If people can find something productive to do with their body after it's ceased to support life, how are they supposed to fleece a grieving family out of $15,000 using guilt tactics and trying to equate their love of the person with how much they're willing to spend on an overpriced box and charge them $1500 for a reception providing mediocre coffee and $50 worth of finger foods?

Do I sound bitter??? lol

I had to run interference last year when my dad died to keep those vultures away from my mom's bank account because they had her talked into spending exorbitant sums for his wake/funeral.

I already have it arranged to donate my body to science when I die. Ohio State University gets my body when I kick the bucket. Let some future doctors cut me up and learn some stuff...it's a better use of the body then burying it in a $8000 box that people will look at for 2 hours, then never see again.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Im not sure a person should have any say about anything that happens after they die. They arent there. Their opportunity to exert their will is over.

Any condition attached to a will or endowment etc is a contrivance where people who exist are controlled by the intentions of people who dont exist.

There are some potential negative implications to notion of not honoring a person's wishes.

For instance, I have it arranged to donate my body to a university, and am an organ donor. If my family decided "well, he's dead, he doesn't get a say" and has some waste of money ceremony and burial, that's potentially a person getting slighted an organ, or some kids not having a body for some of their medical school classes or researchers not having the human material for their use.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I already have it arranged to donate my body to science when I die. Ohio State University gets my body when I kick the bucket. Let some future doctors cut me up and learn some stuff...it's a better use of the body then burying it in a $8000 box that people will look at for 2 hours, then never see again.
One thing that is worth discussing with the university system, if you have not already, is how the remains will be returned after they have been used. A family member donated their body to the local university system and the process went great other than that part. The ashes were mailed back without notice via regular mail. The family member who received it wasn't ready for the gut punch of being handed what was left of their grandfather in a box mixed in with the junk mail.

• Informative
Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One thing that is worth discussing with the university system, if you have not already, is how the remains will be returned after they have been used. A family member donated their body to the local university system and the process went great other than that part. The ashes were mailed back without notice via regular mail. The family member who received it wasn't ready for the gut punch of being handed what was left of their grandfather in a box mixed in with the junk mail.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There are some potential negative implications to notion of not honoring a person's wishes.

For instance, I have it arranged to donate my body to a university, and am an organ donor. If my family decided "well, he's dead, he doesn't get a say" and has some waste of money ceremony and burial, that's potentially a person getting slighted an organ, or some kids not having a body for some of their medical school classes or researchers not having the human material for their use.
Or the opposite could happen and bodies of people who, during life, wanted to be buried go to research or transplants.

It might be enough to count on most survivors honoring the deceased's wishes voluntarily. Either way, there's something wrong about people who dont exist exercising force of law over the living.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Things such as this are an unneeded addition to a "green burial" and to me smack of the funeral industry looking to add expenses to natural burial they can cash in on. Human remains that have not been embalmed, burred under a tree will decay returning nutrients to the soil, helping that tree grow all on their own with the only human intervention required being digging the hole and planting the tree. $100 at a big box hardware store will get you a two shovels and a tree.
And maybe rent a chipper....

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟591,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yes, even then.
No, not so long as people of conscience oppose it, the right to make your own decision on what you do with your body Post death is yours, it's no one else's, and that is the right of it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, not so long as people of conscience oppose it, the right to make your own decision on what you do with your body Post death is yours, it's no one else's, and that is the right of it
People of conscience oppose all sorts of laws. It doesn't stop the law being enforced on them. I don't have to respect your conscience if it tells me that I should allow a human body to be compost for someone's lawn.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟591,618.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
People of conscience oppose all sorts of laws. It doesn't stop the law being enforced on them. I don't have to respect your conscience if it tells me that I should allow a human body to be compost for someone's lawn.
What do you imagine soil to be? It is composed of countless millions of living and dead things including countless humans buried or cremated long before funerary laws were enforced. Moreover I think you are interpreting 'composting' in a way other than it's intended meaning which simply refers to the breaking down of dead material including bodies.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you imagine soil to be? It is composed of countless millions of living and dead things including countless humans buried or cremated long before funerary laws were enforced. Moreover I think you are interpreting 'composting' in a way other than it's intended meaning which simply refers to the breaking down of dead material including bodies.

I would still prefer it be illegal and anyone who does it, they should be punished in some way.

Upvote 0