How to tell the difference between the Catholic Church and Certain Cults

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something I've been curious about...do you belong to a church at all? As in a physical church with a structure of authority.
Yes, one with a plurality of elders, just like Clement of Rome writes about.

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, one with a plurality of elders, just like Clement of Rome writes about.
I'm actually surprised, because your arguments appear to me to be almost anti any kind of church authority. I don't mean that as a cut either...was just curious.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm actually surprised, because your arguments appear to me to be almost anti any kind of church authority. I don't mean that as a cut either...was just curious.
Why so?

I'm in favor of Godly men being in charge of the direction of the Christ loving community, providing they follow scripture 1st and foremost.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That comment like most pro-church authority statements, sounds to me to be almost anti God's authority. No malice intended here, either. I'm comfortable letting people decide for themselves. I don't believe any of us were given dominion over another.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Excellent.
It's like, "How can we make man aware of his sin w/out law?

Well, the truth is, it takes divine intervention because the will has been rendered biased toward sin. Any freedom we can imagine it ever had is stained by the inescapable fact of our spiritual entropy.
But scaffolding of spiritual wisdom is not dependant upon an external or even 'christian' facade. Paul pointed out there are Gentiles who are conscientious toward God, indicating the spiritual delivery device of religion is at best a crutch, necessary for some of us, but hopefully something we'll outgrow.

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That comment like most pro-church authority statements, sounds to me to be almost anti God's authority. No malice intended here, either. I'm comfortable letting people decide for themselves. I don't believe any of us were given dominion over another.
I'm not taking it as such :) However, I would have to disagree considering God does set up authorities.

Upvote 0