How would you search the internet without search engines?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was curious what was there before google or search engines.

Did you have to know the websites manually to find them, and how would you find them? Through brochures?
I was on the internet in the days of dial up and slow modems. From memory Yahoo was very popular. There were others - web wombat comes to mind. I don't remember searching apart from a browser. (This was 1990's). Google blew them all away pretty much. That was in 1998.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Back in the olden days, you could go online using Prestel. It was a type of glorified teletext service (more interactive, eg. you could send messages etc) and retrieve a vast amount of information. It was much more expensive though and most people never used it. It certainly didn't have the search engine capabilities we have today.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Did you have to know the websites manually to find them, and how would you find them? Through brochures?
The first networks were between military use groups. Schools formed networks after that. Each network had an index of available functions.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I remember Yahoo, but not what we did prior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
The earliest one I remember using (prior to finding AOL) was Altavista if I remember right. But I got hooked on AOL chat rooms back then, I didn’t do a lot of “searching” for information. That was on Netscape.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The earliest one I remember using (prior to finding AOL) was Altavista if I remember right. But I got hooked on AOL chat rooms back then, I didn’t do a lot of “searching” for information. That was on Netscape.

I had the most fun of my life in an AOL chat. We had funny quips that we reposted and it turned into a reposting rap session that had my sides aching. I spent a summer meeting up with those people later at dance clubs.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm old enough to remember when we used candles and oil lamps to search the internet. We'd bring along a canary, and if the canary died we'd know "don't go there, we're getting close to 4chan".

Upvote 0

Cross Over the Lake

Jan 12, 2020
Lake Havasu City
✟17,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
I'm old enough to remember when we used candles and oil lamps to search the internet. We'd bring along a canary, and if the canary died we'd know "don't go there, we're getting close to 4chan".

I remember when I was a kid I would step out on my porch and yell at my neighbor friend to see if he wanted to come out and play. Now kids be texting each other from the other side of the room.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Generally you built up a list of starting points and followed links from there. However indexing systems started fairly early.

Ah, yes. The good ol' days. The first time I was on the Internet I had to dial into a shared account our company rented from a local university, and the output on my screen looked like something from The Matrix.

It was like party lines for telephones ... for those who experienced party lines. Or maybe it was more like Ham Radio ... for those who experienced Ham Radio.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Arpanet was developed to remain functional after nuclear damage.

internet-map-opte-project.png

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Before Google we had Yahoo. We also were given web site information the same way people give out that information now.

Upvote 0