Evening Mist

gentle mother
Feb 7, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
✟997.00
Faith
Christian
We have trouble with antibiotics. They are nasty, our kids are smart, and there is just no masking the taste. We resort to bribery for antibiotics.

For other kinds of medicine -- like allergy medicine or tylenol, we let it be "their choice." We kind of lay it out for them -- even the 2 year old -- "this medicine will keep you from coughing all night long and help you to rest, or take away your ear owie, or whatever." Then we set it on the counter with a drink of water and stand back. Sometimes they grimace and take it. Sometimes they go to bed without it. When they choose to skip it, they are usually up again within 20 minutes saying they changed their mind, and asking for another chance.

Once or twice we've had to force pain medication in the middler the night when they could not wake up enough to reason with them, but they were in too much pain to actually fall sound asleep either. I hate doing that. :(

Upvote 0

Beckijhn

Feb 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
*****At what age? When they were little he masked it or forced it (especially eye drops and ear drops - sitting on a kids arms and holding th eye open - poor baby). After about 4 or 5 they don't have a choice and obediently take it. Usually followed by yummy juice or popsicles.

Even now my poor 12yodd has to take some REALLY nasty vitamins (liquid and powerful) that make me gag at the smell, but she takes it and grimaces, then moves on.

I don't make them take allergy or pain meds, that's their choice unless they sniffle and rub nose and eyes to an extreme. Then they have to!!!!*****

ooooh, just read the title LOL - I hold them down! ~smile~

Upvote 0

Doreen

Can I go back to sleep now?
Mar 9, 2003
Australia
Visit site
✟7,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I mostly have to get Lillian (my 2 and a half yr old) onto floor, put my legs lover hers, get her into a wrestling grip and then squirt medicine down throuat while she's complaining. or else wait till she's in bath then surprize her - then when she spits she's easier to clean up!!!!!

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
I guess we're fortunate, we've not had trouble getting our daughter (2) to take her meds. For allergy/cold we get the bubble gum flavored Benadryl, she seems to like the taste of it, she'll just drink and tell me she's "a big girl" for taking it. She actually asks for her vitamins. My wife has to take a regiment of pills morning and night, so Chloe thinks she's being like mommy by taking her pill. It's actually kinda cute.

Sorry, no suggestions as far as how to disguise the taste.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,776,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've not had a problem with getting my kids to take stuff either. I almost have the opposite problem, where they will ask for the stuff even if they're not sick. I have to keep the stuff up on a hiiigghhhh shelf.

I have a daily regimen myself of taking supplements and meds. When they see me doing that they come running over and ask for their vitamins too. We get vitamins that are shaped like animals, then we have a guessing game, which color animal do you think you will get, and what animal will it be? ( I close my eyes and pick). The most coveted vitamin in our house is the cat shaped one:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums