Status
Not open for further replies.

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Several weeks ago I posted a thread titles "How would you handle?" It concerned asking a disruptive member of the church to leave.

http://www.christianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5866

Everybody had strong opinions, and they were either in support or in disagreement. I want to post a second question that I consider similar.

A new user comes to www.christianforums.com. This person logs in everyday. He asks a lot of questions, and seems honest in his eagerness to learn. However, he spends the greater part of his time here causing problems. He attacks other posters verbally. He posts garbage in the middle of threads. He wastes a lot of space and ties up the time of the moderators. The moderators have talked to him several times asking him to straighten up and follow the rules.

How would you handle this poster? Would you suspend him? Would you ban him?

If you said ban him from the web site, did you ban him from the church? Why or Why Not?

Are you more willing to ban somebody from this web site than from a church? Why or Why Not?

*******Note**********
Moderators this is a question in theory not on written forum rules. Please keep that in mind when answering.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Are you more willing to ban somebody from this web site than from a church? Why or Why Not?

There maybe people here that this is their church. This maybe the only contact and fellowship they have with their fellow christians. Even the Catholic church would rarely ban someone from attending service. They would just ban them from communion. Sense I am not an administrator, I do not know who should and who should not be banned. They have to answer to God, not me. Thanks, JohnR7

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
A new user comes to www.christianforums.com. This person logs in everyday. He asks a lot of questions, and seems honest in his eagerness to learn. However, he spends the greater part of his time here causing problems. He attacks other posters verbally. He posts garbage in the middle of threads. He wastes a lot of space and ties up the time of the moderators. The moderators have talked to him several times asking him to straighten up and follow the rules.

Gee, I'm sorry. I didn't realize it was that bad. I'll stop. ;)

The Bible does allow for a believer to be disciplined by banning, or shunning, if you will. If a person's behavior is so bad and disruptive that it is destroying the order and/or inducing immoral or evil behavior in others, then it is persmissible to put him/her out, for the person's own good. The intent of the shunning is not to be divisive, but to bring the person to repentence.

1 Corinthians 5:1-6
I can hardly believe the report about the sexual immorality going on among you, something so evil that even the pagans don't do it. I am told that you have a man in your church who is living in sin with his father's wife. And you are so proud of yourselves! Why aren't you mourning in sorrow and shame? And why haven't you removed this man from your fellowship? Even though I am not there with you in person, I am with you in the Spirit. Concerning the one who has done this, I have already passed judgment in the name of the Lord Jesus. You are to call a meeting of the church, and I will be there in spirit, and the power of the Lord Jesus will be with you as you meet. Then you must cast this man out of the church and into Satan's hands, so that his sinful nature will be destroyed and he himself will be saved when the Lord returns. How terrible that you should boast about your spirituality, and yet you let this sort of thing go on. Don't you realize that if even one person is allowed to go on sinning, soon all will be affected?

Upvote 0

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
This is more of a question on theory. The reason I ask is as you have stated. Some people consider this their church. If think of this site as my online church. I come here and worship, learn and fellowship.

I ask the question, irregardless of what the forum rules are for banning someone. This is just a hypothetical, what if question. You are in charge of this web site, you make all the rules and you decide who is banned and why.

I ask because I think that people would be more likely to ban somebody from this internet site than they would from their church.

Many people said in the previous thread, "No, never would I ban somebody from the church." I have a theory that the number of people saying "No" will be smaller in this instance. Perhaps it is because you don't have to look at the person you are banning.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. Interesting question. I am one who is all for asking a person to leave the fellowship of the church if he is in sin and refuses to stop, especially if his sin affects others in the church. (1Cor 5:1-6 has already been quoted, so no need to do so here). I have been grieved to watch a church allow certain individuals to remain in a place of outright sin and rebellion and continue to fellowship with them all in the name of "not controlling people". So, given my stance on that, I would take the same stance on this site. If they persist in rebellion, they should be removed so as not to effect others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heapshake

The Great Pumpkin
Mar 11, 2002
Missouri
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will answer this as if it was my forum. I would be less likely to ban someone from the forum then to ask someone to leave a Church. I think people can learn to ignore certain posters, but you shouldn't ignore someone openly going against God in your Church. I don't have a problem with someone openly going against God on this forum though. I think a free flow of ideas is what make this forum what it is. However, I wouldn't have asked the fellow in your Church to leave because I don't consider what he was doing as openly going against God.

To sum up an answer - I wouldn't ban the user, but it isn't my call.

Upvote 0

Martin

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2002
Rochdale
Visit site
✟11,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal response is the same as to the original question...

You have to take care of the flock. You need to protect the sheep from wolves and lions.

The underlying desire is that no-one should be expelled, but that all (believer and non-believer alike) shall enjoy fellowship, learn of the Lord and grow more Christ-like, etc. It's through the love of one to another that people shall know that we are Christ's disciples. If someone is erring (in this case disruptive) he/she should be taken aside and lovingly spoken to, but if there is no change then that person should be put out.

Take a look at 1 Corinthians 5. I know Paul is talking about sexual immorality in this case, but the principle holds good.

Those given authority have a responsibility for the protection of their flock....be that a real church, a cyber church or any other Christian Forum.

Many blessings....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.