Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly, and I first learned that lesson in the Reformed churches. I'm actually surprised to see some here that seem to claim "reformed" denying such (not you ;) ). Nowhere did I say that everyone is going and starting their own denomination, but rather I'm saying that we need to not encourage, in fact discourage, the idea of "me, my bible, and my closet" aka Lone Ranger syndrome. It's not a denominational slogan. It's something that I've seen throughout my life and to the extreme detriment of many.

Yeah...the "me, my bible, and my prayer closet" thing is totally out of control.
It leads away from the Faith IMHO.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

"amoung you" does not mean "each of you go, read by yourselves, and believe your own interpretation". Look where that has gotten people over the past 2000yrs. It's speaking to whole groups. Now if you and I both read something, and we come to two different conclusions, are we both right?
We do read the scripture and we also assemble ourselves togther and hear the scripture preached.. This is where our faith comes from. Our faith does not come from the ECF but from hearing by the word of God.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

If you honesltly believe scripture was meant to be used so each individual can start their own belief system based soley on their own interpretation then that's what you believe.

I will just have to disagree with you 120%
:confused: Scripture was meant to build our faith. So that we can hear from our Father in Heaven and what He has to say about matters.. I don't know where you get that everyone starts their own belief system.

Upvote 0
M

MamaZ

yes I agree but the rationale you are using is used by many who are in charge of their own denominations that are springing up like weeds.
I agree scripture is not just for Pastor but for the students as well.

In school everyone has a text book, but is everyone the teacher?
we are to learn and worship TOGETHER, not run off and start your own class.
:confused:

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Basically what he's trying to state is that...for example:

I read some scripture...and I tell my elders in our church what it means during a study or something...and I'm wrong...they TELL ME I'm wrong in a loving way of course ;)...they are "keepers of sound orthodox doctrine" for us in the PCA. Our church session guards against heresy and unorthodox scripture interpretation. It's a mild form of the way the Catholic church did/does it I think.
Loving correction by authority is not unbiblical in the least....and IMHO that's what people need now a days....WAY too many lone ranger interpreters out there starting "non-denominational" churches.

thankyou for listening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Basically what he's trying to state is that...for example:

I read some scripture...and I tell my elders in our church what it means during a study or something...and I'm wrong...they TELL ME I'm wrong in a loving way of course ;)...they are "keepers of sound orthodox doctrine" for us in the PCA. Our church session guards against heresy and unorthodox scripture interpretation. It's a mild form of the way the Catholic church did/does it I think.
Loving correction by authority is not unbiblical in the least....and IMHO that's what people need now a days....WAY too many lone ranger interpreters out there starting "non-denominational" churches.

thankyou for listening.

well stated my friend

who says a Calvinist and an Arminian can't get along and agree on alot of things?:wave:

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So if God calls a man to preach and to build church's then what?

If God did actually call the Man to build a separate Church then yes, you do what he says.

but do believe God is calling a Man every week with a different spin on his word to start a separate Church?

Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
:confused: Scripture was meant to build our faith. So that we can hear from our Father in Heaven and what He has to say about matters.. I don't know where you get that everyone starts their own belief system.

ohh lets see there is

John Hagee Ministiry
Pat Robertson's Minisitry
Stephen Baldwin has his own Minisitry
Joel Olsteen has his own Minisitry
Kurt Cameron has his own Ministry

shall I keep going?

all based upon their own teaching and their own interpretation of scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't a great deal of reformed Christians hold that the church at Rome is a cult?
I think you're right. In my neck of the woods, Catholicism is spoken of in hushed tones
with maybe a wink thrown in here and there... or raised eyebrows.
I thought the definition of cult was exclusiveness. "we are the only way"
OH, well in that case I can better appreciate why reformers have formed that opinion.
Funny thing is though, imo, their ways are so similar to the CC!
In fact, do they too say that theirs is the only way?
One way to tell is that catholic are allowed to read other books by other denominations and look to history. Cults like Jw's are not allowed to do that.
Glad to know that catholics can now read whatever they like!

What makes your ability to interpret him any better than your ability to interpret scripture,.
(font changed by me)
And this is a very exciting and important point Simon.
I hope EVERYone reads and considers this...
It's just common sense but often we miss that, amen?

Blessings sunlover

Reactions: boswd
Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think you're right. In my neck of the woods, Catholicism is spoken of in hushed tones
with maybe a wink thrown in here and there... or raised eyebrows.

OH, well in that case I can better appreciate why reformers have formed that opinion.
Funny thing is though, imo, their ways are so similar to the CC!
In fact, do they too say that theirs is the only way?

Glad to know that catholics can now read whatever they like!

(font changed by me)
And this is a very exciting and important point Simon.
I hope EVERYone reads and considers this...
It's just common sense but often we miss that, amen?

Blessings sunlover

how rural is your area Sunlover? if you dont' mind me asking.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
how rural is your area Sunlover? if you dont' mind me asking.

not at all. (trying to think of something to compare
it to :)
We have a tractor supply store ;)
but then again I could ride bike to Macy's
from here.
We'll call it suburbia. I live in a new development
built somewhat near other developments, among onion farms
and so forth.

We had ONE catholic church in the small town
I moved from 4 years ago. AFAIK
And I'd be quite surprised if we have a catholic
church in the smaller town I now live in.

My current city was named one of the top
ten places in the country to raise a family
according to this author

I was raised Catholic and so I am very familiar with
the treatment from the reformed folks (which is the
denomination of most of the folks in my area)
I was once a victim of their overt hatred.

OTOH, I witnessed the response from those like me towards
those reformed folks as well.
All quite pleasant eh?

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ohh lets see there is

John Hagee Ministiry
Pat Robertson's Minisitry
Stephen Baldwin has his own Minisitry
Joel Olsteen has his own Minisitry
Kurt Cameron has his own Ministry

shall I keep going?

all based upon their own teaching and their own interpretation of scripture.
Ministries are not churches, we should all have ministries.:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ministries are not churches, we should all have ministries.:doh:

maybe in the stricktest sense of the word but not in these cases these guys have started their own Churches/Denominations using the word Ministries.

the term Ministries has become synonomus with Church/Denominations

Last edited:
Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
maybe in the stricktest sense of the word but not in these cases these guys have started their own Churches/Denominations using the word Ministries.
here's something people should understand, ministries and churches differ greatly. I would never be a part of a church that called itself a ministry and not a church because usually they do fall under the direct rule of whose ever ministry it is and not ruled by elders. BIG difference.
This usuage is most common in prosperity and WofF in both case i'd i would question whether they (the leaders) were true followers.

Reactions: boswd
Upvote 0

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
here's something people should understand, ministries and churches differ greatly. I would never be a part of a church that called itself a ministry and not a church because usually they do fall under the direct rule of whose ever ministry it is and not ruled by elders. BIG difference.
This usuage is most common in prosperity and WofF in both case i'd i would question whether they (the leaders) were true followers.

yup I agree but I wouldn't just single out WOF though they are very prevelent.

Upvote 0

Etsi

Nov 8, 2009
✟9,724.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Something I've been curious about...do you belong to a church at all? As in a physical church with a structure of authority.

Upvote 0