Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
To make the list complete Uranus should be reclassified as well. :)
I was wondering when that was going to be brought up. Incidentally, there is a community in Missouri named Uranus.

iu

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll comment on it afterwards, fair enough?

As promised, here's my comment:

She makes a good point about not calling Pluto a 'dwarf planet.'

Other than that ... no comment.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What in the world does it mean, when they say a planet has to "clear its orbit"?
Perhaps you mean "clearing the neighborhood." Pluto, has not cleared other objects from its orbit. But neither have some planets. Pluto, for example, encroaches on Neptune's orbital path. I don't think that's considered a viable planetary distinction now.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As promised, here's my comment:

She makes a good point about not calling Pluto a 'dwarf planet.'

Other than that ... no comment.
A problem with her arguments is that she was looking at Pluto through the lens of 2006 and today, not at the time of its discovery in 1930.
For example astronomers seriously miscalculated the mass of Pluto unaware at the time a large percentage of its mass was taken up by its moon Charon which was discovered in 1977.
If astronomers knew as much of Pluto in 1930 as they do now, Pluto would never have been classified as a planet but as a very large asteroid which is smaller and less massive than our moon.

She clearly has a passionate opinion of the controversy having researched the subject such the opinions of the average person in the street as well as those of scientists, the extensive press coverage at the time and her reference to the IAU as the "International Association of Cowards".
What is conspicuously absent is any reference to vote rigging or ignoring bylaws just as the press had done at the time.
This is because was no nefarious activities behind the voting, you are smearing science by perpetrating this lie.

I don’t put much stock on AI providing useful information on technical subjects but as a search engine answering the simple question “Was the vote rigged when Pluto was reclassified?”, Bing stated the answer was negative.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0